Found the best gaming monitor by accident

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
phixion

Re: Found the best gaming monitor by accident

Post by phixion » 10 Nov 2019, 11:13

m4gg0t wrote:The difference in brightness between the top and bottom of the monitor is the same for me. It's a TN thing, I have the same on my PG278Q that is back home. It doesn't really bother me much.

The interlaced pattern is a lot better on this replacement monitor compared to the first one I received, I have to look really hard to see it and sometimes see it on certain colors in game. Again, my PG278Q has these, though very hard to notice due the the 1440p resolutions which makes it harder to spot.
I see, well... my curiosity has killed me and I ordered another (from Amazon this time), so I will have it delivered tomorrow.

I am happy with the monitor, but I am going to see which panel is better and keep it.

There's always that chance I will get a flawless panel... :D

I feel kinda bad doing it, but I'm sure ebuyer and amazon are rich enough to take a hit, I just wish a manufacturer would come along and sort these small issues. BLB on TN shouldn't really be a thing, I've read that people have fixed theirs by using electrical tape to block the light around the bezel. I've also heard of BLB improving over time, it seems areas that have had higher pressure applied bleed more, and over time with heat and time the BLB reduces.
Acer Predator XN253QX 240Hz G-Sync

m4gg0t

Post by m4gg0t » 10 Nov 2019, 11:35

phixion wrote:
m4gg0t wrote:The difference in brightness between the top and bottom of the monitor is the same for me. It's a TN thing, I have the same on my PG278Q that is back home. It doesn't really bother me much.

The interlaced pattern is a lot better on this replacement monitor compared to the first one I received, I have to look really hard to see it and sometimes see it on certain colors in game. Again, my PG278Q has these, though very hard to notice due the the 1440p resolutions which makes it harder to spot.
I see, well... my curiosity has killed me and I ordered another (from Amazon this time), so I will have it delivered tomorrow.

I am happy with the monitor, but I am going to see which panel is better and keep it.

There's always that chance I will get a flawless panel... :D

I feel kinda bad doing it, but I'm sure ebuyer and amazon are rich enough to take a hit, I just wish a manufacturer would come along and sort these small issues. BLB on TN shouldn't really be a thing, I've read that people have fixed theirs by using electrical tape to block the light around the bezel. I've also heard of BLB improving over time, it seems areas that have had higher pressure applied bleed more, and over time with heat and time the BLB reduces.
LOL, that's a first.

I wish you good luck! Do report back about the new monitor.

m4gg0t

Post by m4gg0t » 11 Nov 2019, 11:31

ohh no, I just started to notice this after a day....

sigh

phixion

Post by phixion » 11 Nov 2019, 14:35

m4gg0t wrote:ohh no, I just started to notice this after a day....

sigh
Oh no, that looks bad. It reminds me of some photos I've seen on reddit of BLB, some people seem to think it's the way the monitor is stored, if it's flat and the weight is pressing down on the panel.

I know photos can make it look worse, so it's probably not as bad IRL and it will most likely improve (if you can live with it).

I got my new one from Amazon today, and it's far far better. No BLB at all, even around the edges, I've tested some games and as of yet haven't seen any of the interlacing problem I was seeing on my last one. They were really pronounced on the old monitor, it looked as if I was playing on a CRT at times.

The dark at the top to bright on the bottom isn't as pronounced on this panel and text appears more crisp lower down the screen than it does on the old one.

I've requested a return on the old one and I'm keeping the new one.

The colours between the two were slightly different, the old one had slightly deeper colours with the same settings applied, but had very blinding whites, whereas the new one has less blinding whites.

I'm glad I took the chance, 2 of the major issues I had (BLB and scanlines) don't exist on this one.

m4gg0t

Post by m4gg0t » 11 Nov 2019, 17:18

phixion wrote:
m4gg0t wrote:ohh no, I just started to notice this after a day....

https://imgur.com/4DpjcpA

sigh
Oh no, that looks bad. It reminds me of some photos I've seen on reddit of BLB, some people seem to think it's the way the monitor is stored, if it's flat and the weight is pressing down on the panel.

I know photos can make it look worse, so it's probably not as bad IRL and it will most likely improve (if you can live with it).

I got my new one from Amazon today, and it's far far better. No BLB at all, even around the edges, I've tested some games and as of yet haven't seen any of the interlacing problem I was seeing on my last one. They were really pronounced on the old monitor, it looked as if I was playing on a CRT at times.

The dark at the top to bright on the bottom isn't as pronounced on this panel and text appears more crisp lower down the screen than it does on the old one.

I've requested a return on the old one and I'm keeping the new one.

The colours between the two were slightly different, the old one had slightly deeper colours with the same settings applied, but had very blinding whites, whereas the new one has less blinding whites.

I'm glad I took the chance, 2 of the major issues I had (BLB and scanlines) don't exist on this one.
Well that's good to hear, I'm glad you don't face any issues with your new monitor. The issue I have only appeared today so...

I'm going away for a few weeks tomorrow so I can't do anything with the monitors yet. When I come back I'll take another look and decide what to do. Problem is now that I see it, I see it all the time. I might just return it and spend a little more on the LG or get another replacement, don't know yet. The LG is way more expensive though. My luck is just so great LOL.

phixion

Post by phixion » 12 Nov 2019, 13:19

m4gg0t wrote:Well that's good to hear, I'm glad you don't face any issues with your new monitor. The issue I have only appeared today so...

I'm going away for a few weeks tomorrow so I can't do anything with the monitors yet. When I come back I'll take another look and decide what to do. Problem is now that I see it, I see it all the time. I might just return it and spend a little more on the LG or get another replacement, don't know yet. The LG is way more expensive though. My luck is just so great LOL.
I mean, price you pay won't determine the quality of panel. But I guess you know that already.

It's just about luck really, maybe order from a few difference places and keep the best one?

m4gg0t

Post by m4gg0t » 12 Nov 2019, 15:50

phixion wrote:
m4gg0t wrote:Well that's good to hear, I'm glad you don't face any issues with your new monitor. The issue I have only appeared today so...

I mean, price you pay won't determine the quality of panel. But I guess you know that already.

It's just about luck really, maybe order from a few difference places and keep the best one?
I guess so, but it's already quite expensive thing to do. Ordering a new one, sending back a old one. I also do not wish to have to deal with other websites with returns and stuff. What if they don't pay return shipping and all that. Amazon is just so much easier. If only this monitor didn't have that oval issue, would've been perfect.

SubY13

Post by SubY13 » 03 Dec 2019, 15:07

Is the ghosting of it really that bad as it is described in some recensions? :|
Last edited by SubY13 on 09 Dec 2019, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Dec 2019, 16:59

m4gg0t wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 11:31
ohh no, I just started to notice this after a day....

LCD pressure spots from rear mount. Keep monitor on 24 hour and vertical for one or two days, and see if that fades. This sometimes happens when the monitor is stored/shipped flat (not right side up) or the back is assembled too tight. If it doesn't disappear, then this is bad enough for RMA.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Scriba

Post by Scriba » 10 Dec 2019, 11:59

What's the difference to the acer XN3, everything seems the same but one is cheaper?
acer.PNG
acer.PNG (83.68 KiB) Viewed 5878 times