Upgrading from MSI MAG241C to 240hz [For Apex Legends]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Tomhet

Upgrading from MSI MAG241C to 240hz [For Apex Legends]

Post by Tomhet » 25 Jun 2019, 09:04

Hi Blur Busters,

Been lurking this forum for a couple of days because I want to get myself a new monitor. Currently I'm using the MSI MAG241C as stated in the title, this is a 144hz VA panel. I initially bought this because I couldn't afford a monitor over €200 and wanted something with high refresh rate and decent colors. When I play Apex Legends I always turn on the Anti-Motion blur mode on the monitor because this is the only way to get the fastest response time and I feel like I play better when I have it turned on. The downside of this being of course darkening the screen.

My PC specs are i7 9700k + RTX 2080 so 144 FPS is rather easy to maintain. Another quest is to maintain 235+ on Apex Legends. Even with everything low I still see dips to 180/190 FPS. Would it be even worth it to get a 240hz screen if i'd have to lock my FPS to 190 for example?

The screens I'm thinking about getting are the following: XG248Q, XG258Q or BenQ Zowie XL2546 (I'm open for other suggestions though).
I'm not sure if I really do need g-sync because I already have freesync on my VA monitor, which I will use as secondary monitor. Ideally the new 240hz monitor would also be with thin bezels because of uniformity.

What I mainly would like to have is the fastest panel possible, color accuracy/quality is an extra but of course also welcomed if possible.

I'm also wondering if TN would be a noticable difference over my current VA panel as well when speaking about speed, because this VA panel is also advertised as 1ms response time.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading from MSI MAG241C to 240hz [For Apex Legends]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Jun 2019, 15:28

The good news is that good hertzroom makes blur reduction better. 144Hz strobing looks much better on 240Hz panels than 144Hz strobing on 144Hz panels.

Especially if the panel automatically already scanconverts to large VBIs (like NVIDIA ULMB) or can support custom resolutions with large vertical totals (like BenQ models) -- the extra hertzroom allows the panel to scan faster with longer pauses between refresh cycles to hide GtG pixel transitions in the black periods between strobe flashes. This can reduce strobe-crosstalk double-images.

The 25 inch size versions of GSYNC 240Hz monitors all have voltage-boosted 144Hz strobing, and are all typically 300 nits (or almost) strobed each, which is brighter than the average strobed monitor. So even if you don't use G-SYNC, it has the attributes (reduced double images + brighter), so they should not be eliminated as contenders.

So, if you're a big fan of brighter crosstalk-free strobing, I do recommend
(1) NVIDIA native G-SYNC 240Hz with 144Hz ULMB (it has fairly low crosstalk)
(2) Zowie XL2546 with 144 to 182Hz custom Large Vertical Total (less crosstalk than 240Hz strobe)
(3) Variable strobing such as new ASUS TUF series with ELMB-Sync (combined VRR + strobing simultaneously)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!