Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Post Reply
steel116
Posts: 33
Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 06:23

Re: Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Post by steel116 » 27 Jun 2019, 02:49

Notty_PT wrote:
ogchampion wrote:I've been comparing my stable of monitors (ViewSonic XG2402 & XG240R, LG 24GL600F, Asus PG278Q) to the XG258Q over the last week across UFO Motion Test, gaming (Apex Legends) and Aim Lab.

It is ridiculous how much better my performance metrics are in Aim Lab with the XG258Q. I'm consistently posting sub 325 ms reaction times with 85-90% accuracy in SpiderShot Speed. It feels so easy.

With my other (144hz) monitors I can post sub 350ms in the same SpiderShot test but accuracy suffers and it takes a lot of concentration and focus to achieve.

I can see and feel a difference between 144hz and 240hz. XG258Q simply feels more connected to my mouse inputs. It feels like the information at my crosshairs gets updated faster and more frequently. It is objectively faster for me.

The only other monitor I've tried which compares in terms of raw Aim Lab performance metrics is the Zowie XL2546. I only got rid of that monitor because I wanted VRR.

If the XG258Q had better overdrive I think my search for a monitor would be over!
My research is pretty much over too, and will only be restarted once a smaller 240hz screen appears. I still like to try some 144hz models like the LG 24GL600F and I want to try the ViewSonic VX2458 wich seems to be using the exact same panel (23,6 144hz).

Asus XG258Q is too good for competitive gaming, with the settings I am using the overshoot is not as noticeable (still there tho, but more than acceptable). The input lag on this monitor makes it a perfect weapon for competitive games. I also beat all my records with it and the connected feel you mentioned is what makes me keep it, even tho I don´t like its size. I won´t even bother with any of the "new" 0,5ms 240hz monitors. Now next step is trying a 24 or sub 24 240hz monitor if some comes out. So far only the XG248Q. If nothing appears, my research is over, 240hz wise.

I´m still trying 144hz models because new consoles will have 120hz support and I play a console game competitively. LG 24GL600F is a keeper, I´m selling everything else now. VX2458 will be the next monitor I will buy.

XG2402 is about to leave the house, so is the VG255H, VX238H and XG248Q. Already sold my AlienWare AW2518HF 240hz and PG258Q 240hz. Never again, most 240hz models are too bad to be true, with a lot of flaws. Companies make so much profit with these products and I feel bad for people wasting so much money on sub par products... Wish I could scream to all gamers sometimes: don´t get certain model, get this instead. But it is what it is. I get fooled too when I buy products from other areas, as I´m not an expert at them (cars, food/restaurants or guitars).

So far my conclusions:

Best competitive PC gaming monitor ever: Asus XG258Q 240hz

Best competitive console gaming monitor ever, also very good for most PCs: LG 24 GL600F 144hz/120hz/60hz

Best Single Player screen for both PC/Console: LG oled series or Samsung QLED series
You only test monitor during one game which is your Quake. Zero spectacular tests, its just based on your opinion, and when most people ask you about details you claim that you hit best score with it in only one single game. Nonsense.

I already tried 3 units of AlienWare AW2518HF and 3 Units of Asus XG258Q.

If i set both monitors to perfect settings, the AW2518hf is hands down way better in terms of OverDrive (you can set Dell to Super Fast overdrive 'its the highest option') and have 0 problems with ghosting and actually perfect ufo motion on test. After Switching to Asus it hurts my eyes so bad and i get eye strain so quickly. The Ghosting is so noticeable. I tested these monitors for 2,5 month to get to conclusion that Dell is superior to Asus in terms of everything. Feels way better (maybe because that you can use monitor at it max capacity and speed) instead using ASUS at OD 2 of 5 levels (which is a meme for me) and it still has visible blurry/ghosting trails.

Colors are better on Dell, thats for sure, and no matter what i do, overdrive on asus is garbage. On Dell its so simple to set everything well to have pefect clarity motion. But Dell AW2518HF has one minor problem which annoys me that i can't stand - All units have backlight bleeding, white glowing spots, or black uniformity.

