Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

Purchase advice: 240hz screen for rhythm games

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!

Purchase advice: 240hz screen for rhythm games

Postby a3d » 27 Aug 2019, 19:44

Hello guys! Need purchase advice for 240hz screen with lowest possiable input lag, tearing and highest smooth.
I need such a screen mostly for playing rhythm games like osu and dynamic shooters like quake (example of gameplay+refresh rate effect in osu https://youtu.be/iqWPpP8m0Ag) High refresh rate and low delay allows to perform waaay better in games like osu, because this game require a lot of reaction and feeling of the timing to achive accuracy and speed.

Things that i need:
- 27 inch screen perfered
- gsync for a couple of games (osu can run 1000fps on any toaster)
- High refresh rate and lowest possiable delay + input lag, highest response time (and other "important" parameters on a best level, that would allow me to achive smooth gameplay and fastest reaction)
- Borderless design
- High brightness, nice angles, antiglare screen (like benq that i currently have)
Things that i dont care about mostly:
- fancy rgb (i would perfer to buy custom ambilight)
- fancy "gaming" design
- software gaming features that would not make any sense in osu (like 3D)
- fancy image quality (performance is the priority)
- additional ports, headphone holders, speakers etc.

Options that i can order in my country:
1. ASUS ROG Strix XG258Q, XG248Q , PG258Q + a bunch of other Asus screens (a lot of people call this fastest screen ever, but its 24 inch and cost 500-600$, also i dont rly like this screaming gaming design and red backlight, is this worth to pay 500$ for this in my case?)
2. BenQ Zowie XL2740 + couple of other 240hz benq (currently i own old Benq, its good, but new cost 550-600$ + i dont rly like the design because i plan to buy and put another screen near my main, those plastic parts on left and right of the screen looks weird, i think it does not suite for dual screen setup because of the plastic parts, this screen has a lot of software gaming features, but is this worth to overpay for them?)
3. Acer Predator XB272bmiprz + couple of other Acers ( PRICE is 800$ this is the most expensive 27 inch 240hz screen, design is ok but also gaming, its borderless but also is this worth to overpay for this?)
4. Acer KG271BBmiipx (384$ the lowest price, 27 inch, borderless design, nothing to say but i am not sure if this would have the ultimate performance+delay for rhythm games)
5. LG 27GK750F-B (400-430$ which i see as a sweet spot, design is not "screaming gaming", thin borders, also i tested this and it was quite ok)

My question is: is this worth to overpay 100-200$ for those "gaming" asus, acer, benq, msi, alianware, hp screens with my requirements?
Right now i mostly aim to LG 27GK750F-B because the design is OK, price is also OK, LG is well known for the quality (a lot of internet gaming cafes in my city use lg 240hz)
I dont need any "build in crosshair" or 3d, i just need screen that performs best and would be fastest on the market in simple 2d games.

Also, what is the earliest version of display port, that version supports 240hz output? I need cheap graphics card for a couple of month before i would buy a new good one, can you please recomend me the cheapest graphics card (i would buy used probably) that have a displayport that would support 240hz@1080 output signal.
I hope that i can get help from this nice forum, thanks for the feedback in advance!
a3d
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 27 Aug 2019, 18:19

Re: Purchase advice: 240hz screen for rhythm games

Postby a3d » 28 Aug 2019, 07:24

Is this worth to wait XF252Q in my case?
a3d
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 27 Aug 2019, 18:19

Re: Purchase advice: 240hz screen for rhythm games

Postby 1000WATT » 02 Sep 2019, 20:06

Visually, I see the difference in input delay between different 240 hertz monitors. But to correct their movements in real time, receiving a lower delay at the entrance, I simply do not succeed.
My results are not changing.
I use only memory. I can reduce the size of the cursor to x0.1 and the result does not change again. I play only with the mouse.
(time in the game 7d 14h 43m)
I feel equally comfortable on any 144+ monitor. But this applies exclusively to the osu.
Last edited by 1000WATT on 02 Sep 2019, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.
1000WATT
 
Posts: 96
Joined: 22 Jul 2018, 05:44

Re: Purchase advice: 240hz screen for rhythm games

Postby rick41202 » 02 Sep 2019, 20:10

Among these monitors I'd say LG might be the one suits you.
IMO, for your needs, don't really need G-sync cause osu & quake could generate steady high FPS, and you want lowest delay.
But how about waiting for the new 27" 0.5ms models?
As I know Acer has already launch 27" 0.5ms monitor in Asia. Maybe other brands will have it soon.

