Best Monitors For Competitive Gaming?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Joji

Best Monitors For Competitive Gaming?

Post by Joji » 27 Jan 2020, 22:05

Hi guys, i was just browsing through the recommended monitors and saw that only 1 monitor was blur approved. So should i go for XG270 (Blur approved) or what else should i look into? I don't care about monitors over 1080p, i also don't want to go to such a low resolution because i want to also make videos and stream. Also if you can list some things related to specs to look out for while trying to find a good gaming monitor please let me know.

Thanks
Joji

Dirty Scrubz

Re: Best Monitors For Competitive Gaming?

Post by Dirty Scrubz » 28 Jan 2020, 05:15

No IPS monitor will be a contender for the best competitive gaming monitor, let's toss that notion out the window. Personally I think BenQ has the best one with the Zowie XL2746S and soon XL2546S. Very fast new generation panels with Zowie overvolted DyAc and they support VRR. Asus has a 360 Hz display in the pipeline but who knows how good it will be.

goa604

Post by goa604 » 28 Jan 2020, 08:16

Hey Dirty Scrubz isn't LG UltraGear 27GL850-B considered one of the best when it comes to motion clarity? Everything I read indicates it can be compared to a great gaming TN panel but with the advantages of an IPS. The model OP mentioned has blur Buster's certificate and I do not think they would give it if the monitor isn't among the best I would really love an input from legends of blur Buster's on it.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Jan 2020, 00:18

Dirty Scrubz wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 05:15
No IPS monitor will be a contender for the best competitive gaming monitor, let's toss that notion out the window.
Well, you'd be surprised how many laggy TN panels are used in esports. ;)

By all measures, the XG270 is surprisingly low lag -- I've seen average TN monitors with a few milliseconds more lag than the IPS ViewSonic XG270. By IPS standards, it's practically equal in latency to TN to within a millisecond margin, if you're concerned about latency-to-first-photon-visibility (GtG10% to GtG50%).

These newer IPS panels are quite noticeably faster than anything IPS before it -- by several times. Even staring at motion, the GtG definitely looks subjectively several times faster than the IPS 144Hz and 165Hz monitors I used in the past -- basically far closer to TN territory (and better than yesterday's TN territory).

There's also a shocking number of old TN panels still in use today, many of which are all laggier.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!