help me decide which xg248q to keep

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
oof_oof

help me decide which xg248q to keep

Post by oof_oof » 23 Jun 2019, 07:01

hey. see photo:

https://i.imgur.com/EpSRQO7.jpg

completely blows my mind how different these look. dont even look like they are made in the same factory. left is more bluish and red and right has a more green color. left is also brighter in general. both monitors set to factory default settings and same settings in windows.

both are identical for responciveness. big differences are color and clouding.

vote: left or right

Notty_PT

Re: help me decide which xg248q to keep

Post by Notty_PT » 23 Jun 2019, 07:45

Asus models vary a lot because the quality control is almost non existant.

Between those 2 samples it´s hard to decide. Altho it seems the left one has less obvious BL, it has a stripe at the top, wich annoys me more than anything. THe right one doesn´t, but the BL is noticeable higher. Now I know on photos it seems worse than what it really is, so your best bet is playing the same games on both and see if you can notice anything.

Btw how you liking the monitor? It´s a very solid 240hz monitor, I just don´t like the coating, so aggressive, wich ruins the motion clarity a lot imo.

But having good PPI (that monitor is 23,8 inches) with 240hz is an amazing experience.

oof_oof

Post by oof_oof » 23 Jun 2019, 10:25

i love the monitor, my only issue with it is the clouding / uniformity.

i only see it on dark grey, dark blue and dark green. otherwise i never see it,

what blows my mind the most is.. the left one seems like a completely different panel. maybe even the coating sucks on that one only? i am not sure.

someone on discord said calibrating it.. can that reduce clouding? i really dont want to buy one of those calibrators...

leaning towards keeping one of them. just super annoyed by how i always notice things in the screen that i dont like.

Retrospective

Post by Retrospective » 24 Jun 2019, 03:50

oof_oof wrote:i love the monitor, my only issue with it is the clouding / uniformity.

what blows my mind the most is.. the left one seems like a completely different panel. maybe even the coating sucks on that one only? i am not sure.

someone on discord said calibrating it.. can that reduce clouding? i really dont want to buy one of those calibrators...

leaning towards keeping one of them. just super annoyed by how i always notice things in the screen that i dont like.
Do you notice it even in a light room? Does it really bother you in games? I wanted to buy one, but I'm really afraid of this issue; there are many posts and reviews of this monitor and every single person talk about the clouding issue. I'd try to return both displays and then try again to get a quality one :?

I hope rtings.com will finally make a review of this monitor, so we will get a decent calibration profile instead of doing it personally.

oof_oof

Post by oof_oof » 24 Jun 2019, 20:52

I only ever notice it on discord / youtube dark theme, dark green, dark blue, dark grey. at this point I think every single xg248q has clouding issues on the screen.

there is a large white vertical cloudy band that is slightly to the right center. it's impossible to see if you are looking at anything that is not 1 uniform color. it does not show up on brigher colors. only dark ones or close to black.

whitepuzzle

Post by whitepuzzle » 24 Jun 2019, 21:57

Retrospective wrote:
oof_oof wrote:i love the monitor, my only issue with it is the clouding / uniformity.

Do you notice it even in a light room? Does it really bother you in games? I wanted to buy one, but I'm really afraid of this issue; there are many posts and reviews of this monitor and every single person talk about the clouding issue. I'd try to return both displays and then try again to get a quality one :?

I hope rtings.com will finally make a review of this monitor, so we will get a decent calibration profile instead of doing it personally.
What's the point of using a profile generated from another unit?