Zen 2 (3000 series) and C-state framespikes

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Synoxia

Zen 2 (3000 series) and C-state framespikes

Post by Synoxia » 29 Dec 2019, 00:40

Hello, as you can gather from various reviews and tests, CPPC enabled in bios and C-states is the way to get the highest RAW performance from these processors.
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... ttings/14/
How about VRR and framespikes tho, is this recommendation still valid for 3000 series given that AMD says that they change powerstates like 1nanoseconds fast that you shouldn't bother...
Also, maybe Bitsum Highest power plan is an option too?

masneb

Re: Zen 2 (3000 series) and C-state framespikes

Post by masneb » 02 Jan 2020, 00:56

I turned it off, I run MSI AB and in heavily single threaded games like mobas (I play HotS) it actually made 1% and .1% frametime worse even though it was boosting properly and had the best synthetic scores. It added some sort of weird microstuttering or shutter effect to the FPS which didn't show up in AB. CPPC is how the cores are prioritized for loading, Windows doesn't seem to load them properly and in the end it just ends up hurting performance even in single threaded situations.

Until Windows scheduler gets improved (again) I don't think I'll be turning it back on.

I also use a manual per CCX OC instead of PBO, which also improved performance, but not by that much (once again in single threaded games). I haven't played anything heavily multithreaded in awhile. In multithreaded synthetics it was like 10% increase in performance.