I'm a osumania player, currently using XL2546 cause DyAc(motion blur reduction) can give me good motion clarity for those insane dropping notes haha~
Not sure if osu needs MBR though...

For graphic cards, I'd recommend GTX1060 or RX570, should get a nice deal from market w/ acceptable performance.
rick41202
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 01:17

Re: Purchase advice: 240hz screen for rhythm games

Postby a3d » 03 Sep 2019, 12:53

1000WATT wrote:Visually, I see the difference in input delay between different 240 hertz monitors. But to correct their movements in real time, receiving a lower delay at the entrance, I simply do not succeed.
My results are not changing.
I use only memory. I can reduce the size of the cursor to x0.1 and the result does not change again. I play only with the mouse.
(time in the game 7d 14h 43m)
I feel equally comfortable on any 144+ monitor. But this applies exclusively to the osu.

Thank's for your oppinion. I think i can also get rid to any "delay" and correct my movement+input according to this delay.
a3d
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 27 Aug 2019, 18:19

Re: Purchase advice: 240hz screen for rhythm games

Postby a3d » 03 Sep 2019, 13:13

rick41202 wrote:Among these monitors I'd say LG might be the one suits you.

Well, it's 27 inch, its much easier for me to play osu on a larger screen, but i am not sure if these have proper response for gaming, i mean for such delay-sensitive games like osu.
rick41202 wrote:IMO, for your needs, don't really need G-sync cause osu & quake could generate steady high FPS, and you want lowest delay.

I need G-sync for other modern games that i plan to play in future, ofc i dont need G-sync for such a simple games like Half-Life, cs 1.6&global offensive, quake and other cybersport games, where graphics mostly does not matter and its not that hard to get 240 fps even whis mid-range graphics card.
rick41202 wrote:But how about waiting for the new 27" 0.5ms models? As I know Acer has already launch 27" 0.5ms monitor in Asia. Maybe other brands will have it soon. Any info about release time in Europe? Also any other 0.5ms delay screens avaliable on a market?
delay.

Acer Nitro XF252Q? Yes, its a nice screen, but also people there are not 100% sure if those "0.5ms" is a marketing trick or a real thing.
This screen is 24.5, not 27, that is sad. And also i am not sure when this screen would be avaliable in my small country, i cant wait for half year for this screen.
rick41202 wrote:I'm a osumania player, currently using XL2546 cause DyAc(motion blur reduction) can give me good motion clarity for those insane dropping notes haha~
Not sure if osu needs MBR though...

Oh, you are the owner of new benq. Is this possiable to detach those weird plastic parts for dual screen setup??
What would you recomend BenQ Zowie XL2740 27 inch vs LG 27GK750F-B. I currenlty own a benq and very satisfied with this screen, but does those gaming features worth of overpaying in case of playing osu?
Image
rick41202 wrote:For graphic cards, I'd recommend GTX1060 or RX570, should get a nice deal from market w/ acceptable performance.

Since osu can run on any toaster i think for 2-3 month i need just the cheapest avalliable graphics card like HD 7750&gtx 560&gtx 650 etc. After this i play to buy highend one.
Mayby someone knows, what are the cheapest and the earlisest graphics cards that support displayport 1.2 for 240hz output?
I googled a bit and got info, that some 500 series of nvidia and 6000 series of Radeon have displayport 1.2.
Also, i want to ask, since my playfield in game is black and notes are blue and white, what would be the fastest solution on a market that able to switch pixels from black to white&blue.
Image
a3d
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 27 Aug 2019, 18:19

Re: Purchase advice: 240hz screen for rhythm games

Postby rick41202 » 04 Sep 2019, 04:48

a3d wrote:Well, it's 27 inch, its much easier for me to play osu on a larger screen, but i am not sure if these have proper response for gaming, i mean for such delay-sensitive games like osu.

