Suggestion to Rtings: Minimum Brightness Achievable

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
KKNDT

Suggestion to Rtings: Minimum Brightness Achievable

Post by KKNDT » 19 Jan 2020, 12:33

Sorry this maybe a little off topic here,,,

Rtings makes exlellent reviews. But they really need to add "MIN luminance" to their desktop monitors scores. This is extremely important for office use. Actually, as a desktop monitor, office use should always be a very big considration for design. "Gaming monitor" is not an excuse for lack of low luminance.

Since more and more monitor manufacturers (Yes, I'm referring to you ASUS, and your VG27AQ who gets a very high score from Rtings. Many friends of mine complains to me about its dazzling. Further, they question whether their scores are useful ?? ) begin their specs race. They throw most of the cost to what can be easily marked on the box (Color gammut, high refresh rate, 10 bit support, HDR,,, etc. ) which tend to make users empty their pockets easily. Plenty of people dont know what they really need to pay for.

A responsible manufacturer (such as EIZO and nVidia GSYNC) should always take care of users' actual experience and health even if users dont know the technical details ( Good overdrive, pre calibrating of MBR, flicker-free and low luminance, good SRGB mode for wcg backlights ,,, etc.)

For some reasons, I cant even register as a member of Rtings. Since Blurbusters has a very good relationship with Rtings, can anyone here take this to Rtings? Thank you.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Can anyone help to send a suggestion to Rtings?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Jan 2020, 16:15

KKNDT wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 12:33
But they really need to add "MIN luminance" to their desktop monitors scores.
We agree.

Some of us gets headaches even at 100 nits, and need to lower brightness to less than 50 nits.

Wider brightness range in a gaming monitor needs to be made available. Just because 1000nit HDR becomes available, doesn't mean we should mortgage the minimum luminance to hae gains to maximum luminance. There are those of us that needs the ability to lower brightness dramatically.

I will definitely send the suggestion along, and will probably make a 2020 media advisory (Blur Busters article) about the problem of giving flexibility to end users, and how tech advancement sometimes comes at a cost of certain features.

It may take a few months before we create that article advocating a "Minimum Luminance" (as one of the many monitor testing recommendations), but if we haven't created the aritlce by mid-2020, please bump this post up.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 20 Jan 2020, 11:37

+1

I think the monitor luminanced needs to be only a bit more that the room luminance, or the high contrast cause eye strain. For black text comfort, change backgrounds white 255-255-255 to gray around 240-240-240 is very recommended.

Hope also the future Rtings reviews has a more detailed Frequency's/BFI sections.

1) The range of frequency's with VRR-On BFI-On, but specifying the ranges allowed with single-strobe, double, triple, ... like Chief in this forum with VG32VQ ;)
2) The range of frequency's available with VRR-Off BFI-On, or fixed levels 85-100-120 like ULMB.
3) The range of frequency's available with VRR-On BFI-Off
4) The range of frequency's available with VRR-Off BFI-Off

And measure the exact frequency, sometimes apply 100Hz at Windows settings is not equal to 100Hz, there are 99,9xx Hz, and this could be a small random microstuttering problem, especially if fluctuates all time ?

At VG27AQ BFI section, sould be say that ELMB-Sync is faulty, because apply all time double strobing, that creates these low intensity double image at the left, that ruins the motion image quality. This IPS monitor has a decent BFI, Rtings logo is very focused. Shame that double image :( , would have been a good monitor, same at VG27BQ and VG32VQ :x

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/tuf-vg27aq
BFI Maximum Frequency 165 Hz
BFI Minimum Frequency 60 Hz

The ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ has a flicker-free backlight, which is great.

It also has an optional black frame insertion feature, and unlike almost every monitor our there, this feature is available at the same time as FreeSync. The setting that controls this feature is known as 'ELMB SYNC'.
OMG, only two lines about the new technology ? Nothing to say about the double image issue ? :shock:

People in some forums say that this is a crosstalk issue, and not, is double image, full-screen issue. But Rtings not say anithing about this aberration ? Moreover when this ELMB-Sync feature is in the magnifing glass of readers ! I find it weird, because there are professional experts. Could it be that they don't want Asus to get angry ? That would explain why they have launched a smoke grenade on this matter :|

60 minimum, but what is the minimun single-strobe range ? Of course at 60Hz apply double-strobing, and this effect can cause dizziness or eye strain if you see it continuously.
Last edited by AddictFPS on 20 Jan 2020, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.

Jason38

Post by Jason38 » 20 Jan 2020, 18:42

KKNDT wrote:
Sorry this maybe a little off topic here,,,

Rtings makes exlellent reviews. But they really need to add "MIN luminance" to their desktop monitors scores. This is extremely important for office use. Actually, as a desktop monitor, office use should always be a very big considration for design. "Gaming monitor" is not an excuse for lack of low luminance.

