pg27uq vs xg27uq

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
michaelklachko

pg27uq vs xg27uq

Post by michaelklachko » 16 Jan 2020, 23:34

I have two Asus PG27UQ monitors running at 144hz. I use them for work - reading pdfs, browsing, coding. I have to say I'm not blown away by the smoothness of movement (scrolling, moving a window around, etc). I'm thinking about returning them, and waiting for XG27UQ models - https://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG-Strix ... sk_Manual/ - they have ELMB and I expect them to be roughly the same price as PG27UQ. Do you think ELMB will make a difference for looking at moving text?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: pg27uq vs xg27uq

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jan 2020, 23:48

Blur reduction makes a big difference in clarity of moving text. However, blur reduction modes varies a lot between monitors.

We have started a new Blur Buster Approved program for improving the quality of motion blur reduction in gaming monitors.

We have not currently tested these monitors -- but we wanted to make sure you are currently aware of the wide differences in motion blur reduction quality of blur-reduction modes in gaming monitors. Some of them are great and some of them have issues (color quality, strobe crosstalk, brightness, etc).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

michaelklachko

Post by michaelklachko » 17 Jan 2020, 02:11

Do you have any experience with Asus ELMB in any of their monitors? I also wonder if DSC can have any noticeable effect on moving text blurriness...

Anyway, I hope you get a chance to test these monitors, they are arguably the best high refresh rate 4k monitors currently.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jan 2020, 02:27

michaelklachko wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 02:11
Do you have any experience with Asus ELMB in any of their monitors? I also wonder if DSC can have any noticeable effect on moving text blurriness...
DSC -- Not a problem. DSC worries are exaggerated. For practially all computer use, it's lossless compression. Now, text is easier to compress fully losslessly than complex images. Throw out your preconceptions of DSC worry hype, it's pretty much harmless and is a Good Thing, especially in today's 10-bit world, where the Visually Lossless behavior is very easy achieve with decimination below human noise floor. It's ultra slight compression, much more slight than the least-compressed Digital Cinema video files. It's many orders of magnitude superior to the old 4:2:2 vs 4:4:4 stuff of yesteryear. Peeps, stop worrying about DSC.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

michaelklachko

Post by michaelklachko » 17 Jan 2020, 03:10

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 02:27
It's many orders of magnitude superior to the old 4:2:2 vs 4:4:4 stuff of yesteryear. Peeps, stop worrying about DSC./
I'm not worried about visual quality degradation, I'm worried about speed of compression/uncompression. Right now when I move the browser window around with a mouse - there's some slight jerkiness. No idea what's causing it, but I definitely don't want it to get worse.

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 17 Jan 2020, 13:25

Inevitably, DSC add Input-Lag, a bit at GPU compression, a bit at monitor decompression. So for gamers who worry about lag, is not a good option. But let's wait deep review to know exact input-lag numbers, DSC ON / DSC OFF, before think it can ve a serious lag.

Image degradation compared with the same uncompressed, i think that sould be good enough, except for color purists.

Moreover, you allways can set 4K 120Hz 8bits RGB Full-Range without DSC with one DP v1.4 connection, so not worry to much about DSC.

I'm very interested about single-strobing quality of this monitor using ELMB, and range of frecuency's are able to single-strobe. I would like this monitor can be a new BlurBuster Approved monitor. I have some bucks saved, to get the first 4K BlurBusters approved monitor.

If can single-strobe 100Hz without crosstalk, Wow, 4K precision with CRT motion speed quality, would be a serious monitor !

Perfect for scroll high DPI text fonts without moniton blur, great for work, reading, code, navigation, gaming.

Hope Asus as done a good work with ELMB.

We urgently need a deep review of this monitor, the world first 4K with Motion Blur Reduction !!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jan 2020, 13:31

AddictFPS wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 13:25
Moreover, you allways can set 4K 120Hz 8bits RGB Full-Range without DSC with one DP v1.4 connection, so not worry to much about DSC.
Except 4K 10bit DSC is visibly better looking than 4K 8bit non-DSC especially for gradients such as clouds, smoke, compression artifacts, banding, and other fine gradients.
AddictFPS wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 13:25
Inevitably, DSC add Input-Lag, a bit at GPU compression, a bit at monitor decompression. So for gamers who worry about lag, is not a good option. But let's wait deep review to know exact input-lag numbers, DSC ON / DSC OFF, before think it can ve a serious lag.
Too much worrying, IMO.

