Windows 1H 2020 update

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
MajorFoley

Windows 1H 2020 update

Post by MajorFoley » 24 Mar 2020, 10:31

So heard that Windows is finally updating their WDM although there still might be some issues from different refresh rate monitors. One of those workarounds usually suggested was to turn off hardware acceleration in your browsers or apps when you were playing games. Will this update let us turn it back on?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Windows 1H 2020 update

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Mar 2020, 20:14

MajorFoley wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 10:31
One of those workarounds usually suggested was to turn off hardware acceleration in your browsers or apps when you were playing games. Will this update let us turn it back on?
I never had to turn off hardware acceleration in browsers, as long as I was playing my game in full-screen-exclusive on the primary monitor.

You probably will get a bit more flexibility with the new drivers, but people will need to test this more fully.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MajorFoley

Post by MajorFoley » 25 Mar 2020, 01:06

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 20:14
MajorFoley wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 10:31
One of those workarounds usually suggested was to turn off hardware acceleration in your browsers or apps when you were playing games. Will this update let us turn it back on?
I never had to turn off hardware acceleration in browsers, as long as I was playing my game in full-screen-exclusive on the primary monitor.

You probably will get a bit more flexibility with the new drivers, but people will need to test this more fully.
Thanks for the info, I prefer to play in borderless window just for the ease of alt tabbing while streaming so im hoping this will help with some of that. Guess its gonna be a wait and see game.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Mar 2020, 01:18

MajorFoley wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 01:06
Thanks for the info, I prefer to play in borderless window just for the ease of alt tabbing while streaming so im hoping this will help with some of that. Guess its gonna be a wait and see game.
Be careful you have nothing in motion on the 2nd monitor because Windows compositing create some pretty bad behaviours. Running www.testufo.com/animation-time-graph on the primary monitor tends to get quite nasty when there's any motion in any window on the 2nd monitor.

Hopefully the new 1H 2020 update helps with this.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MajorFoley

Post by MajorFoley » 25 Mar 2020, 01:25

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 01:18
MajorFoley wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 01:06
Be careful you have nothing in motion on the 2nd monitor because Windows compositing create some pretty bad behaviours. Running www.testufo.com/animation-time-graph on the primary monitor tends to get quite nasty when there's any motion in any window on the 2nd monitor.

Hopefully the new 1H 2020 update helps with this.
It's what I'm hoping for (most of us i reckon), and yeah i ran a couple of old games, mainly AVP2: Primal hunt and boy if i had OBS active on the 2nd window it played hell with the games framerate, hid the preview and it fixed the issue.
Hopefully Microsoft won't make too many mistakes with this.

EDIT: Do you ever think Microsoft will enable separate compositor threads for each monitor? This fix is like a half full moment.