Some Questions

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
whiskiz

Some Questions

Post by whiskiz » 14 Feb 2020, 15:20

1 - If you have G-sync "enable for windowed and full screen mode" set to on (as it's apparently only a 3% - 5% performance hit for the joys of being able to alt+tab ingame) and apparently only one window at a time is able to utilize G-sync and you have multiple windows open - will your system always auto prioritize the game window for the G-sync while the rest do the revert to Desktop settings or whatever?

2 - How do we set custom refresh rates - Nvidia control panel seems to only choose between a couple specific rates with "preferred refresh rate" and the monitor display settings aren't all that exact either - but even if the monitor rates were fine, is there then a quicker/easier way to change refresh rate on the fly like the recommended RTSS software for limiting FPS? Without having to go: display settings, down to advanced display settings, to display adapter properties for display 1, to monitor? Especially when needing to readjust both before and after playing a game.

I currently have a widescreen 100hz (though only 95hz max option in settings smh) and for example when i go to play Factorio with a limit of 60fps, it'd be great to more easily switch between 95hz and 60hz and back etc.

3 - So the golden G-sync rule is to of course match fps/hz and the afore mentioned RTSS achieves this easily with a fps cap to not go over your specified refresh, but how do you deal with going under it? The dips in fps and general inconsistencies etc. Do you choose graphics settings for your GPU and game to overpower the fps output to refresh by say 30fps (i.e 95hz monitor, settings to produce on average 130fps with a limit of 92fps) to ensure more consistency? Because it would then seem a potential waste of some GPU and/or having to downgrade in settings some.

Am i missing something there?

4 - I just saw on a random Reddit post that apparently you don't need max monitor fps to take advantage of the max refresh rate. Does this mean lowering the hz/fps while still somehow benefiting from the max possible? (say 100fps/100hz setting on a 240hz monitor better than a 144hz monitor?)

-5 I'm looking to buy a new 1440p IPS monitor with a decent input lag still (4ms) is there anything better currently or soon than the 144hz/165hz? Not too worried about price.

Awesome site with some awesome info.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Some Questions

Post by RealNC » 17 Feb 2020, 11:01

1. The window that has focus is the one that gets gsynced.

2. Why do you want to switch refresh rates if you have gsync? Just use the highest refresh rate.

3. The "golden rule of gsync" it to use the highest Hz your display supports and cap your FPS to at most 3 below Hz, NOT match FPS and Hz. You can cap to whatever you want with an upper limit of -3. If your game runs at an average of 50FPS most of the time, then you can cap to 50. If it runs at 70, you can cap to 70. This is completely up to you. Different people do different things. I prefer the consistency of less FPS variance, others prefer getting the most FPS possible even if there's huge FPS variance.

4. Again: always use the highest Hz your display supports when using gsync.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

whiskiz

Post by whiskiz » 17 Feb 2020, 11:31

Thanks for the response:

"1. The window that has focus is the one that gets gsynced."

Ah that makes sense, cheers.

"2. Why do you want to switch refresh rates if you have gsync? Just use the highest refresh rate."

I gave an example - "I currently have a widescreen 100hz (though only 95hz max option in settings smh) and for example when i go to play Factorio with a limit of 60fps, it'd be great to more easily switch between 95hz and 60hz and back etc."

So basically if a game has an fps cap under what your setup can do, you need to downgrade refresh to keep the 1:1 fps/refresh best motion clarity ratio (yeah -3 fps technically) - and when adjusting the fps cap it's done via standalone software like RTSS so doing that is much easier. I was wondering if there's an equally easy option with changing refresh, instead of digging through all the monitor's display menus each time.

On a game like Factorio you probably aren't worried about max motion clarity but it was just a handy example - When needing to downgrade your refresh to match games' fps cap.

"3. The "golden rule of gsync" it to use the highest Hz your display supports and cap your FPS to at most 3 below Hz, NOT match FPS and Hz. You can cap to whatever you want with an upper limit of -3. If your game runs at an average of 50FPS most of the time, then you can cap to 50. If it runs at 70, you can cap to 70. This is completely up to you. Different people do different things. I prefer the consistency of less FPS variance, others prefer getting the most FPS possible even if there's huge FPS variance."

Ah so it's more a personal taste, either max fps/hz possible with some fps variance/dips, or less fps/hz cap but minimal variance. Hm.

"4. Again: always use the highest Hz your display supports when using gsync."

I meant for example if your setup can only output say 120fps so you set 117fps/120hz - is there a difference between doing that say on a 144hz monitor or a 240hz monitor?

I saw somewhere including on this site i think (awhile back) that the max potential hz makes a difference even if not utilized? I think it was Chief Blur Buster that said something about getting the best monitor with highest hz either way. Maybe not super important but technically does make a difference.

If those make sense. Thanks again.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 17 Feb 2020, 11:37

Always use the max refresh rate. How much FPS the game does, or if it's capped to 60 or 30 or whatever does not matter. Always use the highest Hz the monitor supports. There is no such thing as "matching FPS with Hz" when using g-sync. Matching fps and hz is only important when NOT using g-sync. (The prime reason g-sync was actually invented is to get rid of the need to match FPS with Hz.)

Usually, the best setup is highest Hz for games, 120Hz for the desktop. However, if you play in windowed mode (not recommended, gsync isn't that good in windowed mode) then you need to change the refresh rate. If you play true fullscreen, then you can set the refresh rate to 120Hz in the settings, but choose "highest available" in the nvidia 3D settings in "preferred refresh rate". Doing that will give you 120Hz on the desktop, but maximum Hz when starting a fullscreen game.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

whiskiz

Post by whiskiz » 17 Feb 2020, 13:24

Wait so G-sync auto adjusts refresh to fps, that's why you set fps -3 under max refresh? Ohhhhhhh

I did more indepth research on this but it was awhile ago (clearly haha) i must have forgot about that part even though i just went over the whole G-sync 101 again to refresh.

So then the question would be - say you're able to achieve 120fps on your setup, would there be a point to going from a 144hz monitor to a 240hz monitor?

Nevermind i found the answer from the post i was talking about from awhile ago:

"You definitely want to avoid skimpy VRR ranges like "40Hz-60Hz" and stick to wide ranges where possible, like "30Hz-144Hz" or "48Hz-240Hz". And if you want VRR at lowest lag, you definitely want a very high max-Hz. "30-240Hz" VRR displays will generally do 75fps with lower lag than "30-144Hz" displays due to the lower scanout latencies, for the same framerate-for-framerate, if lowest-lag VRR is important to you at any framerate"

Turns out it wasn't quite about motion blur.

Thanks heaps.