For gaming monitors these days, should all have low input lag, might have some minor difference.

a3d wrote:I need G-sync for other modern games that i plan to play in future, ofc i dont need G-sync for such a simple games like Half-Life, cs 1.6&global offensive, quake and other cybersport games, where graphics mostly does not matter and its not that hard to get 240 fps even whis mid-range graphics card.

ok, PG258Q has G-Sync, and others all have G-Sync compatible, so don't worry about it 8-)

a3d wrote:Acer Nitro XF252Q? Yes, its a nice screen, but also people there are not 100% sure if those "0.5ms" is a marketing trick or a real thing.
This screen is 24.5, not 27, that is sad. And also i am not sure when this screen would be avaliable in my small country, i cant wait for half year for this screen.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_nitro_xf252q.htm
Yes it's real. But my concern is the build quality...
Well, if you're in a hurry, I believe 1ms TN is fast enough... I don't think I'll upgrade to the new 0.5ms ones.

a3d wrote:Oh, you are the owner of new benq. Is this possiable to detach those weird plastic parts for dual screen setup??
What would you recomend BenQ Zowie XL2740 27 inch vs LG 27GK750F-B. I currenlty own a benq and very satisfied with this screen, but does those gaming features worth of overpaying in case of playing osu?

Yes, you don't need to set the "shield" up.
I choose BenQ cause those gaming features fit my needs. I played a lot PUBG at that time, black equalizer & color vibrance are so game winning so I thought it as a MUST GO. The controller also helps on tweaking things. But for osu I'm not sure if you need those tweaking.
I also have a dual monitor setup with XL2546 & AOC AG322FCX, don't think the bezels really bother me~

a3d wrote:Also, i want to ask, since my playfield in game is black and notes are blue and white, what would be the fastest solution on a market that able to switch pixels from black to white&blue.

Not so sure but is this what GtG response time means? If so, your model list is fine with it. TN panels are still the fastest solution.
rick41202
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 01:17

Re: Purchase advice: 240hz screen for rhythm games

Postby a3d » 04 Sep 2019, 17:12

rick41202 wrote:For gaming monitors these days, should all have low input lag, might have some minor difference.

Are those "minor" differences are features for FPS games like PUBG or csgo or etc + design or some performace stuff? Because the price difference can be up to 200-300$ for some models. I never ever had a premium high refresh rate screen so i cant understand difference between common benq 240hz screens and sweet expensive acer&hp omen&asus and etc. Mayby i miss something because never had an experience of using such a thing.
rick41202 wrote:Well, if you're in a hurry, I believe 1ms TN is fast enough... I don't think I'll upgrade to the new 0.5ms ones.

I am kind of "not hurry" but i am not up to waiting half year for purchasing new screen because i plan to sell old one for a friend that dont want to wait too.
rick41202 wrote:Yes, you don't need to set the "shield" up.

Sweet!!! I like the quality of benq screens.
rick41202 wrote:Not so sure but is this what GtG response time means? If so, your model list is fine with it. TN panels are still the fastest solution.

I am also not sure what GtG means, need to read more about this. Mayby there are some special models that can switch pixels from black to white\blue faster, than another one so i want to know in order to purchase the fastest one, becasue for other games i dont care if the delay would be a little bit higher. I just need this "speed" only for 1 game - osu.
a3d
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 27 Aug 2019, 18:19

Re: Purchase advice: 240hz screen for rhythm games

Postby a3d » 06 Sep 2019, 04:04

Any other oppinions&advices?
a3d
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 27 Aug 2019, 18:19


Return to General — Displays, Graphics & More

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 13 guests