Confused: Less blur but more ghosting?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
screaminglemon

Confused: Less blur but more ghosting?

Post by screaminglemon » 05 Oct 2019, 19:18

I think perhaps I might be misinformed or missing some fundamental knowledge. Maybe someone can enlighten me and help my ape brain understand.
I have 2 new monitors here to compare. Both budget Viotek 27" 1440p 144hz, one is TN and one a VA. The TN obviously has faster response times. When I run the UFO ghosting test, the TN panel has WAY less ghosting than the VA, as expected. However, even though they are running at the same refresh/resolution and the VA has more ghosting, the UFOs on the VA are noticeably clearer. Yes there is ghosting behind the UFO but the UFO itself is much clearer and better detailed.
Am I missing something? I thought generally, more ghosting equaled more blur. How am I seeing more ghosting but less blur? Is this just an effect of the UFO test itself and games would react as expected? I don't have enough time with these monitors yet to say how they compare in actual games.
I suspect ghosting and blur might be fundamentally different metrics, I just always thought they were linked. Or possibly, there is something wrong with the TN panel. There is a 1/4" string of dead pixels which is why I got a second and this needs to go back soon.

screaminglemon

Re: Confused: Less blur but more ghosting?

Post by screaminglemon » 06 Oct 2019, 16:57

There must be something wrong with my TN panel. I am seeing something similar to crosstalk, a double image. I clearly see 4 landing gear legs on the UFO instead of 2. Its weird because these monitors don't have ULMB or any blur reduction mode. Maybe something wrong with the backlight on this one.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Oct 2019, 18:34

Glad to help. Common question, and we’re the experts in providing answers on this.

See these FAQs:

- LCD Motion Artifacts 101
- LCD Overdrive Artifacts

Motion blur is the symmetrical part of the blur:

Ghosting/Coronas is the asymmetry in the blur:

It’s possible to have more ghosting and less motion blur. And there can be “steps” in the ghosting, because that’s the refresh passes. Sometimes it takes multiple refresh cycles to finish erasing all of the ghosts. In these images, the ghosts take about 2 refresh cycles to erase, with a strong-ghost suddenly fading to faint-ghost during the subsequent refresh cycle “re-wipe”.

It’s like the Etch-A-Sketch being shaken partially, the lines are faded but not fully erased. You shake again harder, to fully erase. LCDs can have a partial-erase effect during subsequent scan outs — a ghosting behaviour — high speed videos — http://www.blurbusters.com/scanout
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Oct 2019, 08:40

Another possibility is your monitor has something called “PWM dimming”, where your backlight does unsychronized flicker to dim your image. It can also be confused with strobe crosstalk.

Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors