Pixel inversion artifacts, something normal in Zowie XL2546?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
franmarquez95

Pixel inversion artifacts, something normal in Zowie XL2546?

Post by franmarquez95 » 16 Jun 2019, 14:54

Hi all! I'm new to the forum, and I've registered since I've been going crazy for 2 months with pixel inversion artifacts.
My story is this: I had an XL2540 and it broke down (I did not turn on the screen). From this breakdown all were problems ... Buy an Alienware AW2518HF and ... had an exaggerated pixel inversion. Dell I change it for another screen that although it was less exaggerated, I still had pixel inversion. Finally I returned it and I bought the XL2546 but it came with inversion of pixels too and with a flaw inside the screen. I changed it to another one and I still had pixel inversion, so I decided to change the screen one time (the current one I have) and it still has pixel inversion.
After this I want to know if: are the pixel inversion artifacts is something normal in 240hz monitors with 1ms TN panel response? I never notice this on the XL2540, but it's just that I do not notice either. Can someone help me to know the truth of all this? Thank you :)

oof_oof

Re: Pixel inversion artifacts, something normal in Zowie XL2

Post by oof_oof » 16 Jun 2019, 15:43

i'd like some expert responces on all reasons that cause PIXEL inversion that are NOT related to a monitor.

this test: https://www.testufo.com/inversion#patte ... ity2&ppf=5
Inversion Full screen version is doing this for me: https://streamable.com/fiz0n

-is it possible to get this with perfectly fine working monitor and good GPU but driver settings / or driver issues?
-is it possible that this is a GPU issue and not a monitor issue?
-is it possible for this to be a windows problem?
-a motherboard setting issue?
-or is it 100% monitor related?

franmarquez95

Post by franmarquez95 » 16 Jun 2019, 15:54

oof_oof wrote:i'd like some expert responces on all reasons that cause PIXEL inversion that are NOT related to a monitor.

this test: https://www.testufo.com/inversion#patte ... ity2&ppf=5
Inversion Full screen version is doing this for me: https://streamable.com/fiz0n

-is it possible to get this with perfectly fine working monitor and good GPU but driver settings / or driver issues?
-is it possible that this is a GPU issue and not a monitor issue?
-is it possible for this to be a windows problem?
-a motherboard setting issue?
-or is it 100% monitor related?
Does the same thing happen to you on your monitor?

oof_oof

Post by oof_oof » 16 Jun 2019, 16:46

i have been dealing with these issues yes. multiple different monitors (different panels) 3 different gpus. seems to be intermittent.

franmarquez95

Post by franmarquez95 » 16 Jun 2019, 18:28

oof_oof wrote:i have been dealing with these issues yes. multiple different monitors (different panels) 3 different gpus. seems to be intermittent.
but in all there were pixel inversion artifacts? I think that after 5 monitors I think it's normal for these monitors

oof_oof

Post by oof_oof » 16 Jun 2019, 18:38

I really have no idea what the problem is still that's why i am asking questions. but it almost seems like the problem is worse on certain gpu driver settings.. / or if I have been messing with the brightness setting on the monitor.. which i seem to do a lot on all of them.

it could also be partly windows 10. I did not notice problems being as bad in linux but the ufo tests dont work corretly in linux for me.

franmarquez95

Post by franmarquez95 » 16 Jun 2019, 19:17

oof_oof wrote:I really have no idea what the problem is still that's why i am asking questions. but it almost seems like the problem is worse on certain gpu driver settings.. / or if I have been messing with the brightness setting on the monitor.. which i seem to do a lot on all of them.

it could also be partly windows 10. I did not notice problems being as bad in linux but the ufo tests dont work corretly in linux for me.
I have windows 7 and windows 10. In both is the same, it is not the graphic either, because I tried the hdmi of the board and it happened even more. I think it's something that only happens on the monitor. But I would like someone from the forum with knowledge in this to respond about this issue, since I do not know if I really have a defective monitor. While it's true that I talked to Zowie from his Facebook page and a very nice guy told me yes, that this is the case on all TN monitors with a more response, but I prefer to have more opinions

open

Post by open » 16 Jun 2019, 20:14

There are multiple kinds of inversion patterns that can happen on a monitor. The first is voltage inversion done to protect the monitor from damage that may occur if a steady voltage is supplied. Instead positive voltage is used then negative in a cycle. The cycle uses an inversion pattern so that any visible effects are ditthered. This kind of inversion is most common and ideally will not be noticeable in daily use.

