RTINGS test 240Hz HP Omen X 25f - Lowest input lag yet

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Max_hz

Re: RTINGS test 240Hz HP Omen X 25f - Lowest input lag yet

Post by Max_hz » 01 Aug 2019, 12:25

I played some more and also watched a movie, yesterday I didn't noticed it but now i do, there are fine vertical lines in the background especially when moving around in the game or when the camera
is moving in a movie. Seems not related to overdrive settings it's in all modes.
It's more noticeable in light ambient.

@garetjax
Did you noticed such a thing? maybe it's only on mine unit.

Now I've seen it I think I can't accept it.

Anyone knows more about this? maybe artefacts?

It's a bummer course I really like this monitor.
In use: Asus VG259QM IPS 240-280hz - Hanns-G HS233 TN 120hz
Used before: LG 24LG600 TN 144hz - HP Omen X 25f TN 240hz - ViewSonic XG2402 TN 144hz - Asus VG259Q IPS 144hz

masneb

Post by masneb » 01 Aug 2019, 19:03

So where are you guys even buying this monitor? I can't find it for sale. The non-X version exists, but that's not this model.

garetjax

Post by garetjax » 01 Aug 2019, 19:11

Max_hz wrote:I played some more and also watched a movie, yesterday I didn't noticed it but now i do, there are fine vertical lines in the background especially when moving around in the game or when the camera
is moving in a movie. Seems not related to overdrive settings it's in all modes.

@garetjax

Can you take a pic? I don't remember seeing any but I'll recheck tomorrow - I have been on a business trip for a week returning tomorrow.

dadaw

Post by dadaw » 02 Aug 2019, 02:36

Max_hz wrote:I played some more and also watched a movie, yesterday I didn't noticed it but now i do, there are fine vertical lines in the background especially when moving around in the game or when the camera

@garetjax

It must be only your unit. I have this same monitor and nothing is noticed from what are you are observing.
XB273QX , Benq 2K 60hz , 8600K @ 5gHZ, 1080Ti , 2x8Gb 3200mhz CL14, Aorus Master Z390

Max_hz

Post by Max_hz » 02 Aug 2019, 06:22

Ok proberly the fine vertical lines only under motion that I discribe are called "vertical lines inversion artifact" according Chief!

Read this topic if you want to know more viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5346&hilit=vertical+lines+textures but
there are more topics about this.

Seems normal ( yes normal haha) on low lag high frame rate monitors for years now and are also part of the panel lottery.
I only see it in game when moving not in normal desktop use so far I know.
It could be worst but also less and is no reason for RMA almost like the dead pixel warranty from factories.
I can send the unit back to Amazon thats not the problem although It cost me another €40 Netherlands-Spain.
So I can choose to keep this monitor with the "vertical lines inversion artefact" knowing that there are beside that no other problems
whit this unit and there can be many!
Reading about people who exchanged their units 2-3 times and all of them where the same more or less hmm... difficult decision.
What do you guys think? advice is welcome.
Used before: LG 24LG600 TN 144hz - HP Omen X 25f TN 240hz - ViewSonic XG2402 TN 144hz - Asus VG259Q IPS 144hz

Max_hz

Post by Max_hz » 02 Aug 2019, 06:30

This is what Chief wrote on the geforce forums 05/21/2019:

This artifact is caused by LCD inversion and is most visible when viewing odd-pixel-step horizontal motion, as explained at these links:

Lagom Pixel Walk
Techmind Inversion
TestUFO Inversion

TL;DR: LCD Inversion is the art of alternating positive/negative voltage in adjacent pixels in adjacent refresh cycles, to keep voltage balanced, to prevent static buildup and prevent image retention in LCDs.

Artifacts caused by LCD inversion can include checkerboard-textures, fine-lines textures, or vertical-lines textures, especially in solid colors during eye tracking. LCD inversion should be normally invisible but sometimes LCD inversion generates artifacts like these.

Not all panels have this, it is more common with TN and to some extent VA, while mostly invisible or gone on IPS. Generally, the faster the pixel response is, the more visible inversion artifacts can become, and it gets tougher to compensate. On a good monitor, they should only be faintly visible rather than blatantly visible. They are also less visible on some monitor brands than others. It can also be a panel lottery issue as well, and sometimes one goes so abberant that it's a warranty claim -- but it can also be a manufacturer/model trend.

I clearly see them on an old ASUS VG278HE but this artifact is very faint (hard to see) on the ViewSonic XG2530, and nonexistent on the IPS-based 1440p 165Hz GSYNC monitors.

Mark
Chief Blur Buster
Founder of TestUFO

irrelevantspechack

Post by irrelevantspechack » 02 Aug 2019, 09:36

I wouldn't trust a monitor only based on theses numbers.
There is a considerable (in the 0.x ms range) amount of fastness you can gain by shitting the image quality.
I.E. your monitor is more fast but there is a considerable amount of reverse overdrive and such.

It's highly possible for me :

- AUO did release their new "0.5 ms branding" 240hz TN panel and it's what we all see with theses new models.

- They tweak their monitors until an "not made for gaming" setting that push them to be faster, without really being playable for competitive gamers, compare to the BenQ.

See tests on hardware.info in dutch (google translate), BenQ is still the more stable/fastest to date and all theses new monitor perform less better in this sense.

Will check the rating review but i'm sure if they do a proper review with inverse ghosting etc compared to the BenQ, BenQ will still win, because who want to see an approx. location of the player in the 0.x range faster compare to a real location for a few 0.xx ms of delay. Maybe some but I'd prefer to avoid some headache and let the pro make real on point monitors instead of looking for numbers that don't tell the whole story, even if true.

Would be like having a fast car that is not stable at all, you'd loose the race

Max_hz

Post by Max_hz » 02 Aug 2019, 10:44

Made my decision HP X 25F is on his way to Amazon Espanje.

I know now I've seen the vertical lines (although it could be worst in some cases) finally will annoy me, when I made a quick 360° turn
the view blurred more due the vertical lines, on mine old 120hz Hanns.G HS233 no problem also colours, greys etc where not really a big improvement except for the smoothness, inputlag, it's a fast monitor for sure, maybe I have to spend some more money choosing for built-in G-sync module,a more respectable brand or just wait a bit longer for other new monitors coming, or just accept the panel lottery, we will see.
Oh well, in the mean time I learned some more about monitors by reading the great technical knowledge Chief publish here.
The search will continue ;)

masneb

Post by masneb » 02 Aug 2019, 12:03

Having a very tough time finding this in stock anywhere or even available as a listing.

This is not the X 25f: https://4k-monitor.ru/catalog/hp/HP_OMEN_X_25/

The model number is: 4NK94AA

That is a old model with a older 1ms panel. The f is for the new monitor.

The model of the X 25f is: 4WH47AA

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... rison_1929

I would definitely check to make sure you have the right model and didn't order one of the older models on accident.

Edit: I found a listing and in stock at BestBuy and no where else of all places.

Max_hz

Post by Max_hz » 02 Aug 2019, 12:52

Depends on your location, I bought mine HP-OMEN X 25f at http://www.amazon.es but is also available at http://www.amazon.de
@garetjax bought his one on the US HP webshop if I remember that correct.