1080p 144hz

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Scriba
Posts: 19
Joined: 10 Dec 2019, 11:56

1080p 144hz

Post by Scriba » 20 Feb 2020, 10:36

I play a lot of Battleroyale games with unstable FPS and it's impossible to reach stable FPS over 144. I even have sometimes short drops to the 70-80 FPS range which results in micro stutters. Playing competitive is for me the most important factor (looking at you input delay). In some games I even play stretched resolution for bit more vertical FOV and better FPS.

I'm looking for a new monitor now and because of the unstable FPS I prefer a 144hz one with G-Sync. I read a lot of good things about the XN253QX which is 240hz, so I'm wondering if the XN253QP is as good.

For unstable FPS / FPS drops is there an advantage if the monitor have a G-Sync Module or would be G-Sync compatible enough and not worse?

I would love your suggestions for a good 1080p 144hz monitor. Thanks in advance!

Scriba
Posts: 19
Joined: 10 Dec 2019, 11:56

Re: 1080p 144hz

Post by Scriba » 24 Feb 2020, 02:57

If you need more informations, don't hesitate to ask me.

TwentyFoe
Posts: 74
Joined: 01 Apr 2014, 14:30

Re: 1080p 144hz

Post by TwentyFoe » 24 Feb 2020, 04:08

I honestly don't think you should limit yourself! Picking up a 144Hz nowadays just because you currently cannot get past 144 FPS is honestly a waste.
  • Your monitor will outlive your current build and stick with your for years to come, meaning that your PC hardware will see improvements and upgrades that will surely allow you to push the FPS further.
  • In-game optimizations and additional settings could be introduced in the near future, allowing you to push higher FPS.
  • New/other games that are not as FPS unstable and demanding as BR games (like CSGO) could pique your interest and you'd be able to push for ~240 FPS.
That's ultimately up to you, but that's my 2 cents; you're better off with 240Hz G-Sync.

Scriba
Posts: 19
Joined: 10 Dec 2019, 11:56

Re: 1080p 144hz

Post by Scriba » 24 Feb 2020, 06:03

Thanks for your suggestion.

So if I would take a 240Hz G-Sync monitor and looking for stable FPS (maybe set it around 120), I will have:

- less input lag with 240Hz BUT it will be for sure less smooth to play than let's say a native 120/144Hz monitor.

The other question I ask myself why get a 240Hz monitor if I can't reach high FPS in any game (future games even more demanding) and I only look for performance and smooth gameplay (competitive).

phixion
Posts: 48
Joined: 02 Nov 2014, 15:54

Re: 1080p 144hz

Post by phixion » 24 Feb 2020, 12:52

I had the XN253QP 144Hz monitor and it was great, only reason I returned was I couldn't get on with TN panel after many years of IPS use.
Acer Predator XN253QX 240Hz G-Sync

dadaw
Posts: 18
Joined: 01 Aug 2019, 12:00

Re: 1080p 144hz

Post by dadaw » 24 Feb 2020, 17:07

What did you get instead of the xn253 phixion?

I'm thinking about some IPS 144hz
XB273QX , Benq 2K 60hz , 8600K @ 5gHZ, 1080Ti , 2x8Gb 3200mhz CL14, Aorus Master Z390

User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 8348
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44
Location: Toronto / Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: 1080p 144hz

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Feb 2020, 18:10

Scriba wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 06:03
So if I would take a 240Hz G-Sync monitor and looking for stable FPS (maybe set it around 120), I will have:

- less input lag with 240Hz BUT it will be for sure less smooth to play than let's say a native 120/144Hz monitor.
Good news: That's not true -- it will be smoother even for fixed-Hz

For fixed-Hz 240Hz, a random frame rate -- 77fps at 240Hz is smoother than 77fps at 144Hz, because your maximum microstutter-amplitude is 4.2ms (1/240sec stutter error margin) compared to 6.9ms (1/144sec stutter error margin). Pick any odd (non-divisor) frame rate, like 83fps or 55fps or whatever -- the maximum stutter amplitude induced by refresh rate, on a fixed-Hz display is defined by the granularity (interval) between refresh cycles.

That is how the stutter mathematics work out, for framerate-mismatch-refreshrate stutters.

