Comparison - Low Input Lag at 144hz?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ArminC

Comparison - Low Input Lag at 144hz?

Post by ArminC » 10 Jul 2019, 05:34

Hey, out there are many models and I don't know which exactly to choose. I need some help...

What I want is a tested low input lag, as little as possible blur, no flicker, low blue light.

* I read all professional review sites but one doesn't have a model, another one doesn't have another model and so on... I couldn't reach a satisfactory 1:1 comparison conclusion.

List (I will directly convert from my local currency; by price order; 1080p):

ViewSonic XG240R ~ 277 Euro

ViewSonic XG2402 ~274 Euro

MSI Optix MAG241CR ~ 273 Euro

Samsung C27FG73FQU ~ 242 Euro

BenQ Zowie XL2411P ~ 198 Euro

Bonus list (240hz):

Alienware AW2518HF ~ 295 Euro

ACER KG251QDbmiipx ~ 249 Euro

-> It's normal to have the same price at double refresh rate? Aren't there some hidden downsides like bad panel or High Input Lag?

In the end, which one of these do you recommend? Can you make a comparison for the models? Thanks!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Comparison - Low Input Lag at 144hz?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Jul 2019, 11:38

Welcome to Blur Busters!

If you have a powerful GPU or play older games (CS:GO) then 240Hz will give you a competitive advantage that is worthwhile and you should seriously think about getting one. I'm more familiar with the AW2518HF at this time.

If you're trying to save money, the BenQ XL2411P is an excellent candidate. (The older 144Hz XL2720Z is easily overclockable to 220Hz using an undocumented trick, but I think there's a might be a way to do it to the XL2411P -- though nobody has tested the complex instructions yet)

Normally, 240Hz is noticeably more expensive, but the cheapest 240Hz can be cheaper than the most expensive 144Hz. There is a lot of quality overlap but generally you will have a competitive advantage with 240Hz if you manage sufficiently high frame rates.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ArminC

Post by ArminC » 12 Jul 2019, 09:40

Thanks! I don't know if I'll pick at 240hz bcs. I'm not only into eSport and overall most of the (newer) games, although it's only 1080p, I don't think they can achieve up to 200-300fps (required) at Medium/High settings. I plan to buy around this time a new RIG (at a 2070S/5700XT level). Also, I don't know about very much about background details (the blur, input and so on).. From what I have seen here the Acer not exactly the same model though (overall) got a problem over the Alienware (as a choose).

As for the 144hz,
From what I have seen these days on more sources, the ViewSonic (same models.. XG240R is a bitbetter than XG2402) is very good at the Input Lag subject + Flicker but it doesn't have that induced flicker (on/off) [strobe backglight I think] for fps games but the BenQ Zowie XL2411P has the Blur function but I don't know so much about the Input Lag (aside the washed colors). Is that BenQ at the same level as the VS or worse?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Jul 2019, 12:02

ArminC wrote:BenQ Zowie XL2411P has the Blur function but I don't know so much about the Input Lag (aside the washed colors). Is that BenQ at the same level as the VS or worse?
XL2411P is one of the most flexible strobed monitors on the market, because it supports the Blur Busters Strobe Utility. You can even choose-your-own-lag with the XL2411P strobe backlight too, fine-tuning between preferred strobe quality or preferred lower strobe lag, as seen in Do-It-Yourself Strobe Tuning. It supports single-strobing at any custom refresh rate, from 60Hz through 144Hz, and it will do it in an extremely-low-lag manner unlike many strobed gaming monitors.

If you want something easy such as an ON/OFF strobe setting and not worrying about the complicated art of strobe tuning, you may just ignore this and accept the default strobe quality included with the XL2411P. However, the BenQ Zowie XL2411P remains a benchmark as one of the world's most flexible for self-tunable blur reduction -- it has adjustable MPRT that goes as low as approximately ~0.25ms (at minimum pulse width / persistence), though more ideal persistence (MPRT) is 1ms-2ms. And you can adjust strobe phase to adjust location of crosstalk / location of lowest strobe lag -- basically adjusting the "Crosstalk" setting to put the strobe crosstalk band to right underneath your crosshairs, will nearly zero-out your middle-of-screen strobe lag.

Strobe Utility is not as effective on 240Hz monitors because 240Hz refresh cycles have low scanout lag, and other technical factors, but is very particularly effective on all 1080p 144Hz BenQ Zowie monitors, including the XL2411P if you like motion blur reduction.

Note:
Optional, but if you wish to support Blur Busters, use this Amazon link: BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P
(Direct click will automatically geo-locate to nearest North America / UK / European Union Amazon)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!