BENQ Zowie XL2746S Owners Thread

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
HMaulwurf888

Re: BENQ Zowie XL2746S/XL2546S Owners Thread

Post by HMaulwurf888 » 16 Jun 2020, 11:24

My Zowie XL2546S should arrive tommorow (Germany) im switching from an EIZO FORIS FS2735 (144hz). If u have any questions or something to test...

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 16 Jun 2020, 12:28

Dirty Scrubz wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 19:34
With DyAc+ off it's even worse and with AMA off its worse. AMA has to be on high and Dyac+ on premium just to get this result.
phpBB [video]

Very usefull pursuit video Image Dirty Scrubz

There are micro stuttering :shock: The distance betwhen ufo decay image and the main ufo is constantly flipping left-right, decay image has excesively max. distance to main image for new generation "0.5ms" TN panel. If 100FPS is one frame each 10ms, how the hell whe are seing this long decay ufo ?

Smell like one strobing algoritm asynchronous, flasing backlight at different frequency that refreshrate, or intercaling random less intensity flashes to compensate pure single strobe brightness loss, or a mix of double strobe + crosstalk. Result is unbearable.

DyAc+ technology is very far from i expected at 100Hz strobed, at this frequency is uncomparable with CRT 100Hz, that show almost perfect motion performance.

When pause video with "Space" and go frame at frame forward-back with "." and "," keys, is easy see the issue. Maybe ApertureGrille or TFTCentral test DyAc+ soon, they show osciloscope captures of backlight behavior at differents frequencies. ApertureGrille with much more details and frequencies range.

BenQ should release a firmware fix. In modern AAA games maintain 182FPS sustained is not allways possible with high settings, Raytracing, high quality AA. Allow pure single strobe from 60 to max Hz is mandatory, and fix brightness loss using high end 1000cd/m2 strobing backlight.

Allow full strobing, overdrive and brightness control to user in OSD for custom strobe profiles. So strobe lenght, phase, 128 overdrive levels and backlight intensity can be tuned individualy for custom user strobe profiles. Temperature changes affect LCD response time, so can distort the results of default fixed firmware strobe timing. Is obvious that this default fixed timing can't be the same for all users, except if one temperature sensor is linked to firmware to apply timing changes on-the-fly. But control over backlight intensity during strobing is needed in order the user can find the sweet spot.

Dirty Scrubz

Post by Dirty Scrubz » 16 Jun 2020, 17:38

AddictFPS wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 12:28
Dirty Scrubz wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 19:34
With DyAc+ off it's even worse and with AMA off its worse. AMA has to be on high and Dyac+ on premium just to get this result.
phpBB [video]

Very usefull pursuit video Image Dirty Scrubz

There are micro stuttering :shock: The distance betwhen ufo decay image and the main ufo is constantly flipping left-right, decay image has excesively max. distance to main image for new generation "0.5ms" TN panel. If 100FPS is one frame each 10ms, how the hell whe are seing this long decay ufo ?

Smell like one strobing algoritm asynchronous, flasing backlight at different frequency that refreshrate, or intercaling random less intensity flashes to compensate pure single strobe brightness loss, or a mix of double strobe + crosstalk. Result is unbearable.

DyAc+ technology is very far from i expected at 100Hz strobed, at this frequency is uncomparable with CRT 100Hz, that show almost perfect motion performance.

When pause video with "Space" and go frame at frame forward-back with "." and "," keys, is easy see the issue. Maybe ApertureGrille or TFTCentral test DyAc+ soon, they show osciloscope captures of backlight behavior at differents frequencies. ApertureGrille with much more details and frequencies range.

BenQ should release a firmware fix. In modern AAA games maintain 182FPS sustained is not allways possible with high settings, Raytracing, high quality AA. Allow pure single strobe from 60 to max Hz is mandatory, and fix brightness loss using high end 1000cd/m2 strobing backlight.

Allow full strobing, overdrive and brightness control to user in OSD for custom strobe profiles. So strobe lenght, phase, 128 overdrive levels and backlight intensity can be tuned individualy for custom user strobe profiles. Temperature changes affect LCD response time, so can distort the results of default fixed firmware strobe timing. Is obvious that this default fixed timing can't be the same for all users, except if one temperature sensor is linked to firmware to apply timing changes on-the-fly. But control over backlight intensity during strobing is needed in order the user can find the sweet spot.
It works fine at 165 Hz so it’s not 182 FPS but yes I agree they should have made it work just as good at 100 Hz. Zowie did issue a new firmware (v002 vs mine which is v001) so I’m not sure if it addresses this or not. If it does then I’d have to send this unit to them and ask for a new one. Those that are now receiving their orders should have v002 firmware which they can check in the service menu. I also contacted someone on YouTube who has the new v002 firmware and asked him to join us here and run the same test.

EDIT: AddictFPS I just discovered something which should invalidate the video I took previously, I apologize for not figuring this out sooner. The tests I ran above were using Firefox so I decided today to do the same test with Google Chrome and it is much smoother. It appears the Blurbuster tests just do not run well on Firefox so I'd advise everyone to avoid using it when doing motion tests. I'll post a new video with 100 Hz using Chrome in a few minutes.