The second kind is typically more noticeable and more associated with modern 240hz monitors. It is the inversion pattern used for FRC. The monitor accpets an 8-bit signal but uses a 6-bit panel. To produce the last 2 bits of contrast the panel is alternated between ligher and darker shades over time. This alternation uses an inversion pattern to mask the puslsing. Fast eyes can catch it but more importantly it can be linked to refresh rate. So some situations particularly with gsync dropping to very low refreshes can make the inversion pattern very visible. Also the right kind of animations can show it. If something is already pulsing every other frame on part of the screen then it will catch half of the inversion pattern. There were some issues with earlier versions of windows 10 and earlier nvidia drivers that resulted in pulsing screens with inversion patterns in many games when the framerate dropped.

Im not sure if there are 8-bit 240hz panels in monitors yet. If there are maybe someone can chime in and that may be a good monitor for you to try.

oof_oof

Post by oof_oof » 16 Jun 2019, 22:52

I get the impression that whatever i am seeing is either FRC ( only sometimes ) or .. maybe the ufo tests are fucking with my screens and making them seem worse. I do notice that I get insane weird flicker after using the inverse pixel walk tests. I should just stop even checking the tests instead of obsessing over them.

I really have no idea though. I am just really frustrated at this point and want to know what on earth the real problem is.

like could it be my asus motherboard being stupid? like what is it?!!

franmarquez95

Post by franmarquez95 » 16 Jun 2019, 22:54

open wrote:There are multiple kinds of inversion patterns that can happen on a monitor. The first is voltage inversion done to protect the monitor from damage that may occur if a steady voltage is supplied. Instead positive voltage is used then negative in a cycle. The cycle uses an inversion pattern so that any visible effects are ditthered. This kind of inversion is most common and ideally will not be noticeable in daily use.

The second kind is typically more noticeable and more associated with modern 240hz monitors. It is the inversion pattern used for FRC. The monitor accpets an 8-bit signal but uses a 6-bit panel. To produce the last 2 bits of contrast the panel is alternated between ligher and darker shades over time. This alternation uses an inversion pattern to mask the puslsing. Fast eyes can catch it but more importantly it can be linked to refresh rate. So some situations particularly with gsync dropping to very low refreshes can make the inversion pattern very visible. Also the right kind of animations can show it. If something is already pulsing every other frame on part of the screen then it will catch half of the inversion pattern. There were some issues with earlier versions of windows 10 and earlier nvidia drivers that resulted in pulsing screens with inversion patterns in many games when the framerate dropped.

Im not sure if there are 8-bit 240hz panels in monitors yet. If there are maybe someone can chime in and that may be a good monitor for you to try.
https://www.testufo.com/inversion#patte ... bars&ppf=1

My investment appears in that pattern of this test. Only in the gray color, in the other colors of the test does not happen. Basically the pixels look fatter, like a chessboard. It shows if you get closer to the screen. Zowie tells me that it is normal in all 240hz monitors, they even told me that they compared my model with the Asus PG258Q. They told me I was more remarkable in the asus than in mine. I just want to know if the chessboard, whether in less or greater visibility, appears on all 240hz monitors with a tn panel.
I can say that the intensity in my current monitor is less than in the first Alienware AW2518HF. It was horrible ... But after 5 monitors like that ... it's probably a standard. Do not you think?