upgrading from asus vg248QE to 240hz monitor, competitive fps gamer questions!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
alexander1986

upgrading from asus vg248QE to 240hz monitor, competitive fps gamer questions!

Post by alexander1986 » 29 Feb 2020, 22:04

so im still using asus 248QE monitor that I got back in 2012 or something and am very happy with it to this day, mostly playing games like fortnite on 120hz / lightboost enabled with 10% lightboost strobing brightness / 120 fps ingame limiter, tested 240 fps ingame limiter and also tested scanline sync 120hz/120 fps with lightboost via RTSS and all of these 3 setting combinations feel really good,

for me I am much more sensitive to ghosting and motion blur vs tearing, but input lag is also important to me, anyway now I want to upgrade to a 240 hz monitor and have a few questions, after looking at many many reviews and reading for hours about different 240hz monitors im very interested in getting either the asus pg258q or the zowie xl2546, although there seems to be many other good 240hz monitors too from acer, alienware etc, but my questions for now are as follows:

1. does using gsync or freesync at 240hz/237 framerate cap for example, actually reduce motion blur/ghosting compared to just using the same 240 hz monitor at 240 fps without vsync/gsync/freesync ? or is the *only* benefit that it eliminates tearing and stuttering so to speak ? is it likely that someone like me who is very sensitive to motion blur and ghosting would be happy with how fast paced fps games look and feel at 237 fps / 240 hz gsync on with no strobing enabled, vs 144hz/240 hz strobing enabled but without gsync?

2. do you think I would notice any improvement at all when using the asus pg258q at 144hz ULMB ON / 144 fps vs my current vg248QE with 120 hz lightboost ON / 120 fps ? besides the extra 24hz refresh rate benefit?

3. how does the xl2546 monitor behave when the framerate drops under 240 fps for example in terms of stuttering and so on ? since it does not have gsync or freesync, is there major stutter and so on or "bad/heavy mouse input feeling" whenever the framerate drops under 240 fps on this monitor when dyac is enabled? on my 248QE monitor for example it feels quite bad when the fps drops under 120 fps or under 240 fps depending on what fps limit im using, but as long as the framerate is steady it looks and feels amazing.

and 4. last question for now, what 24-25" 240hz monitor that supports either freesync or gsync, and also supports strobing/blur reduction would you purchase as of today if you had to make a choice, and why? if someone has tested several different monitors that would help a lot to hear your personal feedback and experience and so on, do you think its a bad idea to buy what would be a "old" 240hz monitor today in the case of the pg258Q ? currently im leaning towards getting this monitor and using it for fortnite with ulmb on at 144 hz / 144 fps but would also test 237 fps/240 hz gsync on to see how that feels in comparison, just worried that its a lot more blurry than the 144hz/ulmb on configuration , but maybe its worth it overall with the higher hz and no tearing/stutters with gsync?

should I get some other monitor instead? hopefully my post isnt too messy and makes some sense :D appreciate any feedback from anyone that has or has had one of these monitors , or any other 240hz 24-25" monitor and plays fast FPS games and also really hates motion blur, and can compare strobed without gsync vs nonstrobed with gsync configurations and so on in these scenarios, does the higher refreshrate/lower input lag at 240hz and no strobing outweigh the higher motion clarity at 144hz with ULMB for example? and so on, in your opinion and experience,

thanks and cheers for now and sorry for the somewhat messy post I guess, cheers!