UPDATED VIDEO WITH MULTIPLE REFRESH RATES:
phpBB [video]

You still do get more ghosting at 100/120 Hz vs the higher refresh rates but in the center screen area it's tolerable. It's still not ideal IMO and you're better off running at least 144 Hz with this display but it's not as bad as Firefox was showing it to be. When I run the full screen BB crosstalk test using the BB utility, I can set Persistence to 1 and adjust the Crosstalk Area to around 10 (later strobe phase) and it looks fantastic for 240/185/165 Hz, good for 144 Hz and OK at 100 Hz. Custom VTs make some difference as well.

Dirty Scrubz

Post by Dirty Scrubz » 16 Jun 2020, 21:09

New video at 100 Hz with tweaks in the service menu and custom VT. I used the crosstalk fullscreen test to show the results:

phpBB [video]

Those of you who will soon be receiving your orders, please check your firmware version as the latest should be v002. If it is the new firmware, please do the same tests as me and report your results so we can compare if there's any differences.

Thanks.

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 16 Jun 2020, 23:09

Amazing uploads, you've made the best DyAc+ review available today :D

This is just what a gamer want know before buy. Not the machinegun picture of BenQ website. Tons of players ask, what DyAc+ improve over my current DyAc ? Your video solve the doubts, less crosstalk and no heavy brightness loss. And not only tested at max. frequency like monitor review webs do in strobe test section, so -> Good Work 8-)

I think corona (overshot artifact) increase progresively when reduce frequency because maybe AMA internaly apply always a fixed value "static overdrive", no matter what frequency is active. If that is right, result in perfectly optimized overdrive only for one frequency, normally the maximum "native" (there are exceptions like XG270 224Hz sweet spot), but artifacts appears when frequency goes down, and more exagerated if goes more down :(

Reduce frequency is good for strobing, increase time where hide GtG changes occurs, to avoid crosstalk. But unfortunately at the same time, GtG changes becomes slower, due to how LCD apply overdrive "kick pixel voltage at each refresh". 240Hz do 240 voltage-kick pixel updates per second, and this cause fast response time, don't let liquid crystal make to long micro sleeping :D 100Hz only kick 100, overdrive boost is less effective. And if overdrive has the same intensity, corona overshot is unavoidable.

Recently Chief explained me this very well in another thread. So reduce frequency during strobing needs unlocked overdrive control with hundreds of levels. But if player change frequency habitually to fit at the content framerate, change again and again betwhen hundreds of "maybe future availables" AMA levels with OSD is not practical. So Dinamic Overdrive managing automaticaly hundreds of levels should be mandatory in these high end gaming monitors, in order to run from 60 to 240Hz without overdrive artifacts.

This also apply for adaptive sync non strobed. Hope BenQ take note of this, and with new firmware, or future Zowie monitors, include dinamic overdrive. GSync module do it since years, but if BenQ want, can implement this feature also without add the module, and all GPU bands owners benefit from this improvement. I'm happy XL2746S and Viewsonic XG270 support the open VRR standard VESA Adaptive Sync.

Related to this, the new AOC AG273QZ, AUOptronics 27" TN flat panel QHD 240Hz "0.5ms", has adaptive sync, but surprisingly include dinamic overdrive ;) TFTCentral review show that, using the recommended "Medium" overdrive level, reducing frequency GtG increases like always in all LCD, but never show overshot artifacts ! :D This is the good way. Also there are a "Strong" level if players whant go beyond if corona not bother.

DyAc+ do a good job, your new pursuit video show that is very close to CRT motion feel. I think is a bit better than XG270 in the same 100Hz settings, a bit less crosstalk and more brightness, but decission is very personaly, TN viewing angles are not fun for general use, only show good image quality from static centered view.

AG273QZ also has strobe mode, and QHD is a big jump in precision and desktop native work area. If someone test the AOC, especialy if compare it with BenQ DyAc+, please share your conclusion !

Dirty Scrubz

Post by Dirty Scrubz » 16 Jun 2020, 23:47

Thanks, that AOC monitor could’ve been near perfect if it had better g2g times. The variable overdrive does seem like a very nice feature to have and I hope Zowie gets it at some point.

kofman13

Post by kofman13 » 17 Jun 2020, 08:13

so it seems like DYAC and this monitor is more hassle than i want for good performance across all FPS ranges... maybe ill just get the MSI ACER or ASUS Popular ones like mag 251, 259qm, and others

hkngo007

Post by hkngo007 » 17 Jun 2020, 09:25

What about non dyac+ videos? Any of those? Strobing hurts my eyes but keen to see non strobe performance.

kofman13

Post by kofman13 » 17 Jun 2020, 10:05

hkngo007 wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 09:25
What about non dyac+ videos? Any of those? Strobing hurts my eyes but keen to see non strobe performance.
this why im afraid to get the zowie, is there a point to get the new one if ur not gonna use dyac strobing? ( if it hurts my eyes). isnt the whole selling point dyac? will it be good as a good ips 240hz even without dyac?

PixelDuck87

Post by PixelDuck87 » 17 Jun 2020, 11:12

kofman13 wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 10:05
hkngo007 wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 09:25
this why im afraid to get the zowie, is there a point to get the new one if ur not gonna use dyac strobing? ( if it hurts my eyes). isnt the whole selling point dyac? will it be good as a good ips 240hz even without dyac?
As far as I know zowie monitors were never kings of g2g response or input lag (there were always faster and even cheaper monitors for that.
So in the case of XL2746s price mainly comes from Dyac+ and "hype". (just my opinion based on some observations)