Found the best gaming monitor by accident

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
m4gg0t

Re: Found the best gaming monitor by accident

Post by m4gg0t » 04 Nov 2019, 15:47

I wondering to get this or the ASUS VG258QR.

m4gg0t

Post by m4gg0t » 07 Nov 2019, 09:32

So i ordered the XN253QP and it came with a dead pixel on the lower right side and a long line of dead pixels on the left side. It also has this vertical lines which seems to be a normal thing with these TN panels from AUO. Other then these issues I'm happy with the monitor over all. I'm going to get a replacement to get one without dead pixels.

phixion

Post by phixion » 08 Nov 2019, 15:53

Well, I ordered the 144Hz one. Especially after watching the review on the 240Hz version @ https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/acer-xn253qx/

I hope I get a good unit and that 144Hz will be good enough for me, I am also upgrading my graphics card to an RTX 2070 Super.

I was initially going to go for a 1440p 144Hz IPS but it seems all of them have issues of their own at the moment, so I will wait to see what happens in the future.
Acer Predator XN253QX 240Hz G-Sync

Legacy

Post by Legacy » 09 Nov 2019, 05:35

as for me i've got the 240hz version of it and soo far it's good, no dead pixel and everything work perfectly, also the 100hz strobbing mode seem to be working perfectly and it has less or maybe no pixel inversion artefact ? (in comparison my previous 60hz monitor "asus vx238h" had much of this using all of blur buster tests on this page https://www.testufo.com/inversion#patte ... tion&ppf=5 ) and to this time i'm still testing it ingames and all :)

m4gg0t

Post by m4gg0t » 09 Nov 2019, 14:02

Well, I got my replacement from Amazon so far I don't see any dead pixels or the other issue I had. It has very faint areas with BLB, but it's very hard to notice. You have to try very hard to see it.

Over all the replacement panel looks to be good so far, hope it stays that way.

Now if i can only find a website that gives some settings for it.

m4gg0t

Post by m4gg0t » 09 Nov 2019, 14:07

Legacy wrote:as for me i've got the 240hz version of it and soo far it's good, no dead pixel and everything work perfectly, also the 100hz strobbing mode seem to be working perfectly and it has less or maybe no pixel inversion artefact ? (in comparison my previous 60hz monitor "asus vx238h" had much of this using all of blur buster tests on this page https://www.testufo.com/inversion#patte ... tion&ppf=5 ) and to this time i'm still testing it ingames and all :)
This monitor does have pixel inversion, but I have to see if it really annoys me when playing games. So far i haven't played many games on the monitor. If it really bothers me, I'm guessing I'd have to return it and get the LG GL850/GL83A IPS instead....

phixion

Post by phixion » 09 Nov 2019, 15:01

m4gg0t wrote:Well, I got my replacement from Amazon so far I don't see any dead pixels or the other issue I had. It has very faint areas with BLB, but it's very hard to notice. You have to try very hard to see it.

Mine seems good considering, very acceptable for a TN.

I see slight backlight bleed around the very edge (on a black screen) but it's uniform and to be expected and so minor I am extremely lucky.

I used the settings and ICC profile from here: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/acer-xn253qx/

m4gg0t

Post by m4gg0t » 09 Nov 2019, 16:15

phixion wrote:
m4gg0t wrote:Well, I got my replacement from Amazon so far I don't see any dead pixels or the other issue I had. It has very faint areas with BLB, but it's very hard to notice. You have to try very hard to see it.

I see slight backlight bleed around the very edge (on a black screen) but it's uniform and to be expected and so minor I am extremely lucky.

I used the settings and ICC profile from here: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/acer-xn253qx/
That's good to hear, you had better luck then I did on the first try. So far I can say I'm pleased with the replacement. I have some slight BLB around the edges too, its only really noticeable when I have the lights switched off in the room, with the lights on it's hardly noticeable. I'm going to properly play some games tomorrow and see how it is. From my short test in BFV I hardly notice the pixel inversion on this replacement monitor, on the first monitor it was very bad I could see it all the time. I tried really hard to see it on the replacement but it was not noticeable at all so that's a good thing I don't have to spend more money on the LG.

phixion

Post by phixion » 09 Nov 2019, 16:45

m4gg0t wrote:
phixion wrote:

That's good to hear, you had better luck then I did on the first try. So far I can say I'm pleased with the replacement. I have some slight BLB around the edges too, its only really noticeable when I have the lights switched off in the room, with the lights on it's hardly noticeable. I'm going to properly play some games tomorrow and see how it is. From my short test in BFV I hardly notice the pixel inversion on this replacement monitor, on the first monitor it was very bad I could see it all the time. I tried really hard to see it on the replacement but it was not noticeable at all so that's a good thing I don't have to spend more money on the LG.
One thing I have noticed is that the screen is brighter on the bottom than it is on the top. I know this can be a "TN thing" but I was wondering whether you are seeing the same?

Some of it appears to be an viewing angle thing because if I move my head down, text along the bottom looks crisp, whereas when I have it at normal level text appears to be thinner and less "bold" along the bottom portion of the screen. If I scroll this forum, text is grayer/thinner when at the bottom and gets progressively darker as I scroll it up--are you seeing this too?

In regards to the BLB, mine is around the edges but doesn't go very far from the edge and is only really noticeable in a dark room with a black background, however the panel tested at pcmonitors.info did not have BLB.

Also, looking at YouTube in dark mode, the top portion of the page appears darker than the bottom, I heard in the pcmonitors.info review this was normal and their panel also had the same and it was to be expected from TN panels.

Are you seeing this too? If so then I guess it's normal, if not then maybe I should try for another panel and see how it fairs.

It seems the vertical lines are interlace pattern artifacts, on almost all fast response time monitors, only way around it is to get a slower response monitor.

m4gg0t

Post by m4gg0t » 10 Nov 2019, 10:45

phixion wrote:
m4gg0t wrote:
phixion wrote:

One thing I have noticed is that the screen is brighter on the bottom than it is on the top. I know this can be a "TN thing" but I was wondering whether you are seeing the same?

Some of it appears to be an viewing angle thing because if I move my head down, text along the bottom looks crisp, whereas when I have it at normal level text appears to be thinner and less "bold" along the bottom portion of the screen. If I scroll this forum, text is grayer/thinner when at the bottom and gets progressively darker as I scroll it up--are you seeing this too?

In regards to the BLB, mine is around the edges but doesn't go very far from the edge and is only really noticeable in a dark room with a black background, however the panel tested at pcmonitors.info did not have BLB.

Also, looking at YouTube in dark mode, the top portion of the page appears darker than the bottom, I heard in the pcmonitors.info review this was normal and their panel also had the same and it was to be expected from TN panels.

Are you seeing this too? If so then I guess it's normal, if not then maybe I should try for another panel and see how it fairs.

It seems the vertical lines are interlace pattern artifacts, on almost all fast response time monitors, only way around it is to get a slower response monitor.
The difference in brightness between the top and bottom of the monitor is the same for me. It's a TN thing, I have the same on my PG278Q that is back home. It doesn't really bother me much.

The interlaced pattern is a lot better on this replacement monitor compared to the first one I received, I have to look really hard to see it and sometimes see it on certain colors in game. Again, my PG278Q has these, though very hard to notice due the the 1440p resolutions which makes it harder to spot.