Looking for a 240 hz monitor

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
愛rain

Looking for a 240 hz monitor

Post by 愛rain » 25 Nov 2019, 15:41

Suggestions? Is there anything new coming in the next few months - if not what are the current best options for shooters/reaction based games.

Edit: currently looking at XL2546 from BenQ. Does this have any shortcomings?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Looking for a 240 hz monitor

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Nov 2019, 18:59

I've been working with 240Hz 1ms IPS panels.

TN panels are great contenders (Especially as we continue the refresh rate race to retina refresh rates, like 480Hz).

However, I now think 240Hz 1ms IPS is going to kind of shake things up somewhat in esports.

An announcement is coming this week of a new Blur Busters initiative. Keep tuned.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

witega

Post by witega » 26 Nov 2019, 00:37

Awesome Chief! Is this the Acer model that was announced back in July?

Look forward to your announcement this week. Cheers!

elrondisilra

Post by elrondisilra » 27 Nov 2019, 13:58

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 18:59

TN panels are great contenders (Especially as we continue the refresh rate race to retina refresh rates, like 480Hz).

However, I now think 240Hz 1ms IPS is going to kind of shake things up somewhat in esports.

An announcement is coming this week of a new Blur Busters initiative. Keep tuned.
I was about to buy Omen x25f tomorrow and saw your comment sir, should I wait for better input lag scores? Little hint might be really helpful, thanks in advance. :)

SilverOne

Post by SilverOne » 27 Nov 2019, 20:37

elrondisilra wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 13:58
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 18:59

I was about to buy Omen x25f tomorrow and saw your comment sir, should I wait for better input lag scores? Little hint might be really helpful, thanks in advance. :)
I'm in the same position :) do these displays have less input lag / faster pixel responsiveness than the 25F or the new 1.9 AUO panel ?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Nov 2019, 21:03

For the monitor I've been custom tuning:

Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR pre-tuned by Blur Busters!

It's a 240 Hz 1ms IPS panel, not a TN panel. Mind you, it is definitely esports-league IPS.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

elrondisilra

Post by elrondisilra » 28 Nov 2019, 06:56

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 21:03
For the monitor I've been custom tuning:

Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR pre-tuned by Blur Busters!

It's a 240 Hz 1ms IPS panel, not a TN panel. Mind you, it is definitely esports-league IPS.
Should I assume that it has bettter image quality or blur reduction but not input lag? I'm confused.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Nov 2019, 19:20

Blur Busters tuning is on the strobe backlight mode.

Historically, many strobe backlight modes (such as LightBoost) have had poor color quality, super-excessive loss of brightness, and excessive strobe crosstalk. The Blur Busters Approved certification program is designed to ensure that the strobe-backlight mode meets minimum quality criteria.

So yes, better image quality during blur reduction mode. To the name sake of Blur Busters -- we originally exist because of motion blur reduction modes. We're the site that made LightBoost famous! Official Blur Busters announcements are coming. We'll be officially announcing more details about our Blur Busters Approved certification programme in the coming months, by CES 2020.

ViewSonic is the first-ever monitor to meets the Blur Busters certification criteria for strobe-backlights.

As for input lag, while all strobe backlights have some interactions with latency (not necessarily entirely bad) -- I'm pleased to observe the XG270 also happens to have really low latency whether it is strobed or not. Strobed-vs-strobed, or nonstrobed-vs-nonstrobed, it is pretty competitive with the fastest TN monitors I've seen.

Stitch7

Post by Stitch7 » 29 Nov 2019, 05:39

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
28 Nov 2019, 19:20
Blur Busters tuning is on the strobe backlight mode.

Historically, many strobe backlight modes (such as LightBoost) have had poor color quality, super-excessive loss of brightness, and excessive strobe crosstalk. The Blur Busters Approved certification program is designed to ensure that the strobe-backlight mode meets minimum quality criteria.

So yes, better image quality during blur reduction mode. To the name sake of Blur Busters -- we originally exist because of motion blur reduction modes. We're the site that made LightBoost famous! Official Blur Busters announcements are coming. We'll be officially announcing more details about our Blur Busters Approved certification programme in the coming months, by CES 2020.

ViewSonic is the first-ever monitor to meets the Blur Busters certification criteria for strobe-backlights.

As for input lag, while all strobe backlights have some interactions with latency (not necessarily entirely bad) -- I'm pleased to observe the XG270 also happens to have really low latency whether it is strobed or not. Strobed-vs-strobed, or nonstrobed-vs-nonstrobed, it is pretty competitive with the fastest TN monitors I've seen.
Viewsonic will also be releasing a 240Hz 1440p IPS monitor. Is there any chance you will be tuning that one too?
At the distance I'm sitting at 27" 1080 is too low. I would be able to see individual pixels and it would be too far off my visual acuity.
Nevertheless I'm stoked to see what you did with that monitor!

Mr1991

Post by Mr1991 » 29 Nov 2019, 18:05

Well according to this the XG270QG has 4ms of input lag; https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/17401bb5 which is the 1440p ips but with 165hz not 240.

Though I don't know how accuarate their tests are I'm guessing it can only be lower than that.