Notty_PT
Posts: 482
Joined: 09 Aug 2017, 02:50

Re: Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Post by Notty_PT » 27 Jun 2019, 05:50

steel116 wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:
ogchampion wrote:I've been comparing my stable of monitors (ViewSonic XG2402 & XG240R, LG 24GL600F, Asus PG278Q) to the XG258Q over the last week across UFO Motion Test, gaming (Apex Legends) and Aim Lab.

It is ridiculous how much better my performance metrics are in Aim Lab with the XG258Q. I'm consistently posting sub 325 ms reaction times with 85-90% accuracy in SpiderShot Speed. It feels so easy.

With my other (144hz) monitors I can post sub 350ms in the same SpiderShot test but accuracy suffers and it takes a lot of concentration and focus to achieve.

I can see and feel a difference between 144hz and 240hz. XG258Q simply feels more connected to my mouse inputs. It feels like the information at my crosshairs gets updated faster and more frequently. It is objectively faster for me.

The only other monitor I've tried which compares in terms of raw Aim Lab performance metrics is the Zowie XL2546. I only got rid of that monitor because I wanted VRR.

If the XG258Q had better overdrive I think my search for a monitor would be over!
My research is pretty much over too, and will only be restarted once a smaller 240hz screen appears. I still like to try some 144hz models like the LG 24GL600F and I want to try the ViewSonic VX2458 wich seems to be using the exact same panel (23,6 144hz).

Asus XG258Q is too good for competitive gaming, with the settings I am using the overshoot is not as noticeable (still there tho, but more than acceptable). The input lag on this monitor makes it a perfect weapon for competitive games. I also beat all my records with it and the connected feel you mentioned is what makes me keep it, even tho I don´t like its size. I won´t even bother with any of the "new" 0,5ms 240hz monitors. Now next step is trying a 24 or sub 24 240hz monitor if some comes out. So far only the XG248Q. If nothing appears, my research is over, 240hz wise.

I´m still trying 144hz models because new consoles will have 120hz support and I play a console game competitively. LG 24GL600F is a keeper, I´m selling everything else now. VX2458 will be the next monitor I will buy.

XG2402 is about to leave the house, so is the VG255H, VX238H and XG248Q. Already sold my AlienWare AW2518HF 240hz and PG258Q 240hz. Never again, most 240hz models are too bad to be true, with a lot of flaws. Companies make so much profit with these products and I feel bad for people wasting so much money on sub par products... Wish I could scream to all gamers sometimes: don´t get certain model, get this instead. But it is what it is. I get fooled too when I buy products from other areas, as I´m not an expert at them (cars, food/restaurants or guitars).

So far my conclusions:

Best competitive PC gaming monitor ever: Asus XG258Q 240hz

Best competitive console gaming monitor ever, also very good for most PCs: LG 24 GL600F 144hz/120hz/60hz

Best Single Player screen for both PC/Console: LG oled series or Samsung QLED series
You only test monitor during one game which is your Quake. Zero spectacular tests, its just based on your opinion, and when most people ask you about details you claim that you hit best score with it in only one single game. Nonsense.

I already tried 3 units of AlienWare AW2518HF and 3 Units of Asus XG258Q.

If i set both monitors to perfect settings, the AW2518hf is hands down way better in terms of OverDrive (you can set Dell to Super Fast overdrive 'its the highest option') and have 0 problems with ghosting and actually perfect ufo motion on test. After Switching to Asus it hurts my eyes so bad and i get eye strain so quickly. The Ghosting is so noticeable. I tested these monitors for 2,5 month to get to conclusion that Dell is superior to Asus in terms of everything. Feels way better (maybe because that you can use monitor at it max capacity and speed) instead using ASUS at OD 2 of 5 levels (which is a meme for me) and it still has visible blurry/ghosting trails.

Colors are better on Dell, thats for sure, and no matter what i do, overdrive on asus is garbage. On Dell its so simple to set everything well to have pefect clarity motion. But Dell AW2518HF has one minor problem which annoys me that i can't stand - All units have backlight bleeding, white glowing spots, or black uniformity.
DIdn´t you just use zero spectacular tests and talked based on your opinion too? What if I just said the same as you did, "nonsense"?

