so with reviews out, is asus vg279QM now the best gaming monitor available?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
alexander1986

so with reviews out, is asus vg279QM now the best gaming monitor available?

Post by alexander1986 » 06 Mar 2020, 06:58

tftcentral review is now available for everyone:

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/as ... g279qm.htm

from what I can gather of the review it seems very good and clearly better choice than any TN 240hz panel just because of the superior colors/picture quality vs TN panels, and considering it has actual total input lag / G2G response times fully on par with even some popular 240hz TN monitors like the Asus pg258Q and Acer XF252Q for example, and virtually zero or minimal overshoot that can be noticed in practice,

plus 280hz and strobing at same time as VRR and it actually seems to work well in their review at least (with manual OD setting necessary depending on your typical range of framerate in the game you play / quality settings, more on that below)

some of their results:

Detailed response time / overshoot error Measurements at overclocked 280Hz, Over Drive 80:

and even beating them in total display lag when considering signal processing?:

considering it also is gsync and freesync compatible, and can strobe up to 280hz at the same time as VRR is enabled, all this while doing a decent job at it too, only "problem" is that it seems recommended to adjust overdrive manually if using this ELMB-sync, since there is no automatic variable overdrive like the native g-sync module has built-in, but of course native gsync monitors do not support strobing over 144 hz at this point in time nor do they support strobing with VRR enabled either,

tftcentral seem to conclude that setting the overdrive to 80 is the best choice if your framerate will be in the 200-280 hz/fps range when using VRR and strobing at the same time on this monitor, and 60 if in the 120-200hz/fps range, and finally 40 if in the 60-120hz/fps range in the game and/or at the quality settings you choose to play at the time,

am I right in thinking that this monitor kind of looks like the best choice on the market right now for any gamer? there is also a 25" version of the same monitor which should be the vg259QM, if you want a bit sharper picture, but i'm thinking that maybe the larger targets could also benefit aiming in competitive FPS games and so on with the 27" version, even if its less sharp?

I was kind of ready to order either acer XN253QX or acer XF252Q after a lot of time spent reading reviews and comparisons and user reviews/feedback, but now this monitor or the 25" version of it seems like the best choice out there and im leaning towards this monitor instead :D what do you guys think and did anyone test it ?

dqniel

Re: so with reviews out, is asus vg279QM now the best gaming monitor available?

Post by dqniel » 11 Mar 2020, 15:37

I read that review but I couldn't find details on their input lag testing:

Is there input lag chart only for @280hz with no syncing or strobing? I'm curious to know if the input lag differs when doing:

-strobing but no VRR
-strobing with VRR
-no strobing and VRR

I'm considering this monitor for Apex, a game in which I plan to see around 140-200fps when playing at 1080p and low settings using a 1080 Ti. I'm wondering if it might be the perfect monitor if the input lag stays low even when using, say:

-strobing + VRR + overdrive 60 with the framerate capped at 200fps so there's not *too* much frame variation.

sk1p

Post by sk1p » 21 Mar 2020, 02:02

Hi!

Registered there to answer you. (English is not my native)

I bought Asus VG279QM for CS GO and already using for two weeks. And I like it, but not without drawbacks.

I had before many TN 240hz panels: Benq Zowie XL2540, Alienware AW2518HF, LG 27GK750F, Asus Nitro XF252QX.

All of them I returned to the shop because of input lag, I had before them Asus VG248QE(144hz, TN) and this one was faster then all of these TN panels and I can play better with VG248QE. I like most XF252QX - input lag(3.3 ms regarding to tftcentral) was near VG248QE, but VG248QE faster.

What I can say about Asus VG279QM: yes, colors better than VG248qe, but I like also colors with XF252QX and it interesting for me to compare them in real life, but I don't have XF252QX , returned to shop in August. View angles weren't problem for me on TN because I sit in front of a monitor, but VG279QM has IPS view anlges and it's good ! )

About 27 and FullHD: yep,I see a little bit of "corn" while reading text, but this is not problem for me, there are no problems in games with it, but I would recommend to take Asus VG259QM better(the same panel, but 24.5 variant for FullHD which is more optimal to my opinion).

