Blur busters strobe utility doesn't work

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Azazello

Blur busters strobe utility doesn't work

Post by Azazello » 28 Mar 2020, 09:47

I have a benQ XL2411P monitor and even though the site says it is supported, when I manually put the monitor config on the utility app, it says that it is not supported.
And, putting it on auto seems to make the utility app work, but changing any of the settings doesn't do anything whatsoever.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Blur busters strobe utility doesn't work

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Mar 2020, 21:32

Azazello wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 09:47
I have a benQ XL2411P monitor and even though the site says it is supported, when I manually put the monitor config on the utility app, it says that it is not supported.
And, putting it on auto seems to make the utility app work, but changing any of the settings doesn't do anything whatsoever.
Which cable are you using?
1. Try a different graphics port on the monitor
2. Try a different graphics port on the GPU
3. Try running Blur Busters Strobe Utility in Administrator Mode. (Right click, Run As Administrator).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Azazello

Post by Azazello » 29 Mar 2020, 11:12

Hi. Thanks for the response.
My cable is a display port since my monitor is on 144HZ.
Unfortunately, I only have one display port slot behind the monitor so I couldn't try another one.
I do have 2 other ports on the GPU, and I've tried them all out, but nothing changed.
I tried running the strobe utility program as administrator and I discovered that one time out of 10 times (not accurate, but pretty rarely)
the program actually recognizes the monitor as compatible (XL2411P), but changing the settings still doesn't do anything.
Also, I have another post on this site. And I didn't get any response, I hoped you could help me:
'This was before using any blur reduction tool whatsoever, but randomly while playing, I had motion blur reduction on, and the brightness obviously was lower because of MBR being on, the monitor's brightness turned way up (LIKE WAY WAY UP) with motion blur reduction still on, and now whenever I turn MBR on the brightness goes up instead of going down as it should.
I hope you can help me, have a great day!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Mar 2020, 19:06

Hmmm.
When you are using Blur Busters Strobe Utility, make sure MBR is turned on via menus, before you use the utility. Ideally, that should be working. You can also instead use the Factory Menu instead of Blur Busters Strobe Utility --- viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2467

As for brightness brighter with MBR on, that can happen if your memorize brightness setting is very low for non-MBR and brightness setting is very high for MBR (or very wide pulse width). Or if you adjusted "Persistence" very bright (high persistence).

So it's possible for the brightest MBR to exceed the dimmest non-MBR.

The brightness setting may be memorized separately for MBR versus non-MBR. Ideally, adjust Brightness to maximum in MBR mode, then adjust Persistence in Strobe Utility (or Strobe Duty Cycle in Factory Menu) to a smaller value. That way, you can get the reduced blur of lower persistence (shorter strobe pulses).

1. Turn on MBR
2. Reset OSD brightness to 100%
3. Load Strobe Utility (or the Factory Menu)
4. Adjust "Persistence" (app) or "Strobe Duty" (menu). Does the brightness change? Now adjust it to preferred brightness.
5. Adjust "Crosstalk" (app) or "Strobe Phase" (menu). While watching the built-in Crosstalk test (same as www.testufo.com/crosstalk ...)

This is what it should look like when adjusting "Crosstalk" or "Strobe Phase" while watching a test:

Nothing will happen if you don't watch UFOs. Only adjust while watching UFOs, follow the instructions at: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6430 ... Now adjust for lag-priority or image-quality-priority as explained in that thread.
Azazello wrote:
29 Mar 2020, 11:12
'This was before using any blur reduction tool whatsoever, but randomly while playing, I had motion blur reduction on, and the brightness obviously was lower because of MBR being on, the monitor's brightness turned way up (LIKE WAY WAY UP) with motion blur reduction still on, and now whenever I turn MBR on the brightness goes up instead of going down as it should.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Azazello

Post by Azazello » 30 Mar 2020, 05:58

Thanks for the response. So, I have the brightness on 100 in both non-MBR and MBR settings, and MBR on is still brighter than non-MBR.
I tried going in the service menu and changing settings you told me to, but no noticeable changes happen. But I discovered that changing the settings in the service menu sort of updates the utility because whenever I changed the settings in the service menu, they were sort of updated and were the same on the utility app. As I said, changing the setting didn't change anything.
I really don't know what to do...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Mar 2020, 14:06

Azazello wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 05:58
Thanks for the response. So, I have the brightness on 100 in both non-MBR and MBR settings, and MBR on is still brighter than non-MBR.
This can happen with certain models of voltage-boosted strobe backlights. BenQ DyAC manages to do that on the XL2546 and XL2546S to avoid the strobe-dimming problem -- equalling strobed vs non-strobed. But it can be adjusted dimmer via Strobe Duty (or Persistence).

That said, it is working via the Factory Menu? I assume when you adjust Service Menu (Strobe Duty), you can still get this dimmer than non-MBR with shorter Strobe Duty settings. If brightness does not change while adjusting Strobe Duty in Factory Menu, then something is malfunctioning.

Are you able to try a different computer temporarily -- such as a laptop -- to see if it has ability to adjust the monitor?