BENQ Zowie XL2746S Owners Thread

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Tom Clancy's E-sport

Re: BENQ Zowie XL2746S & XL2546S (*DISCONTINUED*) Owners Thread

Post by Tom Clancy's E-sport » 27 Jul 2020, 08:06

AddictFPS wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 20:20
For 16:9 aspect ratio, i think Samsung should release also flat 240Hz VA monitors, i would never buy curved screen, due to bad geometry. I guess i'm not the only one who thinks this.
Curved monitor is a bit better when the panel becomes larger. But it is true market stunt is 99%.
Last edited by Tom Clancy's E-sport on 14 May 2022, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

Conan

Post by Conan » 27 Jul 2020, 13:24

Dirty Scrubz wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 15:11
That's just another way of them saying it's discontinued. At least now we know it was because of a part shortage. So I don't think the "new" version will be any better, probably just a different panel that may or may not be as good as the XL2546S.
Or maybe slightly better o_O
Either way I think im gonna go xl27 route if its really what u say.

Tallerbane

Post by Tallerbane » 27 Jul 2020, 21:54

Conan wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 13:24
Dirty Scrubz wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 15:11
That's just another way of them saying it's discontinued. At least now we know it was because of a part shortage. So I don't think the "new" version will be any better, probably just a different panel that may or may not be as good as the XL2546S.
Or maybe slightly better o_O
Either way I think im gonna go xl27 route if its really what u say.
Sounds like the answer is simple. Wait. Wait to see if the new replacement is slightly better or slightly worse. Or perhaps more likely it'll be better in some aspects and worse in others.

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 28 Jul 2020, 19:16

Tom Clancy's E-sport wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 08:06
Curved monitor is better when it is becoming larger.
Yes, but is needed more screen size to exceed eyes FOV, and get complete surround effect. Screen boundaries should be beyond eye FOV. 32" is not bad, but far from needed. Place head very close to screen is bad for eyes health, to much eyes angle. VR headset is the right way to get the best sourround experience. Less space, weight, and portable.

But my main complain on curved screens is geometry. Current curved monitors only apply curve on horizontal axi, vertical is flat. This error result in distorted geometry, whit the most noticeable effect in corners, where a perfect circle in center of screen, is now oval when you see it in the corner, even if you sit in the optimal viewing position.

Tom Clancy's E-sport

Post by Tom Clancy's E-sport » 28 Jul 2020, 23:18

AddictFPS wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 19:16
Yes, but is needed more screen size to exceed eyes FOV, and get complete surround effect. Screen boundaries should be beyond eye FOV. 32" is not bad, but far from needed. Place head very close to screen is bad for eyes health, to much eyes angle. VR headset is the right way to get the best sourround experience. Less space, weight, and portable.

But my main complain on curved screens is geometry. Current curved monitors only apply curve on horizontal axi, vertical is flat. This error result in distorted geometry, whit the most noticeable effect in corners, where a perfect circle in center of screen, is now oval when you see it in the corner, even if you sit in the optimal viewing position.
I do compare the distance with others when staring at 24.5" Zowie monitors while gaming compectively.
This is an example of the typical distance in order to see:
As you can see, that's rather close to 30cm because you really need to be this close to see everything on 24''.

On the contrary, with 32" and 1440P, I can lay far back 50-60cm and still see everything in full details. I believe this way protects both my eyes and my back better.

As for the geometry, 1000R is not that bad. You won't bother noticing when gaming. And circle looks pretty much the same. Just remember human uses both eyes at different positions to perceive images.

So I have to say this: Zowie's advantage is superior backlight LED combined with the fastest panel. It is a matter of time for the panel to scale up.
Last edited by Tom Clancy's E-sport on 14 May 2022, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

IIISLIDEIII

Post by IIISLIDEIII » 30 Jul 2020, 19:09

hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, I've been following for some time without writing.
I need some advice, I was going to buy XL2746S for exclusive use on competitive fps but now I have a doubt because I see many pro players using a smaller 25 inch model?
but for what reason?
25 is better than 27?
I can not understand

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 31 Jul 2020, 06:14

28 Jul 2020, 23:18
AddictFPS wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 19:16

I do compare the distance with others when staring at 24.5" Zowie monitors while gaming compectively.
This is an example of the typical distance of me in order to see:
As you can see, that's rather close to 30cm because you really need to be this close to see everything on 24''.

On the contrary, with 32" and 1440P, I can lay far back 50-60cm and still see everything in full details. I believe this way protects both my eyes and my back better.

As for the geometry, 1000R is not bad at all. You won't bother noticing when gaming. And circle looks pretty much the same.Just remember human uses both eyes at different positions to perceive images.

So I have to say this: For now, Zowie's only advantage is backlight LED, every other aspect is beaten. And it is a matter of time someone else will bypass its patent to get the high brightness.
Regarding distance,

TL:DR, play with monitor distance. Don't be a creature of habit just because.