About input lag: VG279QM has 2.3ms input lag regarding to tftcentral and I can play good with it in CS GO ! As good as with Asus vg248qe and sometimes better, but one thing I want to note: I didn't know before that with Geforce videocards it's better to set scaling on Display in Nvidia settings, before I always used scaling on GPU( also my VG248QE didn't have display variant, only GPU), with scaling on display you have lower input lag than on GPU. I didn't check this moment with 240hz TN panels and probably I could play well with it, but as I said didn't know that before and was using GPU scaling. Also VG279QM has 2.3ms against 3.3ms of XF252QX, in theory VG279QM should be faster.

About response time: 3.6ms regarding to tftcentral with 240hz and 80 overdrive mode, but I am using 240hz and 60 OD(default setting) - seems to me better in CS GO, also tft recommends to use stock 240hz without overclocking to 280hz. So with 240hz and 60 OD you have 5.1ms response time regarding to tftcentral and I can play with it very well in CS GO, it's hard to notice a difference between the fastest XF252QX(with 2.6ms) and VG279QM.

One strange thing I want to note that I can see better smoothness of 240hz on TN, but on IPS it seems like 144hz, but I checked 144hz mode and smoothness more on 240hz(like it should be). Subjectively, but it seems smoothness of 240hz more noticable on TN, but I don't know exactly)) For me main that I can play good with VG279QM in CS GO, before I could not do it with TN 240 panels.(like with my previous Asus vg248qe)

And also I don't see cross-hatching effect there, before I saw it with all TN panels. Also there is no ghosting effect.

So my conclusion that Asus VG279QM best 240hz panel which I ever used.

Good luck! )

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 21 Mar 2020, 17:21

sk1p wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 02:02
Hi!

I bought Asus VG279QM for CS GO and already using for two weeks. And I like it, but not without drawbacks.

I had before many TN 240hz panels: Benq Zowie XL2540, Alienware AW2518HF, LG 27GK750F, Asus Nitro XF252QX.

All of them I returned to the shop because of input lag, I had before them Asus VG248QE(144hz, TN) and this one was faster then all of these TN panels and I can play better with VG248QE. I like most XF252QX - input lag(3.3 ms regarding to tftcentral) was near VG248QE, but VG248QE faster.

What I can say about Asus VG279QM: yes, colors better than VG248qe, but I like also colors with XF252QX and it interesting for me to compare them in real life, but I don't have XF252QX , returned to shop in August. View angles weren't problem for me on TN because I sit in front of a monitor, but VG279QM has IPS view anlges and it's good ! )

About 27 and FullHD: yep,I see a little bit of "corn" while reading text, but this is not problem for me, there are no problems in games with it, but I would recommend to take Asus VG259QM better(the same panel, but 24.5 variant for FullHD which is more optimal to my opinion).

About input lag: VG279QM has 2.3ms input lag regarding to tftcentral and I can play good with it in CS GO ! As good as with Asus vg248qe and sometimes better, but one thing I want to note: I didn't know before that with Geforce videocards it's better to set scaling on Display in Nvidia settings, before I always used scaling on GPU( also my VG248QE didn't have display variant, only GPU), with scaling on display you have lower input lag than on GPU. I didn't check this moment with 240hz TN panels and probably I could play well with it, but as I said didn't know that before and was using GPU scaling. Also VG279QM has 2.3ms against 3.3ms of XF252QX, in theory VG279QM should be faster.

About response time: 3.6ms regarding to tftcentral with 240hz and 80 overdrive mode, but I am using 240hz and 60 OD(default setting) - seems to me better in CS GO, also tft recommends to use stock 240hz without overclocking to 280hz. So with 240hz and 60 OD you have 5.1ms response time regarding to tftcentral and I can play with it very well in CS GO, it's hard to notice a difference between the fastest XF252QX(with 2.6ms) and VG279QM.

