Agon monitor + Nvidia + overdrive compatibility question

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Adventurethis

Agon monitor + Nvidia + overdrive compatibility question

Post by Adventurethis » 09 Jan 2020, 06:00

Hi

I am using an AOC Agon AG322QC4 31.5" Curved monitor and previously with a 5700xt everything was working perfectly , 5700xt died after 3 months (thats another story not sure if driver issues or just bad card) so for the time being I am using an old 1060 3gb GPU.

With the amount of problems I had with the 5700 xt i am considering grabbing a 2070s however I have some concerns.

With the 1060 it seems Overdrive does not work, right now i am mostly playing overwatch and sometimes i feel like overdrive is working a little, other times the ghosting is extremely obvious.

Is this a compatibility issue? Would I still have these problems with any Nvidia card..the ghosting is really bad sometimes so if there isnt a solution I may need to chance going back to AMD cards.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Q83Ia7ta

Re: Agon monitor + Nvidia + overdrive compatibility question

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 09 Jan 2020, 13:34

Overdrive is monitor's function. Only one thing from PC can affect overdrive and it's g-sync or freesync. Your monitor supports freesync. Just toggle it (enable and disable). You can check freesync status at monitor osd and see difference at https://www.testufo.com/ghosting#pps=1920

Adventurethis

Post by Adventurethis » 10 Jan 2020, 03:00

Thanks for the advice.

The overdrive works using that test as i can see the ghosting change as i switch between the different settings.

In game it doesnt seem to work, I'm guessing that either a setting on the monitor or nvidia control panel is causing it to not work once i enter in game - ill have to have a play around - im guessing it will be an option in the nvidia control panel as the overdrive only seems to disable in game

Adventurethis

Post by Adventurethis » 10 Jan 2020, 04:35

I dont have any amd driveres though so i would think freesync is automatically not an option.

Using the UFO test i can see that overdrive is definitely working.

However overdrive doesn't seem to be working in game (overwatch) It is only in game that overdrive doesnt seem to work.

Adventurethis

Post by Adventurethis » 10 Jan 2020, 09:18

Okay so i was able to get overdrive kinda working in game by dropping resolution, guessing that is something to do with keeping a constant fps?

New problem though..i tried gysnc and that disabled monittor overdrive completely - so i disabled gysnc and now i still cannot get overdrive to work even on the UFO test (where it did work previously)

should i just uninstall all nvidia drivers and start over?