DSC is a linear stream compression that is only a single pixel row buffer equalling one horizontal scan rate. For a signal of 160KHz horizontal scan rate in Custom Resolution Utility (160,000 pixel rows per second), the latency of DSC at one end is 1/160,000sec. Even the temperature difference of 18 degrees C versus 20 C slows down an LCD pixel response (and thus lag) FAR MORE than this DSC overhead.

DisplayPort is a micro-packet technology. The DisplayPort micropacket buffer is actually BIGGER than this, usually consisting of a few pixel rows.

Hopefully, they don't half-ass the DSC chips. Making it 100x or 1000x slower than it should be. But I think NVIDIA did a steller job. GPU / FPGA / ASIC will have no problem with virtually lagless DSC. Chicken little agog-ing all over the Internet, while those in the know quietly chuckle.

TL;DR:
-- The lag difference between VGA-vs-DisplayPort (due to micropacketization) is much, much bigger than the lag difference between DP-nonDSC versus DP-DSC.
-- The lag difference between DP-nonDSC versus DP-DSC is much bigger than the lag difference between LCD panel at 18 degrees C temperature versus 20 degrees C temperature.

Theoretically, a future optimization is to set the DSC buffer size (DSC Technical Specifications) to equal the size of the mandatory DisplayPort micropacket buffer, and hit two birds with one stone with clever programming of the DP transceivers. Turning DSC into a darn near nigh lagless operation because you have to micropacket-buffer anyway. However, I don't think they've integrated that optimization yet, but this is a theoretical optimization they can do to hit two birds with one stone, reusing the same buffer at the chip level.

Yes, Chief Blur Buster says Milliseconds Matters. But I call it out here. We're dealing with microseconds. Mountains out of molehills.

Yes, agreed. Tests are needed.

/chuckles at the Internet

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 24 Apr 2020, 23:24

I think that from Nvidia and AMD GPU's side, no problem about DSC input lag, they use very fast processors. But it seems that is not true 100% lossless compression, there are a bit of loss, but overall is Ok no problem with this.

The doubts come with transport (cable quality and lenght) and monitor side error correction and decompresion. Is well known the disasters that for instance some shit scalers do, when should they do their job input lag free. GSync modules scale without lag, but some scalers in not GSync module monitors... surprise !

TFTCentral XG27UQ review

The main issue of this monitor is worst response times than PG27UQ, and the MBR implementation (ELMB) is absolutely atrocious. 900$ 4K 144Hz monitor, that strobing the OverDrive is locked, and very bad locked, because seems that is set at maximun, Overshot to the moon ! at level that nobody can imagine at this level of price. Garbage !

Definitely, current ASUS monitors ELMB tech need urgently BlurBusters help, WTF, someone think that this is acceptable to be launched to market ? Where are the quality control test ? Who tweaked OD in ELMB mode ? Who tested it before launch ? was under the influence of alcohol ? :lol:

Moreover, bright setting is also locked in strobe mode, with fixed ~200nits that is excesive for much people, and the "black frame" has unstable bright, i never see that behavior "jitter" on any strobing mode "Off state" tested in TFTCentral, sound like low quality backlight, or cheap voltage regulator, not touch 0v never :!:

XG27UQ strobing :shock:

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/as ... uq.htm#mbr
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/asu ... q/elmb.jpg

Winner of the worst MBR implementation ever see, congratulations ASUS ! my hopes of having a decent 4K monitor have suddenly vanished, this model is already in my purchases black list.

Last edited by AddictFPS on 02 May 2020, 10:04, edited 2 times in total.

michaelklachko

Post by michaelklachko » 01 May 2020, 03:45

Just read the review. What an epic fail. I had such high hopes for this monitor...

amezibra

Post by amezibra » 01 May 2020, 10:39

AddictFPS wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 23:24

TFTCentral XG27UQ review

I wonder why tftcentral never put any of the modern benq monitor in any of the comparison lists
just the old ones...