Pixel inversion artifacts, something normal in Zowie XL2546?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
franmarquez95

Re: Pixel inversion artifacts, something normal in Zowie XL2

Post by franmarquez95 » 16 Jun 2019, 22:56

oof_oof wrote:I get the impression that whatever i am seeing is either FRC ( only sometimes ) or .. maybe the ufo tests are fucking with my screens and making them seem worse. I do notice that I get insane weird flicker after using the inverse pixel walk tests. I should just stop even checking the tests instead of obsessing over them.

I really have no idea though. I am just really frustrated at this point and want to know what on earth the real problem is.

like could it be my asus motherboard being stupid? like what is it?!!
Last edited by franmarquez95 on 16 Jun 2019, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.

franmarquez95

Post by franmarquez95 » 16 Jun 2019, 22:57

oof_oof wrote:I get the impression that whatever i am seeing is either FRC ( only sometimes ) or .. maybe the ufo tests are fucking with my screens and making them seem worse. I do notice that I get insane weird flicker after using the inverse pixel walk tests. I should just stop even checking the tests instead of obsessing over them.

I really have no idea though. I am just really frustrated at this point and want to know what on earth the real problem is.

like could it be my asus motherboard being stupid? like what is it?!!
I do not think the problem is the test or your pc. Otherwise the community would not report it so much. This happens to many more users

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jun 2019, 23:25

The inversion artifact visibility varies a lot from monitor to monitor, but different models have less intense-looking inversion than others.
The ViewSonic XG2530, for example, does not have a visible chessboard-patterned inversion pattern, while is more visible in other models.

Voltage swapping algorithms (inversion) are supposed to be as invisible as possible but sometimes inversion artifacts appear.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

oof_oof

Post by oof_oof » 16 Jun 2019, 23:45

can watching that UFO test for like a min make it so my desktop background looks like it's flickering for the next little while?

franmarquez95

Post by franmarquez95 » 17 Jun 2019, 00:00

Chief Blur Buster wrote:The inversion artifact visibility varies a lot from monitor to monitor, but different models have less intense-looking inversion than others.
The ViewSonic XG2530, for example, does not have a visible chessboard-patterned inversion pattern, while is more visible in other models.

Voltage swapping algorithms (inversion) are supposed to be as invisible as possible but sometimes inversion artifacts appear.
then on your monitor there is no inversion of pixels or is it only little visible? interestingly, your monitor is the cheapest of all the 240hz monitors (at least in my country, Spain). Then should I request another unit or not? After 5 I do not have much hope

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 17 Jun 2019, 05:57

This is something I mentioned a lot on the forum. Most 240hz monitors have bad inversion artifacts, but there are exceptions from the ones I tried.

Asus XG248Q, wich uses a different panel from all other 24,5 240hz models, doesn´t suffer from any artifacts. Asus PG258Q with Gsync enabled also doesn´t suffer from any, but this monitor has higher input lag and can show other kind of image problems:

My Asus XG258Q 240hz also has OD artifacts, altho I could reduce their effect a lot with custom settings, but you can still notice them. I only kept this monitor because it is too fast input lag wise, crushing the competition.

If you want a safe buy, Asus XG248Q is your choice. This monitor has no overdrive artifacts. It has a very aggressive coating tho, wich may cause smearing/grainy effect.

theangryregulator

Post by theangryregulator » 17 Jun 2019, 06:11

RE: Asus PG258Q - That looks like a screenshot to me. How would that be able to show monitor artifacts?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 17 Jun 2019, 06:12

Is that a screenshot? Looks like a screenshot... Those aren't "display artifacts". That's how the game looks.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

open

Post by open » 17 Jun 2019, 06:15

franmarquez95 wrote:https://www.testufo.com/inversion#patte ... bars&ppf=1

My investment appears in that pattern of this test. Only in the gray color, in the other colors of the test does not happen. Basically the pixels look fatter, like a chessboard. It shows if you get closer to the screen. Zowie tells me that it is normal in all 240hz monitors, they even told me that they compared my model with the Asus PG258Q. They told me I was more remarkable in the asus than in mine. I just want to know if the chessboard, whether in less or greater visibility, appears on all 240hz monitors with a tn panel.
I can say that the intensity in my current monitor is less than in the first Alienware AW2518HF. It was horrible ... But after 5 monitors like that ... it's probably a standard. Do not you think?
I have the PG258Q and on the grey section only I can see a horizontal pixel inversion pattern of vertical lines.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 17 Jun 2019, 06:31

theangryregulator wrote:RE: Asus PG258Q - That looks like a screenshot to me. How would that be able to show monitor artifacts?
RealNC wrote:Is that a screenshot? Looks like a screenshot... Those aren't "display artifacts". That's how the game looks.
I have no idea, it wasn´t made by me, took it from reddit. I faced the exact same problem on my PG258Q but I don´t know the name of those artifacts/problems. I noticed them on Quake Champions and other dark games, is like you can see "pixels" on some colour gradients. Like I said I have no idea what the correct technical term is.

This PG258Q image problem made me want to sell it quick. Also PG258Q input lag was unaceptable for my standards. Apart from those artifacts, it has nice overdrive with Gsync enabled.

240hz monitors are basically made for competitive gamers that want their max potential. They are not good all around monitors, maybe except for the Asus XG248Q.