Finally a .3ms G2G panel review coming - Acer XF252QX

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
garetjax

Finally a .3ms G2G panel review coming - Acer XF252QX

Post by garetjax » 04 Jul 2019, 12:57

TFTCentral posted this today:

"Should be receiving the Acer XF252QX today for a review soon. with 0.3ms G2G Response Time, adaptive sync and 240Hz. Original news piece with info here: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/acer- ... and-240hz/"

I almost pulled the trigger on the Asux XG25 but if "real" new panels are finally coming out I'll wait. Unless there is a crazy prime day deal on the best last gen 240hz.

karavanasam

Re: Finally a .3ms G2G panel review coming - Acer XF252QX

Post by karavanasam » 04 Jul 2019, 13:16

" Of most interest are the screens gaming specs which include an advertised 0.3ms G2G response time. This is the ‘minimum’ response time spec, with 1ms G2G also quoted. Whether or not this 0.3ms figure is achievable in real life remains to be seen of course, and it’s only good if that can be achieved without adding loads of overshoot being introduced. Response times across a range of pixel colour transitions also need to be consistently low, so it’s perhaps worth taking this spec with a pinch of salt for now until proper testing can be done. "
;)

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 04 Jul 2019, 13:31

0.3ms G2G panel is NOT 0.3ms G2G monitor
panel is panel. monitor is monitor. http://www.panelook.com/

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jul 2019, 10:44

This is quite true as the monitor motherboard changes the GtG speed by a huge amount.

Basically....overdrive tuning on the monitor's "motherboard" attached to the panel. Sometimes the panel already comes with one (scaler/TCON), but some manufacturers omit that and use their own (e.g. NVIDIA GSYNC module or Samsung module or whatever)

Things like simple overdrive gain, to complicated strobe-optimized overdrive lookup tables, to rocket science like variable-refresh overdrive. The overdrive universe ranges the whole gamut from Grade 3 mathematics all the way to University Calculus, depending on how advanced you want to engineer the overdrive.

The science of overdrive advanced hugely with the first 3D-compatible LCD panels. To avoid 3D crosstalk, you had to finish as much GtG as possible in the blanking interval between refresh cycles.

This engineering magic was also what made motion blur reduction possible too, and how LightBoost became more popular as a 2D motion blur reduction technique than for 3D glasses. (And helped launch Blur Busters, with our excellent LightBoost advocacy).

Overdrive is sometimes engineered into other monitor electronics (e.g. GSYNC module) that was not originally part of the original panel, so the GtG speed of the same panel can hugely vary depending on the quality of the overdrive engineering -- does a niche monitor vendor want to spend $1000 on overdrive engineering -- or $10,000 -- or does the monitor vendor want to spend >$100,000 on overdrive engineering? Or $1M, even, to invent a brand new overdrive algorithm for the first time? It's wholly possible. Many routes to overdrive tuning are possible, given the massive gamut of overdrive complexity that is possible.

Fortunately 80-90% of the overdrive is now commoditized nowadays, because the engineering costs of strobe-optimized overdrive programming was paid-for during the 3D Glasses craze, but some monitors/panels still do a crappy job of it -- the laws of physics is still a limitation. You can never hide those dark grey VA transitions completely, no matter how excellent your overdrive is -- the panel needs some re-engineering to get even faster.

It is cheap to speed up pixel response by 50% but it can be super-expensive to speed up pixel response by over 90%. There's a very geometric cost curve to try to shave off GtG time, once you've done all the low-lying overdive apples.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

masneb

Post by masneb » 16 Jul 2019, 17:30

Review is up if someone has early access, otherwise Friday.

Also can't find any information about this model in the US or availability.

BIG EDIT: The XF252QX is not the XF252Q, they just finished the review on the Q, apparently the QX is from earlier this year. More fun shenanigans with changing panels around from last year.

masneb

Post by masneb » 19 Jul 2019, 05:43

Looks like a winner, very much interested in this panel, however I can't find a seller inside the US... at all. Just a bunch of UK sellers. Anyone know when this panel became available and when it will be available in the US?

SilverOne

Post by SilverOne » 19 Jul 2019, 19:43

I'm really interested in the Acer XF252QX too. I'm guessing the latency is similar to xg258q??

Allot of new panels seem to be coming out should I wait for anything else or can i just purchase this one ?

PS: those UK sellers seem to be selling the xf252qX not the xf252Q.

Leki

Post by Leki » 20 Jul 2019, 05:35

SilverOne wrote:
PS: those UK sellers seem to be selling the xf252qX not the xf252Q.
Looks like the same model...a lot of listings have both model numbers in the same product listing

Manufacturer Part Number: UM.KX2EE.X01
Product Model: XF252Q
Product Name: XF252Q X Widescreen LCD Monitor

masneb

Post by masneb » 20 Jul 2019, 07:59

Yeah, there are a decent number of UK sellers for this particular model, not the QX. Not sure why UK received stock first, but they did. Also found a Russlan and swedish website selling them.

I'm really interested to try this model out and this might possibly be a upgrade from my PG258Q, where everything else seems like a compromise in one way or another and basically a side grade.

ROCKZ

Post by ROCKZ » 20 Jul 2019, 19:54

Looks like a really great model. It's pretty much in stock everywhere here in Moscow and goes for $350. For such price - it's a bargain.

Do you guys think it's a must-cop monitor? I've got time to wait for more new gen models as well. Thinking of upgrading my good ol XL2411Z