There you go buddy, you have your opinion, I have mine. At least I can show my point with stats, numbers, maths. Wich is the accuracy on a very high skilled game, to levels that I never did before. Do you have any accuracy stats to show?

Wether you find it nonsense or not, that´s up to you, won´t change my mind a single bit and forums work like this. Everyone gives his opinion. You like AW2518HF, I don´t, because the overshoot/inversion is way worse than XG258Q, so is the input lag. It has better image quality, better contrast and it´s also cheaper. You prefer it? Nice! use it, but don´t come on here saying someone´s opinion is "nonsense", when you just did the same. You wrote yours, without any "spectacular tests" (your own words). There are no perfect monitors, much less 240hz wise and much less from Asus wich is a brand I personally don´t like. But you have to keep in mind everyone is different and everyone looks for different stuff, Someone looking for Dyac/high quality strobing, will go Benq XL2546 and no matter how much you say Alienware or Asus are better, that strobing lover won´t change his mind. If I´m on 240hz I want minimum possible input lag, XG258Q is CRT alike a noticeably improved my performance. Then you have people that loves Gsync Ultimate and got a PG258Q because they can´t live without proper variable overdrive and Gsync module. It is what it is.

Cheers :)

Paft
Posts: 19
Joined: 03 Jun 2019, 14:03

Re: Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Post by Paft » 27 Jun 2019, 15:21

I held on to it instead of returning, It's now past 30 days on eBay, doubt I can return it without a fight. I was hoping I'd get used to it but I still think the default (3) overdrive is unacceptable. 3 is poor so what's the point of having 4 and 5 when at those settings it gives games a terrible comic book effect. On the UFO test 3 doesn't seem that bad, just coronas I think. But in game it's far more noticeable.

Like you Notty_PT, I'll just stick with this until something superior comes out (that isn't stupidly priced.) Like you said: "[...]Companies make so much profit with these products and I feel bad for people wasting so much money on sub par products... [...]". I don't feel like wasting any more money.


Thanks for all the input everyone.

theangryregulator
Posts: 77
Joined: 21 Jan 2019, 22:11

Re: Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Post by theangryregulator » 27 Jun 2019, 16:32

yeah I had the same opinion about OD 2/3 on this model so I returned it. I didn't notice the bad overdrive in fortnite or overwatch for some reason but it was super bad in BFV/NS2/HOTS so it had to go.

ogchampion
Posts: 21
Joined: 17 Mar 2019, 18:23

Re: Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Post by ogchampion » 28 Jun 2019, 05:33

I too found it odd how the overdrive can look pretty damn good in UFO Test but then awful in Apex Legends.

Notty_PT
Posts: 482
Joined: 09 Aug 2017, 02:50

Re: Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Post by Notty_PT » 28 Jun 2019, 06:31

Every Asus monitor has this problem, they dont care. They sell their products at a really high price tag and consider them the best.

However this isnt only due to Asus on 240hz department. These new AUO 24,5 panels all suffer from worse overdrive, even pcmonitors website mentioned that recently.

It's a matter of trades. I traded perfect overdrive (XG2402/GL600) for almost half input lag with worse overdrive, simply because it made me play better, and as I said on its thread I didnt want to keep the xg258q but 2 factors forced me to keep it. The accuracy and the fact I was getting praised for my aim when using it; the fact gsync works so well at 120fps cap with even better overdrive than 200fps, wich turned out to be amazing solution for games harder to run.

pwn
Posts: 48
Joined: 15 Jan 2019, 18:22

Re: Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Post by pwn » 28 Jun 2019, 09:05

And what settings do you use in the nvidia control panel?

