V248QE W/ G-SYNC VS. XL2420Z?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
TwentyFoe

V248QE W/ G-SYNC VS. XL2420Z?

Post by TwentyFoe » 08 Apr 2014, 14:45

I was about to order the BENQ any day now, but the availability of the G-SYNC makes me ponder.
pros and cons?

I won't be playing BF4 (I mention this because it's a heavy-ass game). in the near future I'll be playing CS:GO (mainly), DayZ, GTA V and Watch Dogs). and color display is important to me (will be using it to watch TV episodes here and there, etc, and also it's important to me in general)

Still go with the BENQ?

Thanks!

Haste

Re: V248QE W/ G-SYNC VS. XL2420Z?

Post by Haste » 08 Apr 2014, 19:19

Colors:
Both ULMB and BenQ blur reduction have better colors than lightboost.

Games:
CS:GO => XL2420Z w/ firmware v2 + Blurbusters strobe utility
To get the best motion clarity obtainable currently.

DayZ, GTA V and Watch Dogs => V248QE W/ G-SYNC
I don't think you would manage to get these games running at a stable constant 120fps without drops v-synced. (Even with very high end hardware.)
With strobe mode, you truly need frame rate = refresh rate and it is recommended to use 120Hz or higher.
- frame rate = refresh rate:
Otherwise you'll experience micro stuttering. And with low persistence mode there is no blur to hide the stutters. And because of the multiple image artifacts when running at refresh rate = multiple of frame rate.
- 120Hz or higher:
To avoid seeing flicker.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Apr 2014, 15:26

Tough decision, it will depend based on priorities.

With the Z-Series, you can also utilize lower strobe rates, e.g. 85fps@85Hz which still has less motion blur than non-strobed 120fps. Strobe rates are quite flexible with the Z-Series. The G-SYNC monitors also have a ULMB mode too as well (not currently yet adjustable in persistence, though).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TwentyFoe

Post by TwentyFoe » 09 Apr 2014, 19:04

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Tough decision, it will depend based on priorities.

With the Z-Series, you can also utilize lower strobe rates, e.g. 85fps@85Hz which still has less motion blur than non-strobed 120fps. Strobe rates are quite flexible with the Z-Series. The G-SYNC monitors also have a ULMB mode too as well (not currently yet adjustable in persistence, though).
oh, in your example 85fps@85hz has less motion blur than 120fps@144hz? that's pretty awesome
how accurate can you be when saying what beats the other?

I actually didn't even think about it, even though I did know it was available with the Z-series
cool, thanks ^_^

I guess I'll just order that
Like you said, you can always sell and buy a new monitor
maybe I'll do that in the future (not even sure it will be in the near future, because for now, the Z will be more than just enough), when gsync monitors are more common and affordable.

Haste

Post by Haste » 09 Apr 2014, 20:13

TwentyFoe wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Tough decision, it will depend based on priorities.

oh, in your example 85fps@85hz has less motion blur than 120fps@144hz? that's pretty awesome
how accurate can you be when saying what beats the other?
Chief has tested motion blurring caused by persistence extensively.
Basically 1 ms persistence = 1ms motion blurring = 1 pixel of motion blurring at 1000pixels/second
So 120fps => 8,3 ms motion blur
2ms persistence strobe => 2ms motion blur
1ms persistence strobe => 1ms motion blur

TwentyFoe wrote: I actually didn't even think about it, even though I did know it was available with the Z-series
cool, thanks ^_^

I guess I'll just order that
Like you said, you can always sell and buy a new monitor
maybe I'll do that in the future (not even sure it will be in the near future, because for now, the Z will be more than just enough), when gsync monitors are more common and affordable.
Wait.
It's not that simple because:

- 85Hz flicker might give you eye cancer. I know it does for me.

- You need a perfectly stable 85fps, every time it will drop below, It's gonna stutter badly. Remember there is less motion blur to "hide" the stutters.

Just making sure you're aware of that.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Apr 2014, 20:42

Haste wrote:- 85Hz flicker might give you eye cancer. I know it does for me.
For ULMB, there's always 100Hz, then 120Hz.
For BENQ, you can increase your refresh in 1Hz increments until you're happy.

Yes, motion on all strobe backlights will tend to be stuttery/jittery if the framerate/refreshrate is unmatched. Same thing happens on CRTs too as well.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!