I had to read that a few times and was like is this Shaiiko?? :lol: Funny enough, I was playing around with this after reading some studies last few days. I do not pretend to be an eye expert however science here makes this topic pretty fascinating but subjective. I'll be exploring a bit. I have historically been an in your face monitor fragger. I'll try to circle back to the articles but close up, this is how I would send it. Incidentally last night, I moved my monitor back (Omen X 25F) and this does a pretty good job but won't be enough for those wanting a deep dive, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtDPOpGyOwU . One thing I have noticed for me personally (again, me personally) is Siege is an extremely mentally taxing game that can exhaust just about everything (just me maybe). Never seen or experienced a game like it. The eyes and detail especially, even aside of mental fatigue constantly working when dead on cams and what not is brutal. I'm typically good for a few hours of high level gameplay and that is legit all I am can mentally handle. (no problems admitting that.)

What I noticed before a shit storm of technical issues I had to work on last night with one horrifically trash game (but fun) with hands down the worst servers I have ever seen that has no right to call itself e-sports title, is moving the screen back definitely was a relief to my eyes.

What I have found myself doing is until competitive play, every single display I use had blue light filters on during the day. When its time to frag, I go back to a standard. I think this helps. Siege is my true love but I enjoy other titles and quite honestly people are paying to see me play others unfortunately so I do and still have loads of fun but while I was installing the game that has no reason to be as bad technically as it is in it's current state, I ran some TH on Siege. Man have I missed this game. In any case, with the monitors pushed back I'd say a good 6-8 inches (almost arms length) and brought down from center of screen at eye level to top of screen at eye level and angled appropriately it felt extremely good. I may need to go back even further or will at least try.

2 things to note. My reaction speed is around 132ms to 154ms on repeat. At work on HP233 monitors (lol) and laptops not made for this the absolute best I could manage 163ms average but we're talking HYPER zero'd and closer to 200 after 20 test. Anyway, I had been up since 5am as usual, worked an entire day, had to hustle with some content creation I was on a timeline to get out did an impromptu stream more of the meme type on the fly and of course even dealing with some insane issues in game (full on freezes in game every x amount of seconds) I had to troubleshoot that mess yada yada I knew I was getting tired. My reaction speed had slowed to around 163ms average on equipment that far exceeded what I was playing with at work. I recorded a few videos so I wouldn't forget the actual times and what was going on.

Short version is, I am freshest in the mornings no questions asked. I work to save the eyes via bluelight filters on any display I look at during the day not related to competition and finally, I am not sure my slower reaction time was fatigue from another 16 hour workday or the distance but Siege felt really, really good. TH Realistic was a run through no stop in Kafe and it seemed I took in details faster. Obviously didn't look like Beaulo's with pistol one taps but its worth exploring for me personally some more. I think I'll benefit.

This is already too long sorry, but I had lasic surgery done 2 years ago, I am 20/15 near and far. This could be completely wrong but as I understood it, everyone has a mental preference (genetic? I don't know) for the specific muscle used that is natural to focus the light coming in. I would say my experience is it is worth exploring that distance. Anxious to try some more today and will play before I go live for better or worse :). Moving a monitor is a huge deal to me. I am literally the guy that needs to be in that specific position so I can zone in and hit that flow state. Maybe its just that up close is my used too preference but after a period of time the eyes become fatigued thus the brain and it negates the preference due to natural preference or benefits. Maybe I am just getting old. There is also the FOV change to factor with the move though that did not seem to impact me but not enough data. Finally, eyes drops are an absolute routine of mine I never hear anyone talk about. This is legit a massive advantage you find that right one.

sosuyike

Post by sosuyike » 31 Jul 2020, 07:13

Am still in doubt if i should return the xl2546s monitor or not, i payed 440€ for it, this discontinued drama make even more in doubt i dont even use the Dyac, what would you guys do?

Conan

Post by Conan » 31 Jul 2020, 08:30

@sosuyike i'd return it. especially if you dont use dyac, i mean what the hell :)
return, and be patient.
440€ is a good price for it tho.
but still...i'd return it. i dont care when they say that customers wont be dissatisfied with the purchase. screw that.
one thing also i cancelled my order is colors accuracy on 25 version. hence i'm considering 27" but ill have to ask dirty scrubz or someone who has XL2746S, how would 1080p 27" monitor present lower resolutions such as 1440x900 or 1024x768 since i'm using those to reach the fps in certain games.

nexina7350

Post by nexina7350 » 31 Jul 2020, 20:51

I've decided to keep my XL2546S as it's a huge improvement over my XL2411. I prefer the 24.5" size with slightly worse colors as opposed to the 27" version with supposedly better colors, but I'm probably in the minority here.

Not to mention by the time the newer zowie model is available, I will have benefited from my XL2546S for at least 6 months, AND there might be some newer tech releasing in a few months by then also. At some point you have to pull the trigger if you want to enjoy life :)