One strange thing I want to note that I can see better smoothness of 240hz on TN, but on IPS it seems like 144hz, but I checked 144hz mode and smoothness more on 240hz(like it should be). Subjectively, but it seems smoothness of 240hz more noticable on TN, but I don't know exactly)) For me main that I can play good with VG279QM in CS GO, before I could not do it with TN 240 panels.(like with my previous Asus vg248qe)

And also I don't see cross-hatching effect there, before I saw it with all TN panels. Also there is no ghosting effect.

Good luck! )

hello, thanks a lot for the detailed answer ! : )

its interesting that you find this monitor better than for example xl2540 in CS go hmm very interesting! but maybe not so strange since xl2540 is older generation panel compared to new TN 240hz "0.5ms" panels, still interesting !

actually I also have asus vg248QE now for almost 8 years since 2013 or 2012 is when I bought it lol, but I still love it today, very solid monitor overall :d

I like to use my vg248qe with lightboost/strobing enabled at 10% / 120hz/120 fps or 120hz/240 fps in games because i'm oldschool CRT monitor gamer and sensitive to motion blur lol, and it does not feel much more laggy (to me anyway) than 144 hz without lightboost, maybe there is some extra milliseconds delay with lightboost but for me the crystal clear picture positives outweights the negatives, but of course this is subjective thing 100%

but I want to update to 240hz for lower lag and newer technology, and have been waiting for "perfect" 240 hz monitor to come, and was now waiting for xl2546S to be released, or maybe buy 2746S since this is available in my country, still not decided what to buy, xl2546S/2746S or this asus vg259QM/vg279QM monitor ^^

by the way if I can ask couple questions, did you test elmb-sync ON on the vg279qm at 240hz/240 fps ?

and maybe also other game than cs:go with maybe not solid 240 fps but varying fps 150-240 etc like pubg/fortnite or other more modern games, where its hard to keep 240fps 100% of time?

and/or elmb without elmb-sync ? so no freesync/gsync but strobing on?

it would be very interesting to know how you experience cross-talk and overdrive with elmb and/or elmb-sync ON on this monitor in this situations, at 240-280 hz/240-280 fps or 150-240 fps at 240 hz and so on,

and if possible maybe a photo of testufo blur test at 240/280 hz with elmb/elmb-sync ON would be very interesting to see also, I know there is screenshot on tftcentral but is not best example I think :p if you have chance to do this would be cool but is ok either way of course!

thanks again for the feedback ! is always nice to hear many persons and users real opinions and not just reviews from websites : ) cheers!
Last edited by alexander1986 on 21 Mar 2020, 21:38, edited 2 times in total.

Burgz

Post by Burgz » 21 Mar 2020, 17:43

alexander1986 wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 06:58
tftcentral review is now available for everyone:

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/as ... g279qm.htm

from what I can gather of the review it seems very good and clearly better choice than any TN 240hz panel just because of the superior colors/picture quality vs TN panels, and considering it has actual total input lag / G2G response times fully on par with even some popular 240hz TN monitors like the Asus pg258Q and Acer XF252Q for example, and virtually zero or minimal overshoot that can be noticed in practice,

plus 280hz and strobing at same time as VRR and it actually seems to work well in their review at least (with manual OD setting necessary depending on your typical range of framerate in the game you play / quality settings, more on that below)

some of their results:

Detailed response time / overshoot error Measurements at overclocked 280Hz, Over Drive 80:

and even beating them in total display lag when considering signal processing?:

considering it also is gsync and freesync compatible, and can strobe up to 280hz at the same time as VRR is enabled, all this while doing a decent job at it too, only "problem" is that it seems recommended to adjust overdrive manually if using this ELMB-sync, since there is no automatic variable overdrive like the native g-sync module has built-in, but of course native gsync monitors do not support strobing over 144 hz at this point in time nor do they support strobing with VRR enabled either,

tftcentral seem to conclude that setting the overdrive to 80 is the best choice if your framerate will be in the 200-280 hz/fps range when using VRR and strobing at the same time on this monitor, and 60 if in the 120-200hz/fps range, and finally 40 if in the 60-120hz/fps range in the game and/or at the quality settings you choose to play at the time,

am I right in thinking that this monitor kind of looks like the best choice on the market right now for any gamer? there is also a 25" version of the same monitor which should be the vg259QM, if you want a bit sharper picture, but i'm thinking that maybe the larger targets could also benefit aiming in competitive FPS games and so on with the 27" version, even if its less sharp?

