Problem with Asus PG27UQ

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
michaelklachko

Problem with Asus PG27UQ

Post by michaelklachko » 26 Dec 2019, 18:57

Hi, I just bought two Asus PG27UQ and I'm connecting them to my LG Gram 17 laptop through Thunderbolt to Razer CoreX with a 2060 Super card. I'd like to disable the laptop screen when I'm using the external monitors (because I want to close the lid on the laptop, and put it aside). The problem is - disabling the laptop screen in Windows affects the frame rate of the Asus monitors - scrolling and window movement becomes very jerky, almost like if there's a CPU or GPU overload. Task manager shows CPU at under 15% at all times. GPU also does not appear to be under stress (fans are normal). To clarify, disabling the laptop screen leads to scrolling behavior like what's you see when you try to scroll a pdf in Adobe Reader - it's not smooth regardless of the monitor frame rate. I wouldn't say it becomes blurry, just not smooth. Enabling the laptop screen (extending Windows desktop to it) immediately fixes the issue.

Both PG27UQ are running at 144Hz wth G-Sync and HDR disabled. But this also happens at 120Hz. Any ideas of what's going on there?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Problem with Asus PG27UQ

Post by RealNC » 03 Jan 2020, 07:10

This issue has been there for years now. Normally, you disable one screen and reboot. Not sure how that would work with a laptop though :-/
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

michaelklachko

Post by michaelklachko » 17 Jan 2020, 02:24

Can you please point me to any online discussions of this issue?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 17 Jan 2020, 17:17

michaelklachko wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 02:24
Can you please point me to any online discussions of this issue?
This is just another one. I've seen countless posts like yours in the past so I don't have anything specific to point to.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

michaelklachko

Post by michaelklachko » 17 Jan 2020, 18:08

Hm... Are you saying there are countless people who disable their laptop screens when using high refresh rate external monitors, and experience jerky window movements as a result? I'd think this would be a rather rare use case... I googled pretty hard and couldn't find anything similar to what I'm talking about.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 20 Jan 2020, 00:39

No, I mean people having sync issues when using more than one monitor with different Hz. Disconnecting the monitor with the low Hz and rebooting usually fixes it. But you're on a laptop so I don't know. You obviously can't disconnect a laptop screen and reboot.