XF252Q low-latency turns off / frame skipping(?)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
masneb

XF252Q low-latency turns off / frame skipping(?)

Post by masneb » 16 Sep 2019, 12:32

So I've noticed some peculiar behavior with my monitor and it appears the VRB post is another one. It turns off low latency-mode randomly. First off, it can't be turned on when FreeSync is enabled, it's greyed out. What I've also noticed is, when you turn it on, then turn on Freesync (while confirming it's on in the menu) it stays on, even if you power off/on the monitor. However when you enter a game sometimes it will disable low-latency mode, while Freesync is on. This can happen when the game starts or tab in and out of the game. Furthermore sometimes when you reset your PC it will sometimes enable/disable it.

It isn't just going into a Freesync game. I've had the option stick on a few times while being in games with Freesync on as well.

Considering both Rtings and TFTs review didn't mention this, either I got a dud (again) or they didn't check the menus as it likes to turn itself off randomly.

The other thing I've noticed is it seems the monitor may suffer from frame skipping. Considering the test here on BB seems to be broken it's very difficult to test, however what I have noticed is when in game with the OSD refresh monitor on it occasionally 'skips' to 240 and back down to some sort of normal FPS (Freesync is on). I don't know if this is the monitor doing it or a artifact of incompatibility with Nvidias Freesync implementation.

If you guys can check for these bugs maybe we could get someone with a bit of reputation to contact Acer and hopefully get a firmware update for it.

masneb

Re: XF252Q low-latency turns off / frame skipping(?)

Post by masneb » 18 Sep 2019, 22:57

Anyone? I have two days left on the return. If this is a problem with my particular monitor I'd like to know...

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 19 Sep 2019, 00:50

masneb wrote:First off, it can't be turned on when FreeSync is enabled, it's greyed out. What I've also noticed is, when you turn it on, then turn on Freesync (while confirming it's on in the menu) it stays on, even if you power off/on the monitor. However when you enter a game sometimes it will disable low-latency mode, while Freesync is on. This can happen when the game starts or tab in and out of the game. Furthermore sometimes when you reset your PC it will sometimes enable/disable it.
It seems the monitor can't use low-latency mode with FreeSync period.
When you turn on FreeSync in the monitor while being in desktop it will probably not be active but when you run a game, if the main menu limits fps lower than 240 then FreeSync kicks in and low-latency disables itself. Maybe some games will have more than 240 fps in the main menu but the moment you start playing it's when FreeSync kicks in and low-latency disables itself.
I'm just guessing but it's what it looks like.
Does low-latency ever disables itself when FreeSync is off? If not, this is why.
masneb wrote:The other thing I've noticed is it seems the monitor may suffer from frame skipping. Considering the test here on BB seems to be broken it's very difficult to test, however what I have noticed is when in game with the OSD refresh monitor on it occasionally 'skips' to 240 and back down to some sort of normal FPS (Freesync is on). I don't know if this is the monitor doing it or a artifact of incompatibility with Nvidias Freesync implementation.
What do you mean with the BB test is broken?!
And the OSD's refresh rate changing is just how FreeSync behaves. My monitor is also constantly showing different values.
Last edited by MatrixQW on 19 Sep 2019, 05:30, edited 1 time in total.

masneb

Post by masneb » 19 Sep 2019, 05:20

Do you own a XF252Q?

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 19 Sep 2019, 05:29

No but all monitors show this. If you have FreeSync on, the refresh rate is constantly changing even if you have an fps limit, if it's off it will show a fixed value.

masneb

Post by masneb » 19 Sep 2019, 10:34

That is indeed correct, I don't have problems with the refresh changing. It's specifically on some menus when it's locked to 60 or 58-62fps it will occasionally jump to 240 and then back down. Afterburner will not show this increase in FPS which means either it's a OSD bug or it's a bug with Freesync or specifically the monitor and it's implementation.

Yup I can understand behavior of the menus and the assumed logic, however this was not mentioned in any of the reviews and I haven't seen any of the other buyers mention that Low Latency shuts itself off.

pox02

Post by pox02 » 19 Sep 2019, 11:04

hmm seems acer disable it in firmware so you need unlock it unlucky asus GameFast Input technology work with freesync/gsync thanks for let me know i had hopes for this model (wait for xf272x)
monitors xg258q aw2518hf 27GK750F-B pg248q xg240r lg w2363d-pf xb270hu XL2546 XL2546K NXG252R

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 19 Sep 2019, 18:07

Many monitors (if not all) disable low latency mode when FreeSync is ON. It mentions in many reviews of different FreeSync models. I have BenQ XL2540 and "Instant Mode" OSD menu option is grayed out (disabled) and can't be changed when FreeSync is ON.

boxszs

Post by boxszs » 19 Sep 2019, 22:02

Does low latency turn off for you with FS off? I am looking to buy this monitor for CS:GO and need the fastest monitor possible.

masneb

Post by masneb » 20 Sep 2019, 01:35

No, it's just with FS on.

Also the two reviews don't state this. I tweeted at TFT and he seemed perplexed by this as well. While you can't change the setting when FS is on, it also allows you to turn on Low Latency Mode and shows up that way with FS on. Saying this is 'normal' behavior is like saying no-ghosting is normal behavior or no halos... All monitors are different. You can't trust brands let alone technology to always work out a certain way in this case.