Notty_PT
Posts: 482
Joined: 09 Aug 2017, 02:50

Re: Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Post by Notty_PT » 28 Jun 2019, 10:31

Nothing special, just no scaling, pre rendered frames on 1 always and Limited RGB instead of Complete, wich helps a lot with overdrive as Chief mentioned several times too!

steel116
Posts: 33
Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 06:23

Re: Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Post by steel116 » 28 Jun 2019, 11:44

Notty_PT wrote:
steel116 wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:
ogchampion wrote:I've been comparing my stable of monitors (ViewSonic XG2402 & XG240R, LG 24GL600F, Asus PG278Q) to the XG258Q over the last week across UFO Motion Test, gaming (Apex Legends) and Aim Lab.

It is ridiculous how much better my performance metrics are in Aim Lab with the XG258Q. I'm consistently posting sub 325 ms reaction times with 85-90% accuracy in SpiderShot Speed. It feels so easy.

With my other (144hz) monitors I can post sub 350ms in the same SpiderShot test but accuracy suffers and it takes a lot of concentration and focus to achieve.

I can see and feel a difference between 144hz and 240hz. XG258Q simply feels more connected to my mouse inputs. It feels like the information at my crosshairs gets updated faster and more frequently. It is objectively faster for me.

The only other monitor I've tried which compares in terms of raw Aim Lab performance metrics is the Zowie XL2546. I only got rid of that monitor because I wanted VRR.

If the XG258Q had better overdrive I think my search for a monitor would be over!
My research is pretty much over too, and will only be restarted once a smaller 240hz screen appears. I still like to try some 144hz models like the LG 24GL600F and I want to try the ViewSonic VX2458 wich seems to be using the exact same panel (23,6 144hz).

Asus XG258Q is too good for competitive gaming, with the settings I am using the overshoot is not as noticeable (still there tho, but more than acceptable). The input lag on this monitor makes it a perfect weapon for competitive games. I also beat all my records with it and the connected feel you mentioned is what makes me keep it, even tho I don´t like its size. I won´t even bother with any of the "new" 0,5ms 240hz monitors. Now next step is trying a 24 or sub 24 240hz monitor if some comes out. So far only the XG248Q. If nothing appears, my research is over, 240hz wise.

I´m still trying 144hz models because new consoles will have 120hz support and I play a console game competitively. LG 24GL600F is a keeper, I´m selling everything else now. VX2458 will be the next monitor I will buy.

XG2402 is about to leave the house, so is the VG255H, VX238H and XG248Q. Already sold my AlienWare AW2518HF 240hz and PG258Q 240hz. Never again, most 240hz models are too bad to be true, with a lot of flaws. Companies make so much profit with these products and I feel bad for people wasting so much money on sub par products... Wish I could scream to all gamers sometimes: don´t get certain model, get this instead. But it is what it is. I get fooled too when I buy products from other areas, as I´m not an expert at them (cars, food/restaurants or guitars).

So far my conclusions:

Best competitive PC gaming monitor ever: Asus XG258Q 240hz

Best competitive console gaming monitor ever, also very good for most PCs: LG 24 GL600F 144hz/120hz/60hz

Best Single Player screen for both PC/Console: LG oled series or Samsung QLED series
You only test monitor during one game which is your Quake. Zero spectacular tests, its just based on your opinion, and when most people ask you about details you claim that you hit best score with it in only one single game. Nonsense.

I already tried 3 units of AlienWare AW2518HF and 3 Units of Asus XG258Q.

If i set both monitors to perfect settings, the AW2518hf is hands down way better in terms of OverDrive (you can set Dell to Super Fast overdrive 'its the highest option') and have 0 problems with ghosting and actually perfect ufo motion on test. After Switching to Asus it hurts my eyes so bad and i get eye strain so quickly. The Ghosting is so noticeable. I tested these monitors for 2,5 month to get to conclusion that Dell is superior to Asus in terms of everything. Feels way better (maybe because that you can use monitor at it max capacity and speed) instead using ASUS at OD 2 of 5 levels (which is a meme for me) and it still has visible blurry/ghosting trails.

