Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Paft

Re: Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Post by Paft » 11 Jul 2019, 15:51

Once again, thanks for the info.

Off topic again-- Has anyone found a mount for this? Looking around it looks like because of the circle at the back most vesa mounts won't fit in it. I had a breif look at non-vesa version that grip the bezel but most seem to overlap and block the display a little..

I have this desk against the wall. https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/fredde-des ... -50219044/
Because of the OTT design of the monitor and stand it is too close to my face. I can push it right back but one of the legs falls of the edge; I have to put a faulty HDD under it to prop it steady, which is how I have it now.

UpsetDavid

Post by UpsetDavid » 05 Aug 2019, 21:09

Hi Paft!

I had the same issue w/ my XG258 - much to my dismay.
I ended up going to a local hardware store (Ace Hardware, in my area) and I bought some nylon spacers and the appropriate/matching screw length wise (an example here: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3- ... /204276577 )

I'm not very happy with the colors/banding/etc on my XG258 - but overall it's the better 240hz monitor I've used. I regret returning my AW2518H - It was by far the best, but quite pricey at the time and mine had issues with the g-sync module.

Paft

Post by Paft » 06 Aug 2019, 12:34

Hi, thanks. Yeah, got one now: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Although, the Freddie Ikea desk isn't compatible with it since you cannot tighten the clamp. I couldn't be bothered returning it since it was partly my faultand it was cheap enough anyway. I just have it hanging from the top shelf. I read the ASUS manual which lists M4 screws. I ordered 'Hexagonal M4 Male Brass Spacer Pillars Standoff PCB Hexagon Hex Stand Off Screws' from eBay. I don't know what the size of the original standoffs are but I used 17mm.
Last edited by Paft on 06 Aug 2019, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.

steel116

Post by steel116 » 06 Aug 2019, 16:11

Paft wrote:
Wicket wrote:Hello,

I have used Benq XL2411, 144Hz, AMA: high, overshoot is noticeable, but i can live with it. Does the Asus XG258Q have better 240Hz overdrive at OD3 level than Benq AMA: high, same or more overshoot?
Don't take my word for it but I imagine the Benq is miles better regarding overshoot. Notty likes his Asus XG258Q but I wouldn't recommend it at all. I wish I sent it back..it's too annoying. Even with a control pad (single player games) it's noticeable. Have to turn it to 2 or less.

Off topic
Anyone tried "O.C" it. I seem to be able to bump it up to 255+Hz. Not had time to test if it's frame skipping or if its stable.
Thats what i said earlier. Notty is only praising his XG258Q while majority of people say its uncomfortable and unplayable for longer period of time. Overdrive on 2 is even noticeable and you get eye strain in 1-2 hours. You buy Asus XG258Q to use it at only 2 out of 5 levels of responsiveness. Its like buying a sports car to only drive 50km/h. (yes, overdrive have an impact on responsiveness of monitor) but okey, you can skip that. But getting constantly annoyed by the ghosting is worse.

Paft

Post by Paft » 06 Aug 2019, 17:06

It isn't fit for sale in my books. On very basic graphical games like QL/TFC/CS 1.6 you can deal with OD 3. But modern titles look like turd even at OD 2, as you said. 3 is unusable. I've been playing Hunt: Showdown and OD 3 is unplayable.

I might jump on the ASUS forums and give the monitor a bashing on there. See if ASUS actually respond.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 07 Aug 2019, 00:22

steel116 wrote:
Paft wrote:
Wicket wrote:Hello,

I have used Benq XL2411, 144Hz, AMA: high, overshoot is noticeable, but i can live with it. Does the Asus XG258Q have better 240Hz overdrive at OD3 level than Benq AMA: high, same or more overshoot?
Don't take my word for it but I imagine the Benq is miles better regarding overshoot. Notty likes his Asus XG258Q but I wouldn't recommend it at all. I wish I sent it back..it's too annoying. Even with a control pad (single player games) it's noticeable. Have to turn it to 2 or less.

Off topic
Anyone tried "O.C" it. I seem to be able to bump it up to 255+Hz. Not had time to test if it's frame skipping or if its stable.
Thats what i said earlier. Notty is only praising his XG258Q while majority of people say its uncomfortable and unplayable for longer period of time. Overdrive on 2 is even noticeable and you get eye strain in 1-2 hours. You buy Asus XG258Q to use it at only 2 out of 5 levels of responsiveness. Its like buying a sports car to only drive 50km/h. (yes, overdrive have an impact on responsiveness of monitor) but okey, you can skip that. But getting constantly annoyed by the ghosting is worse.

I really do hate when people lie without confirming whaf they are saying. I have said countless times that the only reason I kept the xg25 was the ultra low input lag and good 120hz gsync overdrive. I even said on a thread that it causes me eye strain, altho due to size, until I fixed it.

More, each one has opinions. You guys care so much about some details, While I play games and look at my performance and what I see in game. You should do the same. You buy 240hz and hardware to keep up (cpu, gpu) to have better stats/performance.

Plus this model is "old news" now, with the Omen X 25F launch wich surprasses every 240hz monitor.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 07 Aug 2019, 00:25

Paft wrote:It isn't fit for sale in my books. On very basic graphical games like QL/TFC/CS 1.6 you can deal with OD 3. But modern titles look like turd even at OD 2, as you said. 3 is unusable. I've been playing Hunt: Showdown and OD 3 is unplayable.

I might jump on the ASUS forums and give the monitor a bashing on there. See if ASUS actually respond.
I used OD3 on quake champions, black ops, battlefield and apex, no problem. Its overdrive is as bad, if not better than every other 240hz model apart from few exceptions. Wich means it's not great, but apart from XG248Q and Omen x25f no model is.

Farsot

Post by Farsot » 13 Oct 2019, 06:33

@notty_PT what settings are you using for the XG258q ?

singleDADAN

Post by singleDADAN » 05 Nov 2019, 05:49

Notty_PT wrote:Asus XG258Q is my current daily driver, but only because of its ultra low input lag. It is the fastest monitor I ever used in my life, CRT included, input lag wise, and it made me beat all my personal records aim wise. I even got this few days ago:

Don´t get me wrong,I don´t want to be "cocky", but I have never seen someone hitting 67% LG accuracy even on pubs, or even against bots on Quake Champions; and I watch the big players streaming. I was never able to reach such accuracy on other monitors, so there is defo something big about Asus XG258Q. I also beat my previous personal records on Aim Hero, wich is an Aim Trainer with exercies -> https://store.steampowered.com/app/518030/Aim_Hero/ -> On the "Simple" game mode with 30sec time limit I was able to hit 58 moving targets with 100% accuracy, not a single miss. That´s almost 2 moving targets per second with 100% accuracy (involves a lot of flicks). This is crazy high and I could NEVER do this on any other monitor.
Hello Notty pls sorry for my bad english can u pls tell me what exactly settings u are using on your xg258q, im a competitive player i need best settings for lowest input lag and fast response time, racing or fps mode, what OD level etc. this your picture with 67% with what settings ? and with hdmi or displayport ? I read somewhere that hdmi is faster so im using hdmi connection

Paft

Post by Paft » 05 Nov 2019, 13:55

He already said what settings he uses in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5415&p=41696&hilit=settings#p41696

Here's the file if you use 'ASUS DisplayWidget':
(My Gdrive is full so it will have to be mediafire)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1lpa3lkba ... ty_PT.axml