Since more and more monitor manufacturers (Yes, I'm referring to you ASUS, and your VG27AQ who gets a very high score from Rtings. Many friends of mine complains to me about its dazzling. Further, they question whether their scores are useful ?? ) begin their specs race. They throw most of the cost to what can be easily marked on the box (Color gammut, high refresh rate, 10 bit support, HDR,,, etc. ) which tend to make users empty their pockets easily. Plenty of people dont know what they really need to pay for.

A responsible manufacturer (such as EIZO and nVidia GSYNC) should always take care of users' actual experience and health even if users dont know the technical details ( Good overdrive, pre calibrating of MBR, flicker-free and low luminance, good SRGB mode for wcg backlights ,,, etc.)

For some reasons, I cant even register as a member of Rtings. Since Blurbusters has a very good relationship with Rtings, can anyone here take this to Rtings? Thank you.
I am one of those people that needs to work with a dim monitor. I totally agree that instead of always bragging about reaching 10000 nits monitors some of us need really dim screens just to function and especially for reading. I don't know why my eyes work this why but dim screens are what I need to be strain free.

Jason38

Post by Jason38 » 20 Jan 2020, 18:45

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 16:15
KKNDT wrote:
But they really need to add "MIN luminance" to their desktop monitors scores.
We agree.

Some of us gets headaches even at 100 nits, and need to lower brightness to less than 50 nits.

Wider brightness range in a gaming monitor needs to be made available. Just because 1000nit HDR becomes available, doesn't mean we should mortgage the minimum luminance to hae gains to maximum luminance. There are those of us that needs the ability to lower brightness dramatically.

I will definitely send the suggestion along, and will probably make a 2020 media advisory (Blur Busters article) about the problem of giving flexibility to end users, and how tech advancement sometimes comes at a cost of certain features.

It may take a few months before we create that article advocating a "Minimum Luminance" (as one of the many monitor testing recommendations), but if we haven't created the aritlce by mid-2020, please bump this post up.
I'm glad that there are people that see this as a potential concern for some people. I was kind of worried about HDR and achieving crazy levels of brightness. I'm not a fan of the Samsung curved gaming monitors because I think they are too bright even at the minimum brightness.

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 24 Jan 2020, 03:04

If any monitor has the minimum bright you need, one solution can be try a LCD screen filter:

https://www.amazon.com/VIUAUAX-inch-Dia ... NrPXRydWU=

Is designed for privacy, but as you can see at photo, seeing it at 0º angle also noticeably reduces the bright.

Anti-scratch, Anti-glare, and also reduces exposure at Blue Light, Ultra Violet Rays.

The problems are if can cause some "noise" (granulated texture like LCD coating very thick), and if can be perfectly adjusted to the screen visible size. And removable ! that can be put on and removed fast and easy.

Image Image

masneb

Post by masneb » 31 Jan 2020, 00:22

Agreed, learned a long time ago to turn down monitor brightness to minimum without ruining colors and closely matches the lighting brightness in the room. More then that causes eye fatigue and headaches, becomes a lot more apparent when doing long gaming sessions.

I do think some people that use blue light filters or flux just never spent time properly adjusting the brightness of their monitor so it isn't eye scorching. Flux just makes your monitor inherently dirty and lowers the brightness in and of itself. I've never needed to use a blue light filter, glasses, or flux.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion to Rtings: Minimum Brightness Achievable

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Jan 2020, 00:28

Neutral density filters can be used instead of privacy film too.

They are available in monitor size formats.

Here's an example of an ND sheet big enough to cover a 24" gaming monitor to reduce brightness by approximately 0.3 F-stop. There are also other filters (the large rectangle sheets, not the circular filters) if you need much more darkening.

If you don't need off-angle dimming (privacy) -- then neutral density sheets are MUCH cheaper than privacy filters -- costing only $10 to $15. However, they won't fit larger monitors or televisions.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 31 Jan 2020, 03:17

GPU driver can also be used to reduce bright ? i see a brightness slider inside Nvidia Control Panel.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Jan 2020, 03:24

AddictFPS wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 03:17
GPU driver can also be used to reduce bright ? i see a brightness slider inside Nvidia Control Panel.
Yes, it is an available workaround.
But manipulating via that means, severely decimates your digital color bit depth.

You will often see banding behaviours appear at www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php when you adjust NVIDIA Control Panel (Contrast / Brightness).

To preserve color gamut while decreasing your min luminance -- it is better to analog-decrease your brightness using a neutral density filter.