Wich one should I choose from these 3?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
tekszi

Wich one should I choose from these 3?

Post by tekszi » 30 Aug 2019, 13:29

Hello everyone!

I'm looking to buy a 240hz monitor and after doing a bit of research, it came down to these 3. I'm playing fps games almost all the time such as Overwatch and Apex Legends on a fairly decent level (diamond in both games) and also played TF2 competitively so I'm looking for the best option to improve with. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to monitors so I only have a rough idea which could work for me the best.

The monitors I think could work for me:

1: Acer Nitro XF252Q. According to some reviews, this is currently the fastest monitor out there, but the pricing makes me question whether the display is actually good.

2: Aorus KD25F. Only seen good reviews on other sites such as guru3d. I really like the features included in it.

3: Zowie XL2546. Because it's a popular choice among similar consumers like me and it was also a go-to monitor for a long time (was it?)

I really appreciate every comment and help in advance.

tekszi

whitepuzzle

Re: Wich one should I choose from these 3?

Post by whitepuzzle » 30 Aug 2019, 22:09

Wouldn't bother with the XL2546 when it's using the older M250HTN panel and the new panels are making their way into monitors such as XF252Q over the next few months.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Aug 2019, 23:01

Pros/cons of panel aside, the XL2546 has a very flexible-MPRT strobe backlight that is
(A) adjustable persistence from < ~0.25ms to about ~2ms
(B) Strobe phase is tunable for crosstalk/latency tradeoffs
(C) Flexible Hz, permits strobing in all 1Hz increments from ~75Hz thru 240Hz.
(D) Voltage boosted, for ~300 nits during strobe operation (at default settings)

It would be nice if more monitors had flexible motion blur reduction features.

That said, the other two are also excellent too.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

alapsu

Post by alapsu » 12 Sep 2019, 10:10

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Pros/cons of panel aside, the XL2546 has a very flexible-MPRT strobe backlight that is
(A) adjustable persistence from < ~0.25ms to about ~2ms
(B) Strobe phase is tunable for crosstalk/latency tradeoffs
(C) Flexible Hz, permits strobing in all 1Hz increments from ~75Hz thru 240Hz.
(D) Voltage boosted, for ~300 nits during strobe operation (at default settings)

It would be nice if more monitors had flexible motion blur reduction features.

That said, the other two are also excellent too.
Hey, wanted to ask a question about (C).

I've seen the XL2546's 75Hz strobing mentioned on this forum in a few places, but when I try setting my monitor's refresh rate to anything below 100Hz and use the Strobe Utility, I see horrible motion artifacts (as if the whole monitor is a really bad crosstalk zone). These artifacts go away when I increase the refresh rate to 100Hz or more.

Do you know if this is just a quirk of the strobe utility? Or is the utility accurately showing that my monitor not correctly strobing at sub-100Hz refresh rates?