The best way to get 30fps on PC ?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
vinizs

The best way to get 30fps on PC ?

Post by vinizs » 10 Jul 2019, 06:34

Hi all,

I was looking for a way to get a smooth 30fps on my PC, My specs below:

TV Samsung 4k 60Hz
gtx 1070ti
i5 4440
12Gb DDR3

I always play my games at 4k 30fps, the method I usually use to cap my framerate is by Nividia inspector (half refresh rate + standard vsync).

The results are very good, but I was thinking, is it possible to get better results?
Maybe using another tools like RTSS or other..

Thank you in advance.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: The best way to get 30fps on PC ?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Jul 2019, 12:14

Many 4K 30fps gamers get great results with this:

1. Set your display to 4K 60Hz or 4K 120Hz (lower scanout lag even for 30fps)
2. Set your drivers to Fast Sync (reduces VSYNC ON lag) or variable refresh rate (FreeSync)
3. Set in-game frame rate cap to 30fps (less laggy to use in-game cap than external cap)

Some TVs have an undocumented 4K 120Hz mode, worth a try to try to reduce scanout lag. In some situations, 4K 120Hz only produces 60Hz (frameskipping), but what's interesting is that occasionally, that frameskipped 120Hz->60Hz mode has lower lag than native 4K 60Hz mode, so that can be piggybacked-on as a latency reduction.

The cause is that a higher refresh rate provides a defacto QFT effect (Quick Frame Transport -- faster transmission of individual frames on a video cable) even if your goal is a far lower frame rate.

This tends to produces the lowest-lag 30fps experience. 4K 30fps VSYNC ON at 4K 30Hz is super laggy (hundred of milliseconds) so it's a prime candidate for latency reduction techniques at multiple layers.

You can also use other techniques such as using 1080p 120Hz instead of 4K 30Hz, as most 4K 60Hz HDTVs support true 1080p 120Hz and you might actually get more temporal resolution (much clearer motion images) compensating for the reduced spatial resolution (less clear static images).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

vinizs

Post by vinizs » 11 Jul 2019, 07:42

Thank you for your help,

I did this method that you advised me but I did not get better results than I already have,

Do you know how is console solution for the 30fps cap ?
Maybe the developers use the same tools we already have or not ?

But thank you anyway.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 11 Jul 2019, 08:04

vinizs wrote:Do you know how is console solution for the 30fps cap ?
Maybe the developers use the same tools we already have or not ?
While not all console games actually have proper framepacing, the games that do it "right," usually use 30Hz + 30 FPS cap for the most consistent framepacing/feel.

The equivalent on PC is basically:
Nvidia Inspector: 1/2 refresh (@60Hz) + 30 FPS RTSS limit

That said, while it's the most "console-like" in feel, it obviously isn't the lowest lag, but then v-synced 30 FPS console games usually aren't either :P
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

vinizs

Post by vinizs » 11 Jul 2019, 08:46

The equivalent on PC is basically:
Nvidia Inspector: 1/2 refresh (@60Hz) + 30 FPS RTSS limit

Nice I'll try to do this again, I tried this solution a few days ago (Nvidia inspector 1/2 refresh + RTSS limit for 30fps), but I was having many stutterers that way, I needed to disable the RTSS and use only 1/2 refresh rate cap to run at 30fps with no stutter, but I'll try this solution again.

Maybe the RTSS version was too old.

Thank you for replies guys

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 11 Jul 2019, 20:55

You can try vsync OFF with RTSS scanline sync x/2. (To switch the s-sync mode click the "scanline sync" button. It will cycle between normal, x*2 and x/2. Use x/2.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 11 Jul 2019, 21:34

vinizs wrote:I tried this solution a few days ago (Nvidia inspector 1/2 refresh + RTSS limit for 30fps), but I was having many stutterers that way, I needed to disable the RTSS and use only 1/2 refresh rate cap to run at 30fps with no stutter
If you can't sustain 30 FPS at any point, with 1/2 refresh V-SYNC without adaptive mode, assuming you're not triple buffered, the framerate will lock to around 15 FPS in these instances (double buffer lock), causing stutter.

This is probably one of the reasons Nvidia only offers adaptive 1/2 refresh (disables V-SYNC when framerate drops below set multiple) in their own control panel.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Jul 2019, 12:04

In my experience:

I still highly recommend trying a RTSS 30fps cap instead while using Fast Sync or Enhanced Sync or one of the lower-lag adaptive syncs (possibly some of the ones mentioned). Depending on configuration, sometimes framerate slowdowns (28fps, 27fps) simply suddenly stutter rather than a sudden-lag-down to 15fps.

Many anecdotes have come in to tell me Scanline Sync does not seem to work well with half-VSYNC so just a plain cap.

Things get even smoother and lower lag if you choose a goldilocks differential. Use http://www.testufo.com/refreshrate to find your 60Hz refresh rate, then divide it exactly by 2. If you're using 120Hz to get 30fps, divide the number by 4. Then subtract approximately ~0.01 from that approximately "29.xxx" or "30.xxx" number you've gotten.

Then use that it as your RTSS cap simultaneously with Fast Sync (NVIDIA) or Enhanced Sync (AMD). That way, you get a lower-lag 30fps experience much more easily. There will be some beat-frequency stutter because of the 0.01 difference between framerate & Hz but it will still probably be much more tolerable latency than a lot of annoyingly high-lag "1/2 VSYNC" algorithms.

Please note that this capping differential is a different recommendation than used with GSYNC (Compatible) and FreeSync. Those can become superior ways to get 30fps in a much smoother and lower-lag way, if your television has some undocumented Adaptive Sync support. Few TVs do though, but it's merits a mention as some new TVs are being released with Adaptive Sync, and possibly some cheap TVs may unexpectedly work with undocumented Adaptive Sync support.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 12 Jul 2019, 22:56

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Many anecdotes have come in to tell me Scanline Sync does not seem to work well with half-VSYNC so just a plain cap.
Half-vsync is not needed. You can just use vsync OFF with scanline sync in x/2 mode. In this mode, RTSS simply skips every other sync trigger. Normal scanline sync is like a lagless vsync. Scanline sync x/2 is like a lagless half-vsync. And both are mainly used with vsync forced OFF.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

vinizs

Post by vinizs » 15 Jul 2019, 06:20

Hi guys, thank you for all replies,

Last weekend I has been tested all the option advised by you,

For me the best option is 1/2 Half Refresh vsync non-adaptive + RTSS 30fps limit cap, it combination gave me a smooth 30fps, seems more smooth than consoles, just a impression.

Maybe the developers´s solution to cap the framerate on consoles is some AMD technology to cap the refresh rate for the half and any other cap frame tool running on backgroud, I dont have sure.

The only issue I noticed using the combination 1/2 vsync non-adaptive+RTSS 30cap is stutterings in some games.

Thank you all