I was kind of ready to order either acer XN253QX or acer XF252Q after a lot of time spent reading reviews and comparisons and user reviews/feedback, but now this monitor or the 25" version of it seems like the best choice out there and im leaning towards this monitor instead :D what do you guys think and did anyone test it ?

Hey are you sure the 25inch variant is for sale? I can only find the 25inch available at 144hz - or the 27inch for 280hz

davidoo

Post by davidoo » 21 Mar 2020, 17:59

Just purchased the monitor earlier. Waiting for it to arrive.

Whats the most optimal settings, for lowest input latency? Freesync/ULMB and all such stuff off?

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 21 Mar 2020, 21:35

davidoo wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 17:59

Whats the most optimal settings, for lowest input latency? Freesync/ULMB and all such stuff off?
nice! would be nice with a small review when you get it !

for absolute lowest input latency then yeah I guess no strobing and no freesync but honestly, the delay when using freesync / gsync correctly, with a framerate capped at 3 fps below the refreshrate (so 237 fps or 277 fps on this monitor at 240/280 hz) is so small I doubt anyone in the world can tell the difference, blur busters has the hard numbers on it here:

(taken from the blurbusters gsync guide: https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... ettings/6/ )

but the benefits of using an adaptive sync like gsync or freesync is no tearing and a very smooth experience, vsync ON with virtually zero added lag..

as for strobing like ULMB, or as its called on this monitor with asus own tech "ELMB" (ELMB-Sync is also available on this monitor which makes Asus unique in the market right now, as it combines freesync and strobing at the same time) usually adds no more than a few milliseconds of delay,

I guess its possible some people can feel this delay but for me, the motion clarity benefit outweighs any potential added delay for me personally anyway, im using blur reduction on my ancient asus vg248qe monitor at 120 hz/240 fps in fortnite and it feels very responsive but most importantly zero motion blur and ghosting, but some people arent as sensitive to motion blur and prefer to play without it, so whats nice with this monitor is you have so many options and configurations IMO :p can test all combinations until you find something you like the most or change it up depending on game (fastpaced high framerate FPS shooters vs lower framerate high graphics quality solo games and so on)

my 2 cents !

Burgz wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 17:43

Hey are you sure the 25inch variant is for sale? I can only find the 25inch available at 144hz - or the 27inch for 280hz
in my country (Sweden) the 25 inch variant VG259QM is in stock in a lot of online and physical pc stores at least right now when I take a look, you sure you searched for the right model name? "VG259QM" if you buy it give us a review please anyway ! : D

Burgz

Post by Burgz » 21 Mar 2020, 22:20

alexander1986 wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 21:35
davidoo wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 17:59

nice! would be nice with a small review when you get it !

for absolute lowest input latency then yeah I guess no strobing and no freesync but honestly, the delay when using freesync / gsync correctly, with a framerate capped at 3 fps below the refreshrate (so 237 fps or 277 fps on this monitor at 240/280 hz) is so small I doubt anyone in the world can tell the difference, blur busters has the hard numbers on it here:

(taken from the blurbusters gsync guide: https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... ettings/6/ )

but the benefits of using an adaptive sync like gsync or freesync is no tearing and a very smooth experience, vsync ON with virtually zero added lag..

as for strobing like ULMB, or as its called on this monitor with asus own tech "ELMB" (ELMB-Sync is also available on this monitor which makes Asus unique in the market right now, as it combines freesync and strobing at the same time) usually adds no more than a few milliseconds of delay,

I guess its possible some people can feel this delay but for me, the motion clarity benefit outweighs any potential added delay for me personally anyway, im using blur reduction on my ancient asus vg248qe monitor at 120 hz/240 fps in fortnite and it feels very responsive but most importantly zero motion blur and ghosting, but some people arent as sensitive to motion blur and prefer to play without it, so whats nice with this monitor is you have so many options and configurations IMO :p can test all combinations until you find something you like the most or change it up depending on game (fastpaced high framerate FPS shooters vs lower framerate high graphics quality solo games and so on)

my 2 cents !