There's also beat-frequency and harmonic stuttering too (e.g. 143fps at 144Hz = 1 big stutter per second) but that's a different topic than the worst stutter deviation (the stutter amplitude -- how far a stutter jumps in distance -- the motion error margin), which is always smaller at higher refresh rates than lower refresh rates. A 60fps framedrop stuter is half stutter-amplitude during 60-59-60fps@240Hz fixed-Hz than 60-59-60fps@120Hz fixed-Hz.

Now, if you enable VRR, you eliminate stutters. And all refresh cycles scan out in 1/240sec. Enabling GSYNC can make aiming easier in certain stuttery games such as PUBG. That is one of the games (unlike CS:GO) where aiming noticeably improves with 240Hz GSYNC, since the VRR range is much bigger than frame rate range (which is WHAT you want).

VRR looks like www.testufo.com/vrr -- It erases single-framedrop stutters. And VRR is much less laggy. 77fps@240Hz GSYNC and 77fps@144Hz GSYNC looks like perfect 77fps@77Hz. Except the 240Hz one will be less laggy.

There are certain considerations like ghosting, so if you want really good quality VRR, I would highly recommend G-SYNC Native or an NVIDIA-certified FreeSync (G-SYNC Compatible). There ARE monitors that has worse ghosting for 120fps@240Hz than 120fps@144Hz, but this is not a rule of thumb.

If you are looking at 1080p, consider the various 240Hz+ 1ms IPS options.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

phixion
Posts: 48
Joined: 02 Nov 2014, 15:54

Re: 1080p 144hz

Post by phixion » 24 Feb 2020, 20:14

dadaw wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 17:07
What did you get instead of the xn253 phixion?

I'm thinking about some IPS 144hz
I’m waiting on the new 1080p Acer Predator IPS G-Sync compatible monitor to release. 144Hz one is out right now.

https://uk-store.acer.com/acer-xb3-gami ... 3qgp-black
Acer Predator XN253QX 240Hz G-Sync

Scriba
Posts: 19
Joined: 10 Dec 2019, 11:56

Re: 1080p 144hz

Post by Scriba » 25 Feb 2020, 05:03

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 18:10
Scriba wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 06:03
So if I would take a 240Hz G-Sync monitor and looking for stable FPS (maybe set it around 120), I will have:

- less input lag with 240Hz BUT it will be for sure less smooth to play than let's say a native 120/144Hz monitor.
Good news: That's not true -- it will be smoother even for fixed-Hz
Thanks Chief, your reply was really helpful!

I was never considering that 240Hz would be better for my desire. Actually I was scared off mainly because of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4914

As I can't sustain steady 220fps-240fps I need to set my fps to something like ~120-140 and I will still have drops repeatedly below that. I see now with your explanation that 240Hz still have it's advantages in this case. But the overdrive seems not that good on fps drops with 240Hz in comparsion to 144Hz and mostly only g-sync module monitors have variable overdrives - g-sync compatible mostly not.

So I'm asking myself if the advantages of a 240Hz monitor are enough and outdo the disadvantages (ghosting) when I limiting my monitor alwasy to a FPS range to like 120-140. On the other side 240Hz monitors are more expensive, with g-sync module (variable overdrive) even more.

Scriba
Posts: 19
Joined: 10 Dec 2019, 11:56

Re: 1080p 144hz

Post by Scriba » 25 Feb 2020, 05:12

phixion wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 20:14
dadaw wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 17:07
What did you get instead of the xn253 phixion?

I'm thinking about some IPS 144hz
I’m waiting on the new 1080p Acer Predator IPS G-Sync compatible monitor to release. 144Hz one is out right now.

https://uk-store.acer.com/acer-xb3-gami ... 3qgp-black
As Chief suggested I consider aswell the 1ms IPS options because I looking at 1080p.

The various models of acer seems odd to me. Your posted monitor (Acer Predator XB253QGP) is a IPS panel (1080p, 24.5) with 144Hz and have a 2ms GtG response rate. On the other side they released their new Nitro XV3 line which are aswell IPS panels (1080p, 24.5) with 144 or 240Hz but 1ms GtG response rate:

https://blurbusters.com/acers-nitro-xv3 ... or-gaming/

Both are G-Sync Compatible. So in fact I will look out for the better input lag I guess (acer predator vs nitro)?

Post Reply