Acer XF252Q - this is my endgame

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
steel116

Acer XF252Q - this is my endgame

Post by steel116 » 12 Aug 2019, 13:31

Hello to everyone,

i wanted to share my feeback with you.

After 7 units of Dell AW2518HF, 2 units of Asus XG258Q, 1 unit of XG248Q, 1 unit of AOC AG251FZ and couple 144hz (but doesnt matter actually in 240hz segment)

(despite Notty opinion about 240hz monitors i have a different taste and judgment, for me Asus XG258Q was the worst along with AOC - in terms of them being completely unplayable due to high eye-strain, but ofc - Asus was the fastest before i bought Acer. But what about speed when i can't literally stare at the monitor for longer than 2-3 hours)

The conclusion is simple, XF252Q rocks. Godlike.
Like on my Dell AW2518HF that i used most - overdrive was pretty okey for me, acceptable with literally almost to zero ghosting or annoying trail. Its literally almost the same on Acer, with almost no-to zero ghosting. But you can literally feel the responsiveness of the monitor. I have to admit, that Acer has less features and build quality might be a bit worse, but that doesnt matter to me since i care all about the screen and performance. I'm waiting till late night to see how backlight bleeding looks like, since i really hate that and its hard for me to accept that at some stances.

This might be really funny to hear, but on Dell there were games which felt laggy, like screen was stuttering - i thought its my problem, related to me changing SSD's or overclocking my CPU. But after switchign to Acer, all lags went off. Games like Apex are so smooth ( and no, i did'nt change any settings) I have both side by side, and something is wrong with my Dell i think.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, i'll try to answer as best as i can.

michaelcycle00

Re: Acer XF252Q - this is my endgame

Post by michaelcycle00 » 12 Aug 2019, 14:28

I'm wondering how does that monitor compare to other 0.5ms 240hz monitors as well as the BenQ XL2546 which is a monitor most pro players swear by... I really need someone to review all these monitors. Any flaws you've found with this XF252Q btw?

theangryregulator

Post by theangryregulator » 12 Aug 2019, 15:00

Thanks for sharing man. I was initially looking for a 240hz monitor so i started with the xg258 but the overdrive was terrible to me so I'm still currently using a xg240r. I might checkout this acer later in the year.

steel116

Post by steel116 » 12 Aug 2019, 15:09

michaelcycle00 wrote:I'm wondering how does that monitor compare to other 0.5ms 240hz monitors as well as the BenQ XL2546 which is a monitor most pro players swear by... I really need someone to review all these monitors. Any flaws you've found with this XF252Q btw?
I haven't tried any 0.5ms panels yet. Despite Acer actually, but they claim its up to 0.3ms. (but yeah, as far as i know these panels are the same, its all about implementation and rest of the manufactury process)

To be honest - im only concerned to test out HP Omen X25F, but at the moment, i'm so happy with this Acer that you cant imagine. There is some backlight bleeding and clouding, but its acceptable( i really hate that in monitors, god im so pedantic). But atleast Its WAY WAY WAY better than on Dell AW2518HF. Its less noticeable. In some units of Dell AW2518HF bleeding/clouding was so awful that you could literally spot it even in not so dark sceneries.

What i noticed is that Acer is super bright, even if you turn down the brightness, the screen is glowing like a star. Ofc, that changes if you put VRB into Extreme mode, but as in reviews, i dont mind it. It's well balanced. You can find comfortable zone for you.

I still test the monitor as best as i can, the mount of the monitor will really attract a lof of people - its not as huge as Asus and Dell, it takes definitely less space and you can rest your keyboard peacefully, while on Dell or Asus i had to keep my keyboard low to not scratch it or just move and drag in annoying way.