Colors are better on Dell, thats for sure, and no matter what i do, overdrive on asus is garbage. On Dell its so simple to set everything well to have pefect clarity motion. But Dell AW2518HF has one minor problem which annoys me that i can't stand - All units have backlight bleeding, white glowing spots, or black uniformity.
DIdn´t you just use zero spectacular tests and talked based on your opinion too? What if I just said the same as you did, "nonsense"?

There you go buddy, you have your opinion, I have mine. At least I can show my point with stats, numbers, maths. Wich is the accuracy on a very high skilled game, to levels that I never did before. Do you have any accuracy stats to show?

Wether you find it nonsense or not, that´s up to you, won´t change my mind a single bit and forums work like this. Everyone gives his opinion. You like AW2518HF, I don´t, because the overshoot/inversion is way worse than XG258Q, so is the input lag. It has better image quality, better contrast and it´s also cheaper. You prefer it? Nice! use it, but don´t come on here saying someone´s opinion is "nonsense", when you just did the same. You wrote yours, without any "spectacular tests" (your own words). There are no perfect monitors, much less 240hz wise and much less from Asus wich is a brand I personally don´t like. But you have to keep in mind everyone is different and everyone looks for different stuff, Someone looking for Dyac/high quality strobing, will go Benq XL2546 and no matter how much you say Alienware or Asus are better, that strobing lover won´t change his mind. If I´m on 240hz I want minimum possible input lag, XG258Q is CRT alike a noticeably improved my performance. Then you have people that loves Gsync Ultimate and got a PG258Q because they can´t live without proper variable overdrive and Gsync module. It is what it is.

Cheers :)
The point is, that thare are almost 0 posts around (reddit, or this forum) about people complaining about Dell AW2518HF Overdrive, while if you look at Asus, there are multiple threads - like really a LOT about people complaining how shit is ghosting and overdrive, which in most cases and games (not actually playing only Quake) makes playing almost not fun, since you get eye-strain so quickly. Btw, how can you compare input lag via Asus and Dell? simply you cannot unless there is the same website and provide the same specialized review, using the same testing method. I'm not saying Dell is perfect, since there might be pixel inversion and Backlight bleeding/black deformity which is SHIT and annoys me as f0k. But in terms of overdrive, im clearly sure its better, since ufo test is almost perfect, and you can use it at max overdrive without problems.

Notty_PT
Posts: 482
Joined: 09 Aug 2017, 02:50

Re: Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Post by Notty_PT » 28 Jun 2019, 12:34

You have a lot of complains about AlienWare overdrive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFRDQ8oZ0pE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnaK71wvLv0&t=5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykQDrq4o8iM

I can be here all day linking videos and threads about it.

You also have a lot of gamers complaining about 240hz bad overdrive, even on this forum someone created a thread called "240hz monitors are blurry" I just can´t find it now but will try again later. There are no perfect 240hz models right now, the Asus XG258Q isn´t perfect, so isn´t the Alienware so isn´t the Benq or LG. Is a matter of trade offs.

As for input lag measures, I´m sensitive to input lag and just by moving the cursor around on desktop I immediatly notice how XG25 is way more responsive and you have more people on the forum saying this. Also I do reaction time tests (wich aren´t a totally right measurement but better than nothing) and all of them show less ms on the XG25. I would say is a bit coincidence right? That´s it, all opinions are based on personal feel and experiences. If you say that I have no scientiphic approach, no I have not, but I know I perfom better on Xg25, that´s a fact because I can use numbers with that. Highest LG accuracy on Quake, highest personal record on reaction time, highest personal record on Aim Hero training situations, Kovaak etc. That´s science there.

Plus I remember you on the forum asking for the lowest possible input lag monitor (I found it viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5294&p=40644#p40644 ) so I guess you really care about that, so I have no idea how suddenly you dismiss that as being a good avantage on a monitor, considering that´s the main reason why I kept and I´m using the XG25 as daily driver. Suddenly you say my opinion is "non sense". Ok, what can I do? Keep using what works for you and I will keep using what works for me. i never said everyone "go get a xg25, it is perfect, don´t get anything else". I only write my opinions and personal experience. You can accept it or refuse it, just don´t say is "non sense".

Post Reply