Best monitor for competitive edge in GAMING? (small list inside)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Best monitor for competitive edge in GAMING? (small list inside)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Jan 2020, 15:52

Genadio wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 15:06
The announced Eve Spectrum is also quite an interesting option.

By the way, Chief Blur Buster, did you really write several posts on their forum? There is an assumption that all these pre-orders for the monitor may be a scam.
Yes, I wrote several posts there.

I am familiar with crowdfunding and its inherent risks. However, they have have (with the usual crowdfunder entrepreneur difficulty) finally shipped an actual computer hardware product. We do not comment on the relative success or customer satisfaction-ratios, except know that crowdfunding is simply an inherently risky affair. I also know what (real!) panel Eve is going to be sourcing for this specific gaming monitor initative.

Regardless of whether they ship or not:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Blur Busters "rising tide lifts all boats" policy is to volunteer the freely-available portion of Blur Busters information -- the non-NDA stuff we've already publicly published over the last decade -- to all monitor vendors (new or established) to help them improve the quality of their monitors.
If they ship, and I hope they will, then at least it'll be better because of our help. By having information, they're less likely to botch up the strobe-backlight portion of their project. Many monitor vendors have used our information to improve their gaming monitors. I've seen too much botched firmwares over the years. It is best that if they ship the monitor, that they have all the necessary information. There is much kudos to any manufacturer willing to avoid making mistakes with their strobe backlight programming.

Please note that for all crowdfunding initiatives, it is a "buy at your own risk". That said, I do support dozens of crowdfund project (with only 1 failure in my record; and a great patience for 3-month-late through 18-month-late shipments for various crowdfund sites I've supported). Delayed delivery is par for the course, so factor this accordingly in your decisions. Some projects fail and some projects succeed, and I've accepted that risk when I (give, send, offer, donate) money to a crowdfund initiative.

But that's beside the point. Blur Busters offers free information in a "rising tide lifts all boats", the same valuable freely available information and white-papers any manufacturer can obtain from us freely (before paying for our services). Since that monitor has a strobe backlight, I wamt to make sure that they have all the information necessary to make that portion good enough and tunable enough. While we are indeed very picky about Logo Certification, we freely volunteer various information (Strobe Backlight Hacking FAQ and dozen other documents) that can help a manufacturer avoid mistakes with blur reduction modes, etc.

All crowdfund initiatives (IndieGoGo or KickStarter or others like these) are inherent risks. It doesn't matter regardless of Eve or not -- The general advice applies; Do not buy from a crowdfund if you cannot tolerate risk of losing your money. However, if you understand the risks and wish to support / invest / contribute to a crowdfund initiative, go for it.

Crowdfunding is crowdfunding, risk is risk. That said, we're glad to offer the large trove of freely available portion of Blur Busters knowledge to make sure they have the information to engineer the strobe backlight properly. It is true that they still have to utilize/use any information we offer -- but I'm always very glad to provide generic publicly-available non-NDA information to any manufacturers, big and small. We have some of the best publicly available information, knowledge & tests about strobe backlights that aren't hiding behind paywalls or NDAs, stuff we've published since 2012 when our website used to be "scanningbacklight.com" before it was renamed Blur Busters.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Jan 2020, 15:59

Max_hz wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 14:28
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 12:51
Max_hz wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 11:30
I bought the X 25f two times and both suffered from pixel inversion (vertical lines) in game beside that
it's a nice and fast monitor.
Inversion artifact.

Inversion is a 100% normal invisible algorithm built into all LCDs.
It's supposed to be invisible most of the time but sometimes it isn't.
What you are seeing is an inversion artifact.

Do not confuse "inversion" (LCD-balancing method) with "inversion artifact" (occasionally visible side effect)
Thanks for correcting me Chief! I forgot the word "artifact" indeed (me noob) ;).
Back to the X 25f for me it wasn't occasionally.
I probably should write "The Inversion FAQ" sometime, eh?

That's certainly something I'll need to do. There's so much confusion about inversion / inversion artifacts.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MoniThor

Post by MoniThor » 01 Feb 2020, 06:54

Yes, indeed! The HP Omen X 25f looks great. Thanks for the feedback.

The articles I have found on Eve Spectrum says: (estimated) Q4 2020. The specs looks rock solid, on paper.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 15:59
I probably should write "The Inversion FAQ" sometime, eh?

That's certainly something I'll need to do. There's so much confusion about inversion / inversion artifacts.
Thanks Chief! +1 on this. :)
And thank you very much for everything you've done and still doing at BlurBusters.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 01 Feb 2020, 09:55

(estimated) Q4 2020 is just a... robbery

Max_hz

Post by Max_hz » 01 Feb 2020, 11:46

@MoniThor

Like I said the 2 Omens X 25f I tried before both suffered from inversion artifacts (vertical lines) when moving in game,
and that doesn't looks great, if you want to buy one be sure the shop provides a good return policy.
In use: Asus VG259QM IPS 240-280hz - Hanns-G HS233 TN 120hz
Used before: LG 24LG600 TN 144hz - HP Omen X 25f TN 240hz - ViewSonic XG2402 TN 144hz - Asus VG259Q IPS 144hz

MoniThor

Post by MoniThor » 02 Feb 2020, 06:09

Max_hz wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 11:46
@MoniThor

Like I said the 2 Omens X 25f I tried before both suffered from inversion artifacts (vertical lines) when moving in game,
and that doesn't looks great, if you want to buy one be sure the shop provides a good return policy.
Personally, I don't plan to buy that monitor.

sempronius

Post by sempronius » 03 Feb 2020, 14:15

MoniThor wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 09:03
BTRY B 529th FA BN wrote:
25 Jan 2020, 22:20
What's wrong with the HP Omenf? Seems to have the lowest input lag of 2.6ms
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests/inputs/input-lag
And a fast 5.3ms motion blur
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests/mo ... ponse-time
The lack of eye, -vision protection. For me, it is very important. On the official HP website I could not find data on that, correct me if Im wrong. Please.
The HP Omen X 25f does have a "low blue light" mode - easily usable via the software that automatically installs with the monitor: Omen Command Center.

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 04 Feb 2020, 00:12

camaoyba wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 09:51
ogchampion wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 07:23
BTRY B 529th FA BN wrote:
25 Jan 2020, 22:20
What's wrong with the HP Omenf? Seems to have the lowest input lag of 2.6ms
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests/inputs/input-lag
And a fast 5.3ms motion blur
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests/mo ... ponse-time

Nothing wrong with the Omen X25f. Best 240hz monitor I've had, and I've had a lot.
Could you share your settings?
Personally I've only set the monitor to the suggested settings from rtings and that's it.

hiroshimus

Post by hiroshimus » 04 Feb 2020, 19:01

So bottom line , if what I'm searching for is the absolute best monitor for competitive gaming, which should I buy?
I also only care about fastest reaction time for maximum competitive advantage.
I'd really appreciate some help here!

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 04 Feb 2020, 20:06

hiroshimus wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 19:01
So bottom line , if what I'm searching for is the absolute best monitor for competitive gaming, which should I buy?
I also only care about fastest reaction time for maximum competitive advantage.
I'd really appreciate some help here!
The new 360Hz monitor might be what you are looking for, although there are no reviews on it that I've personally seen. I'd look for rtings review on it and compare it to other reviews.

In my experience I only upgraded after years of use with a VG248QE so I'm very limited in that respect.

Not much help here, am I.

If you can find it on a deal like I did go for it. I think I found it for $340 at Best Buy, of all places. Yeah, I know, rip off store selling superb hardware and huge discounts :o