Exceeding the max. pixel clock of a monitor harmful?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
sempronius

Exceeding the max. pixel clock of a monitor harmful?

Post by sempronius » 21 Mar 2020, 20:00

Question:
Is raising the pixel clock value in CRU beyond the maximum pixel clock of a monitor harmful? Could it damage the monitor?

At present, I use a Dell P2720D (great monitor, by the way).

CRU tells me about this monitor:
V rate: 49-75 Hz
H rate: 29-113 Hz
Max pixel clock: 280 MHz

By default, this monitor comes with 2560x1440@60Hz.

I created a custom resolution of 2560x1440@74Hz (the difference between 60 Hz and 74 Hz is worth it in games!).

But I could only achieve this refresh rate of 74 Hz by using settings that imply a pixel clock of 291.29 MHz - which is beyond the specified max pixel clock of 280 MHz. - (The H rate is within the permitted range (see above): 110.337 kHz.)

Without getting too technical, does disrespecting the maximum limit of the pixel clock reduce the life-span of a monitor or cause any damage?

All I can say is, that the monitor picture is normal, responsiveness in games is excellent - but I am worried because I did not respect the maximum pixel clock. (I am not that worried when creating lower custom resolutions, of course)

Thanks for useful replies.

sempronius

Re: Exceeding the max. pixel clock of a monitor harmful?

Post by sempronius » 24 Mar 2020, 11:58

Though there are no answers so far, I would like to add something more to my question:

If I have a monitor with a native resolution (and a custom refresh rate) of "2560x1440@74Hz" and set it to "1920x1080@74Hz" but using "no scaling" (in my case: no GPU scaling as "display: no scaling" is unavailable", I don't know for what reason...), what pixel clock is in effect then? The lower pixel clock of 1920x1080 or still(!) the higher pixel clock of the higher (native) resolution?

I just found in some thread of this forum that "display (down)scaling" uses the "real, lower resolution", whilst "GPU scaling" just uses the normal resolution and emulates a lower resolution, is that right? - I suppose, using the "no scaling" option (via GPU) still means: the higher resolution is active and also its higher pixel clock, right?

I guess, someone must be able to answer these questions.
Many thanks in advance.

sempronius

Post by sempronius » 05 Apr 2020, 18:15

Anyone able or willing to help with these questions?

Dwedit

Post by Dwedit » 21 Jul 2020, 16:24

Topic hasn't had a response in a few months, but if you exceed the capabilities of an LCD panel, you get an unaligned shaky picture that randomly misses pixels on various scanlines, until you go back to a mode that it supports. May need to boot in Safe Mode to get back to a supported mode, so you can change the parameters back to something that works.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 21 Jul 2020, 17:01

sempronius wrote:
05 Apr 2020, 18:15
Anyone able or willing to help with these questions?
Unlike CRTs, it's relatively safe to drive LCD monitors past their native specs. No guarantees, but it's very rare that a monitor gets damaged.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.