Comprehensive, Scientific 240hz Accuracy Analysis

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
saw141

Comprehensive, Scientific 240hz Accuracy Analysis

Post by saw141 » 28 Jun 2019, 00:13

Linus Tech Tips got with The Slo Mo Guys on YouTube and tried to do a fairly comprehensive analysis of reaction times and accuracy/precision. It’s a comparison of 60/240hz and their tests do show what we all know, higher refresh rates = faster reaction times, and more precise movements. They recorded their test videos at 4K/1000fps so that’s also interesting. The video is quite interesting and I have no affiliation with either group, just a fan and glad to see such tools being put to researching this. A lot of us here have felt and known this for a long time; research is still very welcome and interesting, though. Here’s the video for anyone who wants to watch. https://youtu.be/tV8P6T5tTYs

Malinkadink

Re: Comprehensive, Scientific 240hz Accuracy Analysis

Post by Malinkadink » 28 Jun 2019, 01:22

I wonder if Linus is still stumped about the results cause he kept bringing up the 12ms difference not once thinking about the input lag difference from running the game at 240hz vs 60hz. This test is unfortunately not great either, they used 3 people with different reaction times and skill levels and swapping between 240hz and 60hz won't get you valuable data as to what kind of improvement you'd actually see in your gameplay. The best way to test this would be to use 2 people of relatively equal skill, have one play at 60hz for a few hours and the other at 240hz so they can get used to each setting and how to compensate for the lag or lack thereof at 240hz. Then redo these tests and see how much more accurate the 240hz user is by comparison.

There honestly doesn't even need to be this kind of comparison, it's so blatantly obvious your accuracy will be better at 240hz, you're getting way more visual data, and can respond quicker to it with less delay. A more interesting comparison would be 144hz vs 240hz. The difference there is much smaller, 2.8ms frame difference. The bottleneck at 144hz becomes less the monitor and more the player imo.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 28 Jun 2019, 06:30

I guess for many of us here it's obvious that's an amateur work not comprehensive and scientific at all. An example of more comprehensive and scientific work: https://www.blurbusters.com/human-refle ... on-time/3/

saw141

Post by saw141 » 28 Jun 2019, 10:37

Yeah it’s not perfect but it is data driven with different subjects, it’s better than some others I’ve seen. When trying to research whether or not to get my 240hz, I knew it would be better regardless; finding abundant, convincing data about it is pretty difficult, atleast in video form. It’s nice to see people with this budget and production level doing any research at all, though, it is welcome.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 Jun 2019, 12:05

This has been posted a bunch of times already. Original thread is here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5488

Closing this one.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.