Viewsonic xg240r white washed

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
isotopez

Viewsonic xg240r white washed

Post by isotopez » 10 Jun 2019, 14:55

Greetings all

First post here but last week I picked up a new xg240r.

I tested it for dead pixels and all that and it looks to have zero which is great. I have an Asus VG248QE at work and wanted to try the newer panel from viewsonic at home.

I have a gtx 1070 card that I enable g-sync with and used the calibration settings found here ( https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/viewsonic-xg2402) on the monitor:

Gaming Settings= CUSTOM 1
Rampage Response= Fast
Black Stabilization= 11 (higher reduces contrast, too much lower noticeably eats away at dark detail)
Brightness= 38 (according to preferences and lighting)
Contrast= 70
Color Saturation= 50
Gamma= 2.6
AMD FreeSync= On
Color Temperature= Full Color Control
R= 100
G= 90
B= 92

The only game I am really playing is Apex and the colors look very flat. It also seems like the areas that are brighter in the game almost make me squint they are hurting my eyes.

I read about using digital vibrance and haven't played around with it yet. Anybody have the same deal out of the box and have made it look nice and rich?

I also had a lot of tearing issues with the 144hz it appeared, so I did turn on vsync in the NVCP, made sure it was disable in game. The issue was still present. I read about limiting the fps in game to -3 fps below, but Apex origin setting seems to also not work when I set the +fps_max 141

So I then downloaded RTSS to set the fps on there to 141 and got that to work in Apex. It seems like setting it to 141 fps made a big difference in the tearing I was getting.

So... now the colors. Any ideas or settings people have experimented with to get better colors. When I get home tonight I am thinking about just taking the monitor setting I have and messing around the the Nvidia Digital Vibrance.

Any thoughts welcome!

thanks all

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Viewsonic xg240r white washed

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Jun 2019, 19:16

Occasionally, online monitor calibration doesn't work in all firmwares, and what looks vibrant at a tester may look like crap on your desktop. And you cannot mix settings between monitors (e.g. XG240R vs XG2402) -- that will usually almost always look like crap. Settings are monitor-model-specific.

Keep in mind that Digital Vibrance can sometimes blow out highlights of fully saturated colors. The best move is to try to compensate things on the monitor side, but sometimes what looks good in a dark room can look quite awful in a brightly lit room. You can have bright colors that are eye-searingly bright yet still being unable to see the shadows.

Then to compensate, sometimes one often needs to use a brighter gamma (lower gamma number) under brighter lighting to see the shadows better. Then it kills color saturation, which you then have to compensate using a saturation setting, which then ruins certain things like blowing out color highlights. So it's a cascade of compromises.

Use NVIDIA Control Panel to test things around, but once saving settings and writing them down on paper or document -- once done, reset NVIDIA Control Panel to default and then try to do the similiar thing via monitor adjustments, since that can operate better. If that fails, go back to to the NVIDIA Control Panel desktop adjustment settings and use those.

A colorimeter can help, if you prefer something more automated (e.g. a Spyder unit).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ogchampion

Re: Viewsonic xg240r white washed

Post by ogchampion » 12 Jun 2019, 04:26

I think some of this 'washed out' effect you describe may come from the surprisingly huge amount of panel variation of this old 24" AUO unit from 2011.

I've had two XG2402s and now a XG240R and I can tell you all three of them exhibit big differences comparing side by side. One of the XG2402's had poor overdrive and inferior gamma compared to my other XG2402. Same model! Behaved like a different monitor entirely.

My XG240R has these weird faintly visible horizontal 'scan lines' which can only be seen when moving your head around, or squinting slightly. This was not present on either of my XG2402s and yet they all use the same panel.

The panel lottery is unfortunately a real thing, at least in my experience.

Here's some settings specific to the XG240R from pc monitors you may want to try. Black stabilisation has a big impact on contrast/colours so maybe play around with that value.

Gaming Settings= CUSTOM 2

Response Time OD= Fast
Black Stabilization= 10
Brightness= 40 (according to preferences and lighting)
Contrast= 70
Color Saturation= 50
Gamma= 2.6
AMD FreeSync= On
Color Temperature= Full Color Control
R= 100
G= 94
B= 90
Sharpness= 50
Refresh rate (Windows setting)= 144Hz