1440p 240Hz Monitor recommendation

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
shedokan

1440p 240Hz Monitor recommendation

Post by shedokan » 12 Dec 2019, 22:58

I’ve been using BenQ XL2411T since 2014, 144Hz 1080p. I just upgraded my PC to 2080RTX i9 9900k and looking to get a new monitor.

1440p and 240Hz is a must, what is the best Monitor I can get?

Sadly I never kept following about monitors tech much all those years, back in 2013-2014 if I recall LightBoost was a new thing from Mark in OCN and it was great but I ended up preferring not using it in games really, not sure what is available those days but I don’t really need it (unless it has greatly improved, I mean it used to have lag and bad brightness)

Thanks in advance!

Electricthunder

Re: 1440p 240Hz Monitor recommendation

Post by Electricthunder » 13 Dec 2019, 13:42

I am in a similar boat right now, upgrading from a viewsonic xg2401.
As for 1440p 240hz there are currently only 2 options available at the time of this post.
The hp omen x27 with freesync 2 for $649 and the lenovo legion Y27gq with gysnc 2 for $999.
Both monitors support hdr with the new freesync/gsync variants.
If I had a AMD graphics card I would buy the omen without a second thought, but since I am on Nvidia I want a monitor that supports gsync for variable overdrive but im not about to shell out 1k for the legion.

Then another notable option is the viewsonic xg270 which is a 240hz, tho only 1080p it is the first IPS panel at 240hz and the blur reduction strobing mode was customized by the blur busters chief. He said the blur reduction reaches crt levels of clarity when running reduction in 120hz mode.

If money is no object and you have a RTX card I would recommend the Legion
If you want to save some money and your have a AMD card then the omen is a perfect fit.
Realistically the omen should perform great with any card
One complaint I read about both the lenovo and the omen is that the anti glare coating is very aggressive and can be noticeable with bright whites on screen (ex. web pages)

Hopefully this was useful for you, I've been going down the monitor rabbit hole for several days trying to pick a winner or justify that lenovos pricetag

shedokan

Post by shedokan » 15 Dec 2019, 02:39

Electricthunder wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 13:42
I am in a similar boat right now, upgrading from a viewsonic xg2401.
As for 1440p 240hz there are currently only 2 options available at the time of this post.
The hp omen x27 with freesync 2 for $649 and the lenovo legion Y27gq with gysnc 2 for $999.
Both monitors support hdr with the new freesync/gsync variants.
If I had a AMD graphics card I would buy the omen without a second thought, but since I am on Nvidia I want a monitor that supports gsync for variable overdrive but im not about to shell out 1k for the legion.

Then another notable option is the viewsonic xg270 which is a 240hz, tho only 1080p it is the first IPS panel at 240hz and the blur reduction strobing mode was customized by the blur busters chief. He said the blur reduction reaches crt levels of clarity when running reduction in 120hz mode.

If money is no object and you have a RTX card I would recommend the Legion
If you want to save some money and your have a AMD card then the omen is a perfect fit.
Realistically the omen should perform great with any card
One complaint I read about both the lenovo and the omen is that the anti glare coating is very aggressive and can be noticeable with bright whites on screen (ex. web pages)

Hopefully this was useful for you, I've been going down the monitor rabbit hole for several days trying to pick a winner or justify that lenovos pricetag

Thank you for the information.
Yeah I’m leaning towards the Lenovo, I saw it doesn’t hVmave ULMB, is that important? If ULMB is bacially the old “LightBoost”, I don’t care about that but still curious and also have you heard anytbing about ghosting with this monitor? Is it faster than 144Hz 1080p Monitor like I have now? Obviously I’m getting resolution upgrade and hertz, but I’m wondering if the monitor response time/input lag is better as well

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Dec 2019, 09:18

shedokan wrote:
15 Dec 2019, 02:39
Yeah I’m leaning towards the Lenovo, I saw it doesn’t hVmave ULMB, is that important? If ULMB is bacially the old “LightBoost”
It's similar, but newer sequels to LightBoost are generally better colors and quality. There's fewer compromises in some of them, like 120 Hz PureXP on the ViewSonic XG270 (240Hz 1ms IPS). That said, they do vary a lot across different models of displays.

That said, 240Hz 1440p has its pros too, if you can keep your framerates high despite 1440p.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

shedokan

Post by shedokan » 17 Dec 2019, 12:09

Have you heard about any ghosting with this monitor Chief? And do you think the upgrade in response time and smoothness will be noticeable coming from the good old BEnQ XL2411T 1ms 144Hz? Also are the TNs of today still have the same bad colors as old ones?