Is Freesync on Nvidia broken?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
masneb

Is Freesync on Nvidia broken?

Post by masneb » 31 Dec 2019, 06:10

So a few months ago I was attempting to troubleshoot a really weird problem and went through a couple XF252Qs due to various reasons. This one still persists and I don't own a AMD video card so I can't test to see if this is happening on theirs as well or if this is just particularly this monitor.

Originally I showcased a clip of HotS showing weird behavior where the FPS was essentially locked around 60ish FPS in game due to it being on the menu and MSI AB confirming it. However the refreshrate monitor on the monitor will sometimes erratically shoot up ridiculously high and come back down. If this was the case MSI AB max frame time would capture that, it does not. Recently I decided to try the G-Sync pendelum demo because it's still be naging at me, low and behold it still has these 'sync losses', I have no other idea what to call them. I assume when the GPU skips a frame the monitor just duplicates the last and causes the monitor refresh to skyrocket.

Now if this is happening normally, without G-Sync of Freesync, this is a even bigger problem, however this definitely has visual evidence.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz78zdza5m13l ... 7.mp4?dl=0

Anyone else try locking their FPS and see if their monitor refresh follows suite?

Nector

Re: Is Freesync on Nvidia broken?

Post by Nector » 31 Dec 2019, 12:04

The XF252Q isn't gsync certified which means nvidia found issues with the adaptive sync implementation when testing it. Beyond that some monitors show something akin to instanaeous fps instead of average fps, so thats why the fps from the monitor and app dont match.

masneb

Re: Is Freesync on Nvidia broken?

Post by masneb » 31 Dec 2019, 22:42

Negatory. Lack of G-Sync certification can be because it was never tested or is in the process of currently being validated, not that it failed validation.

It's not about it not matching, rather it's about it showing much higher and weirdly rounded numbers, 120~ in the above, 240 in HotS. While running a frametime benchmark you'll never see the max FPS raise anywhere close to the displayed number. Why I'm asking other people to test this and see if it's unique to Freesync, this monitor, or Freesync on Nvidia.