Burgz wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 17:43

in my country (Sweden) the 25 inch variant VG259QM is in stock in a lot of online and physical pc stores at least right now when I take a look, you sure you searched for the right model name? "VG259QM" if you buy it give us a review please anyway ! : D

Ah okay - I guess it's not for sale in the US yet. Do you know the price for the 25/ 27 in Sweden? Wondering how much cheaper the 25is

Thanks

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 22 Mar 2020, 01:04

Burgz wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 22:20

Ah okay - I guess it's not for sale in the US yet. Do you know the price for the 25/ 27 in Sweden? Wondering how much cheaper the 25is

Thanks
just checked and interestingly they seem to go for more or less the exact same price, might be some "campaign" or offer from Asus in Europe or something, anyway I compared them with this "pricerunner.se" site that is like a price checker for swedish pc shops, and the cheapest price for both models is 4000-4200 SEK so that is Swedish Crowns for both models, give or take 100 or 200 SEK depending on shipping/discount offers at the moment and so on,

4000 SEK is around 360 US Dollars at this point as far as I can tell, you could probably get it from amazon or something by the way , at least I would guess so, good luck anyway!

sk1p

Post by sk1p » 22 Mar 2020, 01:41

alexander1986 wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 17:21
sk1p wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 02:02
Hi!

Good luck! )

hello, thanks a lot for the detailed answer ! : )

its interesting that you find this monitor better than for example xl2540 in CS go hmm very interesting! but maybe not so strange since xl2540 is older generation panel compared to new TN 240hz "0.5ms" panels, still interesting !

actually I also have asus vg248QE now for almost 8 years since 2013 or 2012 is when I bought it lol, but I still love it today, very solid monitor overall :d

I like to use my vg248qe with lightboost/strobing enabled at 10% / 120hz/120 fps or 120hz/240 fps in games because i'm oldschool CRT monitor gamer and sensitive to motion blur lol, and it does not feel much more laggy (to me anyway) than 144 hz without lightboost, maybe there is some extra milliseconds delay with lightboost but for me the crystal clear picture positives outweights the negatives, but of course this is subjective thing 100%

but I want to update to 240hz for lower lag and newer technology, and have been waiting for "perfect" 240 hz monitor to come, and was now waiting for xl2546S to be released, or maybe buy 2746S since this is available in my country, still not decided what to buy, xl2546S/2746S or this asus vg259QM/vg279QM monitor ^^

by the way if I can ask couple questions, did you test elmb-sync ON on the vg279qm at 240hz/240 fps ?

and maybe also other game than cs:go with maybe not solid 240 fps but varying fps 150-240 etc like pubg/fortnite or other more modern games, where its hard to keep 240fps 100% of time?

and/or elmb without elmb-sync ? so no freesync/gsync but strobing on?

it would be very interesting to know how you experience cross-talk and overdrive with elmb and/or elmb-sync ON on this monitor in this situations, at 240-280 hz/240-280 fps or 150-240 fps at 240 hz and so on,

and if possible maybe a photo of testufo blur test at 240/280 hz with elmb/elmb-sync ON would be very interesting to see also, I know there is screenshot on tftcentral but is not best example I think :p if you have chance to do this would be cool but is ok either way of course!

thanks again for the feedback ! is always nice to hear many persons and users real opinions and not just reviews from websites : ) cheers!
I don't use ELMB, but will try to test in the nearest future. I tried this on LG 27GK750F and my eyes hurted and also it adds input lag in CS GO, so I just leave it turned off. I tested in lower fps games Mechwarrior 5 mercenaries and Sekiro and there are no problems for me, I can play comfortable these games, don't have other on my PC right now, will try Doom Eternal soon. And as for my previous Asus vg248qe which I used for 2 years, my eyes don't tire on VG279QM after long 4-6 hours games in CS, but always were tired on VG248QE, wanted to note this as one more good thing.