Question in regard to Framerate Monitor Refresh Rate

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Stitch7

Question in regard to Framerate Monitor Refresh Rate

Post by Stitch7 » 23 Dec 2019, 20:12

Hey Guys,
I've got a question for you.

When setting a framerate cap what are (if any) the benefits of setting your fps an exact multiple of your monitors refresh rate?

Long Story:

I'm on 60Hz for now and I will be until the 144Hz OLED releases.

I'm playing R6 at 120fps Overwatch at 180fps and Rocket League at 240fps.
In Rocket league the tearline is so low, it doesn't bother me.
However espescially in R6 the tearline was just above the center of the screen.
The tearline fluctuates just a bit, but that was so annoying. I was trying to set it lower, but I do not want to use RTSS for SS.
My question is, would it be fine to set my FPS in R6 to say 90 or 130?

I hope I did not confuse you too much with my weird wording,
thanks in advance

Cheers,
Stitch

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Question in regard to Framerate Monitor Refresh Rate

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Dec 2019, 17:53

It depends on what you are prioritizing:
- Tearline mechanics
- Stutter mechanics
- Sync technology
- Latency lowness
- Latency consistentness (less varying lag)
- Etc.

For example setting fps=Hz with VSYNC OFF has the advantage of reducing stutter BUT increasing visibility of stationary tearlines. The combination of VSYNC OFF (which makes tearlines appear) and framerate exact match (which amplifies visibility of tearlines) can sometimes be worse than the elimintation of microstutter. But it depends on whether you are more annoyed by tearlines or you are more annoyed by stutter.

Some gamers prefer better latency consistency. E.g. perfect 5ms lag is better than varying lag "3ms through 7ms" and easier to aim ... It depends on your priority.

If you want to let your framerate vary -- the best of all worlds is to use a variable refresh rate technology such as GSYNC or FreeSync, with a max Hz well above your max fps.
(A) Monitor with a VRR range bigger than your framerate range
(B) Just play with GSYNC or FreeSync enabled
(C) Latency stays low because framerate always below max Hz.

A 240Hz monitor is perfect for a 30fps-237fps range for example. The latency problems with VRR mainly only appears when framerates max-out at Hz.

Now if you are trying to keep latency consistent by capping your framerate... that improves latency consistency. And if you cap at a multiple of Hz, that can reduce stutters. Also capping at 2x Hz can be less lag than capping=Hz, though that can result in middle-of-screen stationary tearlines in some games.

If you prefer to make tearlines harder to see (and don't mind increased stutter), cap at a rather odd framerate, such as 235fps or 87fps or such. That will randomize the tearline locations (make tearline harder to see, since the harmonics / beat frequency disappears) but may increase microstuttering, especially if you are using strobed modes (ULMB, PureXP, ELMB, DyAc, VRB, etc).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Stitch7

Re: Question in regard to Framerate Monitor Refresh Rate

Post by Stitch7 » 25 Dec 2019, 08:56

Thank you very much Chief, it's like you're the teacher that actually cares about their students.