Dual 144 Hz monitors: smooth cursor, choppy windows!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
SharpHawk

Dual 144 Hz monitors: smooth cursor, choppy windows!

Post by SharpHawk » 17 Jul 2019, 15:58

The OS is Windows 7, GPU is an RTX 2060. I have two ASUS VG248QE monitors both set to a refresh rate of 120 Hz and connected to the GPU via Displayport. I don't set the monitors to their maximum refresh rate of 144 Hz so that there are no issues with framerate-capped games and programs, especially emulators. I use the primary monitor for almost everything, except streaming videos (such as Twitch) which I play on my secondary monitory.

As long as I'm not playing a video on the secondary monitor, both monitors operate correctly and smoothly. Waving the mouse cursor or windows around produce a smooth 120 Hz animation. However, if I start playing a video on the secondary monitor, waving a window around the primary monitor produces a choppy animation. Curiously:

1. Mouse cursor movement is still smooth! It's only window motion that is choppy.
2. The secondary monitor is still smooth (both window and cursor movement), despite using the same 120 Hz refresh rate as the primary monitor.
3. Playing a video on the primary monitor (instead of the secondary monitor) doesn't cause problems.
4. Using the NVIDIA control panel to change which monitor is set as primary DOES NOT change which physical monitor has issues.
5. Changing which monitor is connected to which port on the GPU DOES change which physical monitor has issues.
6. Increasing the refresh rate of EITHER monitor to 144 Hz solves the problem (?!?!?!)
7. Turning off Aero solves the problem.

Is this a known issue? I've heard of problems when running dual monitors with different refresh rates (I ran into this myself before switching to two high-refresh rate monitors), but not when the refresh rate is the same.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Dual 144 Hz monitors: smooth cursor, choppy windows!

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jul 2019, 17:25

Very strange multimonitor problem!

120Hz+120Hz = secondary smooth window, primary choppy window
144Hz+144Hz = both monitors smooth

Unfortunately, multi-monitor bugs are extremely widespread. There are many refresh rate bugs in Windows 10 operating system limitation, that Microsoft needs to fix eventually (and possibly with driver vendors too). This is becoming more of a common problem as esports is exploding in popularity.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!