blur test right? [TestUFO wrong refresh rate]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
grave00

blur test right? [TestUFO wrong refresh rate]

Post by grave00 » 14 Apr 2014, 02:18

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Edited Update:
See HOWTO: Fix "TestUFO Stuck at 60Hz" FAQ
I had finished OCing an X-Star recently and I've never been quite sure 100% it worked. The blur test seems to be saying I'm still at 60hz. It doesn't show higher than that in any browser and I've checked the hardware acceleration options.

Everything I look at says I'm at 120. Nvidia Control says it, monitor modes lists it in control panel and it's selected, COD4 game settings allow it. Fraps locks at 120 fps. So am I really 120? It's been awhile but I think I followed all Toasty's steps.

I've been a little skeptical since I don't really notice a difference on the desktop and COD4 despite what it says, doesn't look noticeably different to me.

I use a 560ti.

thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: blur test right?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Apr 2014, 03:51

Hello!

There are two separate issues at play here.

- For TestUFO motion tests (the popular motion blur test), it does not always report frame rates correctly if you run Windows in Classic mode. See www.testufo.com/browser.html for system requirements.

- For overclockable IPS 120Hz monitors, they only reduce motion blur marginally (by about 40%). Although you can get benefits at any framerates -- in order to gain the maximum motion blur reduction, make sure your framerate matches refresh rate (e.g. 120fps @ 120Hz). If your GPU cannot keep up, the QNIX panels have a sweet spot of 96Hz, so try creating a 96Hz mode and running your game at those frame rates. Also, a gaming mouse helps (1000Hz)

Hope this helps!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

grave00

Re: blur test right? [TestUFO wrong refresh rate]

Post by grave00 » 14 Apr 2014, 19:08

Hmm. I'm honestly not sure what you mean by classic mode and how it might affect the test. I meet all the requirements. I promise I wasn't lazy and tried to figure out in control panel/google what you might mean. Although, I'm pretty sure whatever it is I'm in the default mode. COD is set to 120hz and gets 120fps by fraps. I could check the internal COD fps I guess. I guess I could try 96 but I was more curious if the 120hz is lying to me somehow since the testufo isn't reporting 120 even though all else is.

The only real negative I've noticed is I'll infrequently get a phosphorescent looking think green horizonal line or 2 running near the middle. Flickers, doesn't last. Maybe a pixel in density.

thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: blur test right? [TestUFO wrong refresh rate]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Apr 2014, 11:21

grave00 wrote:Hmm. I'm honestly not sure what you mean by classic mode
This is what is meant: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/wind ... assic-view
TestUFO is very sensitive to certain display behaviors. When you load Google Chrome, open "chrome://gpu" and does it say everything is accelerated in "Graphics Feature Status"?
grave00 wrote:Although, I'm pretty sure whatever it is I'm in the default mode.
Then you're likely not using Classic mode.
grave00 wrote:COD is set to 120hz and gets 120fps by fraps. I could check the internal COD fps I guess. I guess I could try 96 but I was more curious if the 120hz is lying to me somehow since the testufo isn't reporting 120 even though all else is.
The issue is more with TestUFO running on certain system configurations and certain system settings. Many web browsers are updating their buffers at only 60 times per second on some configurations, and it usually requires changing a Windows setting or browser setting to solve a web browsers' inability to properly detect the refresh rate.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!