I think i'm not going to order benq xl2546 any time soon, i dont like ghosting, and if you turn on the DyAc then input lag increases, which i'm not a big fan of :D :D :D

What i'm really surprised is how this monitor is advertised. Its not screaming " HEY, IM SO FAST, GAMING MONITOR" Looks so normal, there is nothing unique about this design, if you invite some people to your place and say this is monitor is 240hz, they probably wont belive you since most of them (ofc not all) looks like a spacemachines, but literally i dont mind it. It's BETTER THAT WAY and you know why? because community - we all as a customers get a really good product for LESS MONEY, and i don't care about aeshetics -> all that matters is pure performance and how responsive the screen is.

steel116

Post by steel116 » 12 Aug 2019, 15:14

theangryregulator wrote:Thanks for sharing man. I was initially looking for a 240hz monitor so i started with the xg258 but the overdrive was terrible to me so I'm still currently using a xg240r. I might checkout this acer later in the year.
Definitely mate - you have to test it out. I'm a big hater of XG258Q, like people at Asus are so blind because they released -monitor "as fast as possible" and they don't care about the rest. In their recent ASUS VG258QR 144hz 0.5ms the ghosting is the same shit, super annoying, and guaranteed eye-strain after 1 hour of playing.

Yeah, their monitors are fast, input lag might be low, but bitch please. I'm a pedantic guy, that cares a lot about input lag and responsiveness but i can't stand that ghosting. No way.

michaelcycle00

Post by michaelcycle00 » 12 Aug 2019, 15:26

May I know where did this hatred towards the BenQ XL2546 come from? 99% of the people that try it loves it and according to BenQ DyAc doesn't add any input lag. Not to mention no one has ever said they noticed ghosting while playing with this monitor. I also hate the fact that the XF525Q has some clouding and backlight bleed... even if it's just a little.

JimmyJimmyBTM

Post by JimmyJimmyBTM » 12 Aug 2019, 15:29

I'm now really curious about this monitor and the omen x 25f. But both of these are not available in the Netherlands.

When gaming at around 140 fps how does the image look on the 240hz acer compared to a 144hz monitor?

You mentioned Apex legends playing very smooth and that game probably drops to 140 fps since it is pretty gpu intensive for some odd reason.

steel116

Post by steel116 » 12 Aug 2019, 15:45

JimmyJimmyBTM wrote:I'm now really curious about this monitor and the omen x 25f. But both of these are not available in the Netherlands.

When gaming at around 140 fps how does the image look on the 240hz acer compared to a 144hz monitor?

You mentioned Apex legends playing very smooth and that game probably drops to 140 fps since it is pretty gpu intensive for some odd reason.
I had previous unit of Dell AW2518hf and game was smoother than on this unit of Dell AW2518HF ( i replaced a lot of Dell's due to bad backlight bleeding/backlight glowing) which i CANT STAND personally. I'm too pedantic to that shit especially because i like playing games with dark sceneries or horrors or watching films.

On 240hz i notice less tearing,

Right now on this Acer game feels really smooth. Maybe it's a similiar experience as on good unit of Dell aw2518hf, but input lag is literally noticeable when you compare both.

steel116

Post by steel116 » 12 Aug 2019, 15:50

michaelcycle00 wrote:May I know where did this hatred towards the BenQ XL2546 come from? 99% of the people that try it loves it and according to BenQ DyAc doesn't add any input lag. Not to mention no one has ever said they noticed ghosting while playing with this monitor. I also hate the fact that the XF525Q has some clouding and backlight bleed... even if it's just a little.
I can't relate actually as you said personally to BenQ, but i've seen a lot of players using it and a lot of reviews showing ghosting for instance, thats what im basing on. What i can say is that BenQ has best Black eQualizer - and i've tried them on all monitors. On Dell AW2518HF black eQualizer is garbage and adds grain to the picture, you can't use that option at all. Maybe that might be bad to give opinion about that, but well - Most players and friends i know, when they buy 240hz monitor they stick to it, and wont change or test other screens, and to be honest - most people when they buy 240hz they will claim that it's better than what they had before.

If you start testing them, experiencing all the features you will notice some differences which someone will like while others will hate.

michaelcycle00

Post by michaelcycle00 » 12 Aug 2019, 21:51

Mind naming one? I legit have not found a single bad review about the XL2546. I don't wanna seem defensive of the BenQ but their reviews show. I'm just trying to find the fastest 240hz panel :D