Eye strain problem

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
WMMW

Eye strain problem

Post by WMMW » 20 Feb 2020, 13:23

Hello, I bought AOC CQ32G1 monitor (32", VA, QHD, 144HZ), after a few months of using it I sold it because of strain on my eyes. I bought a smaller monitor: BenQ XL2411P (24", TN, FullHD, 144HZ) and I still experience strain on my eyes when using it. When I switch to my old monitor: Asus VS229HV (21.5", IPS, FullHD, 60HZ) my eyes hurt a lot less. Im thinking of returning the BenQ monitor and maybe buying a 144HZ IPS from Asus (60HZ feels like slow motion now). I dont know if it would help or not. Anybody here has any recommendations on what to do? I wonder if anyone else had this problem before.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Eye strain problem

Post by RealNC » 20 Feb 2020, 13:40

Brightness issue? Is the old monitor configured with a different brightness perhaps? Set them both up next to each other and try to set the brightness of the new one to match the old one.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

sempronius

Post by sempronius » 20 Feb 2020, 13:41

I currently experience eye strain using my LG 27GL850. I am surprised, most people do not report any such issues. I also had eye strain with the Dell S2719DGF and the AOC C24G1 and AOC 24G2U, whilst there is zero eye strain with a Viewsonic XG240R or an HP Omen X 25f. I cannot find out what the reason for these problems is.

WMMW

Post by WMMW » 21 Feb 2020, 07:04

RealNC wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 13:40
Brightness issue? Is the old monitor configured with a different brightness perhaps? Set them both up next to each other and try to set the brightness of the new one to match the old one.
I set their brightness and contrast to very very similar levels. The brightness of white colors on the XL2411P is still way too high but I cant seem to fix it. I think my eyes just like Asus's IPS monitors. I will try tweaking the options of the XL2411P, I dont really care about the colors because I only use it for gaming (like CSGO type of gaming).

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 21 Feb 2020, 08:02

WMMW wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 07:04
I set their brightness and contrast to very very similar levels. The brightness of white colors on the XL2411P is still way too high but I cant seem to fix it. I think my eyes just like Asus's IPS monitors. I will try tweaking the options of the XL2411P, I dont really care about the colors because I only use it for gaming (like CSGO type of gaming).
Could be a color temperature difference. See if the monitor has a setting for choosing between 6500K and 7000K. (Or "warm" and "cold".)

If it doesn't, then try reducing the blue value in the RGB color settings of the monitor. You might also need to reduce green a tiny bit as well. You need to go by eye here to try and match the white to your old monitor.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

GalmOne

Post by GalmOne » 27 Feb 2020, 12:32

I can confirm that setting a different color temperature helped my wife deal with high resolution screens! If this doesn't do the trick, there are glasses dedicated to screens that you can buy, and these are useful to cope with that as well.

nixon

Post by nixon » 10 Mar 2020, 05:28

sempronius wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 13:41
I currently experience eye strain using my LG 27GL850. I am surprised, most people do not report any such issues. I also had eye strain with the Dell S2719DGF and the AOC C24G1 and AOC 24G2U, whilst there is zero eye strain with a Viewsonic XG240R or an HP Omen X 25f. I cannot find out what the reason for these problems is.
How does the XG240R compare to the XG2402?

xenphor

Post by xenphor » 10 Mar 2020, 16:35

Nvidia has a digital vibrancy setting that is supposed to reduce eyestrain. I reduced it to 47% since I noticed strain coming from a cheap Asus IPS to an AOC 24G2. Part of the issue is I used limited range RGB while on HDMI, because I really don't like the huge contrast that comes from full range RGB, even if it's supposed to be more correct. Now that I have to use Display Port for freesync support, the limited range option doesn't appear to do anything, so I'm stuck with full range.

life_at_1ms

Post by life_at_1ms » 11 Mar 2020, 08:35

Important topic because any top end displays that create any extra eye strain are achieving their "performance" rating unfairly, I'd say.

xenphor

Post by xenphor » 11 Mar 2020, 20:26

Yeah after spending all day at work looking at regular cheap monitors I just came home and immediately the AOC 24G2 is giving me a headache. It has this weird cloudy sheen that makes it hard to look at. I turned the contrast way down, the brightness is at 5, and digital vibrancy at 47%. I've also messed with the different color profiles which haven't seemed to make a difference. This really sucks because having Freesync was amazing, but if I can't even look at the monitor I'll have to return it.

edit: Seems other people are having similar issues after looking it up, so I'll probably have to return it. Is there a way I can avoid this problem in the future? Is it a case of cutting corners to get an IPS panel? I'm wondering if I would be okay with a good TN panel instead. I definitely don't care about color accuracy but having the colors shift might be annoying.