Pixel inversion artifacts, something normal in Zowie XL2546?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Pixel inversion artifacts, something normal in Zowie XL2

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jun 2019, 11:22

Correct & confirmed: That screenshot are NOT inversion artifacts.

Inversion artifacts are impossible to screenshot; they must be photographed.

It might be the temporal dithering behaviour (the GPU version) or some other behaviour that was made visible to the screenshot process.

Things that make colors "noisy" includes things like:
- Lack of bit depth; and/or
- Inversion artifacts; and/or
- Banding artifacts; and/or
- Dither artifacts (by GPU, or by monitor FRC); and/or
- Software GPU shaders (intentional or unintentional); and/or
- Etc.

Some of these are screenshottable and some are definitely not.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 17 Jun 2019, 12:03

It's just the optimization of the game. They have to dial down the accuracy of the shaders. How else are you going to get these high-FPS competitive games running at 200FPS or more while having them not look like a PS2 game from 2001.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

franmarquez95

Post by franmarquez95 » 17 Jun 2019, 15:00

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Correct & confirmed: That screenshot are NOT inversion artifacts.

Inversion artifacts are impossible to screenshot; they must be photographed.

It might be the temporal dithering behaviour (the GPU version) or some other behaviour that was made visible to the screenshot process.

Things that make colors "noisy" includes things like:
- Lack of bit depth; and/or
- Inversion artifacts; and/or
- Banding artifacts; and/or
- Dither artifacts (by GPU, or by monitor FRC); and/or
- Software GPU shaders (intentional or unintentional); and/or
- Etc.

Some of these are screenshottable and some are definitely not.
Chief, do you recommend me to return the monitor? or maybe the xl zowies tend to have pixel inversion? The truth is that it is not a very exaggerated pixel inversion

franmarquez95

Post by franmarquez95 » 17 Jun 2019, 15:46

someone has a zowie xl 2546? and if so ... do you have some pixel inversion artifact?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 17 Jun 2019, 16:13

open wrote:There are multiple kinds of inversion patterns that can happen on a monitor. The first is voltage inversion done to protect the monitor from damage that may occur if a steady voltage is supplied. Instead positive voltage is used then negative in a cycle. The cycle uses an inversion pattern so that any visible effects are ditthered. This kind of inversion is most common and ideally will not be noticeable in daily use.

The second kind is typically more noticeable and more associated with modern 240hz monitors. It is the inversion pattern used for FRC. The monitor accpets an 8-bit signal but uses a 6-bit panel. To produce the last 2 bits of contrast the panel is alternated between ligher and darker shades over time. This alternation uses an inversion pattern to mask the puslsing. Fast eyes can catch it but more importantly it can be linked to refresh rate. So some situations particularly with gsync dropping to very low refreshes can make the inversion pattern very visible. Also the right kind of animations can show it. If something is already pulsing every other frame on part of the screen then it will catch half of the inversion pattern. There were some issues with earlier versions of windows 10 and earlier nvidia drivers that resulted in pulsing screens with inversion patterns in many games when the framerate dropped.

Im not sure if there are 8-bit 240hz panels in monitors yet. If there are maybe someone can chime in and that may be a good monitor for you to try.
"Apparently" the XL2740 is a true 8 bit panel.
But I can find no other source other than this
https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/aeb21048

They can't be just blatantly wrong because they label the XL2540 and XL2546 as both 6 bits+FRC.

franmarquez95

Post by franmarquez95 » 17 Jun 2019, 16:22

Falkentyne wrote:
open wrote:There are multiple kinds of inversion patterns that can happen on a monitor. The first is voltage inversion done to protect the monitor from damage that may occur if a steady voltage is supplied. Instead positive voltage is used then negative in a cycle. The cycle uses an inversion pattern so that any visible effects are ditthered. This kind of inversion is most common and ideally will not be noticeable in daily use.

The second kind is typically more noticeable and more associated with modern 240hz monitors. It is the inversion pattern used for FRC. The monitor accpets an 8-bit signal but uses a 6-bit panel. To produce the last 2 bits of contrast the panel is alternated between ligher and darker shades over time. This alternation uses an inversion pattern to mask the puslsing. Fast eyes can catch it but more importantly it can be linked to refresh rate. So some situations particularly with gsync dropping to very low refreshes can make the inversion pattern very visible. Also the right kind of animations can show it. If something is already pulsing every other frame on part of the screen then it will catch half of the inversion pattern. There were some issues with earlier versions of windows 10 and earlier nvidia drivers that resulted in pulsing screens with inversion patterns in many games when the framerate dropped.

Im not sure if there are 8-bit 240hz panels in monitors yet. If there are maybe someone can chime in and that may be a good monitor for you to try.
"Apparently" the XL2740 is a true 8 bit panel.
But I can find no other source other than this
https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/aeb21048

They can't be just blatantly wrong because they label the XL2540 and XL2546 as both 6 bits+FRC.
because to be true of 8bits should not present inversion of pixels or that has nothing to do?

open

Post by open » 17 Jun 2019, 19:41

Even if it is 8bit there can still be inversion patterns. However I tend to think that the issue is related to FRC given that some situations can exacerbate the FRC issue. And also the the mention that windowed mode and linux do not present as many problems.

That said it doesn't have to be FRC related.

I would try to get more than one website confirming the true 8-bit status. Sometimes you can look up the panel and see if it is 8-bit.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 17 Jun 2019, 20:16

open wrote:Even if it is 8bit there can still be inversion patterns. However I tend to think that the issue is related to FRC given that some situations can exacerbate the FRC issue. And also the the mention that windowed mode and linux do not present as many problems.

I would try to get more than one website confirming the true 8-bit status. Sometimes you can look up the panel and see if it is 8-bit.
I can't find the panel name anywhere. I'm still stuck on a XL2720Z.

Someone would have to take an XL2740 and go into the service menu and the factory menu (try both) and write down the AUO part number shown at the top.

franmarquez95

Post by franmarquez95 » 17 Jun 2019, 20:34

open wrote:Even if it is 8bit there can still be inversion patterns. However I tend to think that the issue is related to FRC given that some situations can exacerbate the FRC issue. And also the the mention that windowed mode and linux do not present as many problems.

mine (xl 2546) is 6 + FRC. My only doubt is if this model is normal, since of 3 equal monitors, all 3 have the same problem. I do not understand how they do not fix this anomaly, it is assumed that there are already advances in technology so as not to solve this in a more effective way

franmarquez95

Post by franmarquez95 » 17 Jun 2019, 20:38

Falkentyne wrote:

I can't find the panel name anywhere. I'm still stuck on a XL2720Z.

Someone would have to take an XL2740 and go into the service menu and the factory menu (try both) and write down the AUO part number shown at the top.
but if I'm not wrong, the matrix of xl2546 and that of the Dell alienware aw2518f are different, and in both for example there is pixel inversion. Even under my perception the pixel inversion of the Dell monitor is more accentuated than in the zowie