Any way to reduce brightness past 0?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
senny22

Any way to reduce brightness past 0?

Post by senny22 » 16 Mar 2020, 15:01

I've set my brightness to 0 and reduced all my color levels to reduce brightness but it's still quite bright. Any way to reduce brightness on my monitor?

Falkentyne

Re: Any way to reduce brightness past 0?

Post by Falkentyne » 17 Mar 2020, 15:37

Would help if you told us what monitor you have.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Mar 2020, 15:45

This has been a consternation with some of readers.

There are multiple methods to go below 0

1. Buy a neutral density filter from Amazon or eBay and put it on your monitor.
Here's an example of an ND sheet big enough to cover a 24" gaming monitor to reduce brightness by approximately 0.3 F-stop. There are also other filters (the large rectangle sheets, not the circular filters) if you need much more darkening.

or

2. Use NVIDIA Control Panel to reduce brightness further. (This will decrease contrast ratio though, because brights are digitally dimmed). Make sure Lagom contrast pattern isn't compromised when you do (may need to adjust both Brightness and Contrast sliders simultaneously until things look as good as possible) -- www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

senny22

Post by senny22 » 20 Mar 2020, 03:54

Falkentyne wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 15:37
Would help if you told us what monitor you have.
I have the Acer Nitro XF252QX, I should note that I have this problem on one of my other monitors as well and that's a VA panel.

senny22

Post by senny22 » 20 Mar 2020, 03:59

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 15:45
This has been a consternation with some of readers.

There are multiple methods to go below 0

1. Buy a neutral density filter from Amazon or eBay and put it on your monitor.
Here's an example of an ND sheet big enough to cover a 24" gaming monitor to reduce brightness by approximately 0.3 F-stop. There are also other filters (the large rectangle sheets, not the circular filters) if you need much more darkening.

or

2. Use NVIDIA Control Panel to reduce brightness further. (This will decrease contrast ratio though, because brights are digitally dimmed). Make sure Lagom contrast pattern isn't compromised when you do (may need to adjust both Brightness and Contrast sliders simultaneously until things look as good as possible) -- www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php
Thanks alot! I have an AMD gpu but guess that the situation in 2. is the same. I've tried playing with brightness and contrast and it removes the first 3 darkest boxes but I guess that's the tradeoff.

Edit: I figured it out. If I only reduce contrast in the AMD panel, I can still see all boxes in the LCD lagom site. I'm pleased with this for now as it's my TN monitor that's to bright and I'm not overly concerned with the color performance on that panel either.

Cattiy19

Post by Cattiy19 » 27 Mar 2020, 07:18

I have the same problem too with the XF252QX. I thought it was the missing bluelight filter option. Using brightness 10 as mentioned in the tftcentral review my eyes hurt very much after a 2 hour gaming session.

senny22

Post by senny22 » 27 Mar 2020, 12:17

Cattiy19 wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 07:18
I have the same problem too with the XF252QX. I thought it was the missing bluelight filter option. Using brightness 10 as mentioned in the tftcentral review my eyes hurt very much after a 2 hour gaming session.
Yeah, I put my brightness to 0 and lowered to contrast in the AMD panel to around 30 which is at a comfortable level for me now.