144HZ - very high power consumption

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
crun

Re: 144HZ - very high power consumption

Post by crun » 28 Jul 2014, 09:44

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
crun wrote:Is there any simple, light weight program with which I could switch between 120HZ/144HZ via global keybind?
PowerStrip has long been used for this. MultiRes is a utility that can do it easily via mouse. Both are available at http://www.entechtaiwan.com ... However, these tools are gradually getting dated, and we need modernized versions of similar tools.
Thanks a lot!

Kinda late reply, but was too lazy to test it out and I was running 144hz all the time recently.

MultiRes is outdated and couldn't recognize frequency above 120hz.

But PowerStrip works perfectly on W8.1. Now I can change 121hz/144hz using a simple keyboard shortcut.

Koldur

Post by Koldur » 01 Aug 2014, 10:59

Reading this thread made me do some testing and since I didn't thoroughly read the FP I assumed this would be the case even with one monitor so I started using GPU-Z and a wattage meter that goes in the wall outlet and to my surprise my GPU was always at a 100%, though when I closed Chrome, the low usage kicked in!
Disabling GPU acceleration solved it for me, now my system uses 50W less than before! Just add --disable-gpu to the Chrome shortcut and you will save a bit of money, while not losing anything! Just a small tip from my end.

I am happy I hastily read the FP, otherwise I would never have investigated my power usage.
Last edited by Koldur on 02 Aug 2014, 03:51, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Aug 2014, 14:30

That will cause you to lose WebGL, a technology increasingly used by several sites including the non-Flash Google Street View, as well as make motion more jerky on some sites such as www.testufo.com

I use 120Hz strobed, so I do not get that extra power even when keeping GPU acceleration turned on, except when there is lots of on-screen activity.

That said, a 50 watt idle savings is huge for a 24/7 computer just sitting there.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Koldur

Post by Koldur » 02 Aug 2014, 03:58

So with 120Hz strobed your GPU does not constantly run at 100% clock speed on Chrome with GPU acceleration enabled? Do you have any idea why? When I use 120Hz with lightboost on or off, or lower even, I still get 100% GPU usage with my VG248QE, no matter what.
I tried the ufo page, with no problems to be honest, so I am personally keeping it this way.