VG278HE or XL2720Z, advantages & differences

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
EPSFBPMOSF

VG278HE or XL2720Z, advantages & differences

Post by EPSFBPMOSF » 07 Apr 2014, 09:24

hi everyone ...

I've been wondering about the gaming monitor, because I know that final decision in purchasing is very wide decision and send your mind to many possibilities and options :mrgreen:

so .. first monitors I learned about are the ASUS VG278HE and BenQ XL2720T

Then .. I learned about the XL2720Z which is more developed than the T series.

For a while I was attracted to 1440p OC monitors; like Qnix for 120Hz, ASUS PB278Q and Dell U2713HM for fixed 60Hz.

For the Dell and ASUS, there are absolutely lags in very fast FPS games like COD and battlefield. So they are out of my gaming monitor's standards range.

The Korean monitors which have the feature to OC may have issues; like, dead pixels, BLB & are not fast responsive as the ASUS and BenQ 1080p monitors.

That leave me in face with two monitors, so I have to choose one of them :?:

The XL2720Z is more expensive the VG278HE, faster & have the blur reduction feature.

The XL2720Z is pretty expensive to me, and I want to know if it has big advantages to the VG278HE.

Also, I'm out of USA, so I understood that getting the XL2720Z with firmware V2 pre-installed is not easy.

I want to know what is so special about XL2720Z ?

Thanks,

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: VG278HE or XL2720Z, advantages & differences

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Apr 2014, 09:37

EPSFBPMOSF wrote:I want to know what is so special about XL2720Z ?
It's got BENQ Blur Reduction which is a LightBoost equivalent.
Version 2 (when combined with Strobe Utility) of this allows:
-- Strobe rates of 60Hz through 144Hz. Eliminate motion blur at any refresh rate. (LightBoost can only work at 100Hz and 120Hz)
-- Full contrast and color quality. (LightBoost degrades color quality)
-- No color tinting. (LightBoost has a crimson tint on certain monitors like the VG248QE)
-- More brightness range. (LightBoost is not bright enough for some people)

So it's a more special, better kind of LightBoost equivalent.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

EPSFBPMOSF

Post by EPSFBPMOSF » 07 Apr 2014, 12:39

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
EPSFBPMOSF wrote:I want to know what is so special about XL2720Z ?
It's got BENQ Blur Reduction which is a LightBoost equivalent.
Version 2 (when combined with Strobe Utility) of this allows:
-- Strobe rates of 60Hz through 144Hz. Eliminate motion blur at any refresh rate. (LightBoost can only work at 100Hz and 120Hz)
-- Full contrast and color quality. (LightBoost degrades color quality)
-- No color tinting. (LightBoost has a crimson tint on certain monitors like the VG248QE)
-- More brightness range. (LightBoost is not bright enough for some people)

So it's a more special, better kind of LightBoost equivalent.

1. what's the difference between strobe rates and frame rates?
2. Do you mean it's more image quality to run it at 60Hz of strobe rates than 100a and 120Hz?

Even so, it's not easy to buy XL2720Z with V2 installed, because I'm from outside USA.

Though, is the VG278HE not very bad in comparison with the XL2720Z ?

EPSFBPMOSF

Post by EPSFBPMOSF » 07 Apr 2014, 13:34

Does not the VG278HE has a blur reduction feature?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Apr 2014, 14:06

EPSFBPMOSF wrote:Does not the VG278HE has a blur reduction feature?
Yup, it does. It uses LightBoost.

Keep in mind LightBoost is limited to working at 120Hz or 100Hz, and not at any other refresh rates. (unlike BENQ Blur Reduction which is far more flexible). LightBoost also generally has worse color quality, and often becomes much dimmer. However, the VG278HE's LightBoost is fairly good compared to others, such as VG248QE's where you have to often live with an unavoidable crimson color tinting during blur reduction (lightboost) mode.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Apr 2014, 14:13

EPSFBPMOSF wrote:1. what's the difference between strobe rates and frame rates?
All of the good motion blur reduction methods (e.g. LightBoost, Turbo240, ULMB, BENQ Blur Reduction) use a strobe backlight as the method of eliminating motion blur. They typically flash at one strobe per refresh. However, framerates of your games will often run independently of the refresh rate.

For good motion clarity with strobe backlights, you want framerate matching stroberate. So you need enough GPU horsepower to run games at frame rates that are able to match the refresh rate (also equals strobe rate) for the most effective motion blur elimination.
EPSFBPMOSF wrote:2. Do you mean it's more image quality to run it at 60Hz of strobe rates than 100a and 120Hz?
No. 120Hz BENQ Blur Reduction has better colors than 120Hz LightBoost.
However, the VG278HE has better colors during LightBoost than VG248QE does, so you may be very happy with it, especially if it saves you a lot of money.
EPSFBPMOSF wrote:Though, is the VG278HE not very bad in comparison with the XL2720Z ?
Correct. VG278HE is actually one of the better LightBoost monitors. Just make sure you have enough GPU to run at 100fps @ 100Hz or 120fps @ 120Hz, for the best motion clarity.

EPSFBPMOSF

Post by EPSFBPMOSF » 07 Apr 2014, 15:22

wow .. thanks a lot :geek:

SS4

Post by SS4 » 07 Apr 2014, 18:17

The problem with both though is that unless you have a very large desk the pixel might look too big on a 27 screen using only 1080p resolution.
You need to make sure you can sit far enough or you might be disappointed by the image quality which is why i opted for a 24 instead with the same resolution. Like motion blur, PWM and colors, its always a matter of personal preferences but since this aspect wasnt mentioned i figured it might be worth pointing out :P