[Bracket Pressure Spot] Weird rounded TN bleed after UPS shipping

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
SilverOne

[Bracket Pressure Spot] Weird rounded TN bleed after UPS shipping

Post by SilverOne » 30 Mar 2020, 15:58

I recently moved and sent my acer xn253qx through UPS.

I noticed it seems to have a new weird (round like) TN bleed, could this be because of shipping ? i actually shipped it in the original box.
20200330_225043.jpg
20200330_225043.jpg (112.4 KiB) Viewed 3433 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

[Bracket Pressure Spot] Re: Weird rounded TN bleed after UPS shipping

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Mar 2020, 00:57

SilverOne wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 15:58
I recently moved and sent my acer xn253qx through UPS.
I noticed it seems to have a new weird (round like) TN bleed, could this be because of shipping ? i actually shipped it in the original box.
Yes, that's the back bracket pressure spot, common in freshly shipped monitors -- when they don't ship upgright. Also may happen when repacked too tightly (i.e. something pressing on the screen surface).

Pressure spots, like pushing a finger on a panel, except the weight of the back bracket was pushing on the monitor while the monitor was shipped flat.

There's a reason why monitors need to be shipped upright (if it came in a generic box, some ebayers/Amazon sellers may have forgotten to paste huge fluorescent "Ship Upright Arrow" sticker on all 4 sides of the box which you should manually affix yourself if your shippable box doesn't already contain them). But sometime the shippers ignore that, argh, and that hairpulls Chief Blur Buster because it's shipping-related artifact (sometimes temporary artifact / sometimes permanent damage). Ugh. Happened to some of my monitors.

Fortunately, it's sometimes fixable: Time + heat.

Self Fix Option: To fix this, run nonstop for 48 hours (no screensaver, no sleep) in upright position at maximum brightness, while playing lots of video, preferably with the thermostat raised in the same room to a few degrees above room temp. It may fade, just like pressure spots slowly fade after you've pressed on an LCD. Heat (for liquid crystal reflow) and pixel exercise (keep the moleculues moving) helps pressure marks to an extent. After all, LCD stands for Liquid Crystal Display, and you've got an uneven distribution of those liquid crystals molecules now.
... If if partially fixed after 24-48 hours, keep going. Even just regular normal use will continue to fix it slowly over time. Keep the monitor powered continuously will accelerate reflow to fix pressure spots. Adjusting monitor tilt (tilt as vertically flat as possible, or slightly downwards) to reduce internal bracket stress on the panel's rear, may slightly speed up the fading of bracket-related pressure spots.

Warranty Fix Option: If not partially fixed within 48 hours, then RMA it if you can. Pressure spots sometimes become permanent with excess sustained pressure. This is the most common route to take for faulty shipping by manufacturer or Amazon.

Hacker Fix for Out-Of-Warranty: If you're out of warranty and the monitor is considered spoiled for you, you can try to remove the panel from the monitor, and carefully just set it aside flat unattended for a few weeks. Or to accelerate it by "baking" it flat on a tray at approximately ~70C-80C (well under boiling point, please) in an laboratory oven (not your house oven!) to attempt to reflow the liquid crystals around a bit under gentle uniform heat. But do this only if you now despise the monitor and was planning to throw it away, and you're already an electronics hacker.

Liquid crystals (in an LCD) is an ultra-thin film layer inside a glass sandwich, and flows around very slowly, only a few millimeters per day sometimes for cold panel, so TIME (and careful heat) is your friend for LC reflow. Personally I'd simply run the display hot (24/7 power at max brightness) and let regular computer use be your friend in slowly erasing your bracket pressure spot.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

SilverOne

Re: [Bracket Pressure Spot] Weird rounded TN bleed after UPS shipping

Post by SilverOne » 31 Mar 2020, 11:00

Thank you so much for your reply, by leaving the monitor upright, you just mean leaving it on the stand, correct ?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Mar 2020, 13:17

SilverOne wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 11:00
Thank you so much for your reply, by leaving the monitor upright, you just mean leaving it on the stand, correct ?
Yes.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

SilverOne

Post by SilverOne » 07 Apr 2020, 12:41

Some good news.

After 40 hours i started to notice an improvement, i kept the monitor on for 4 days and now it seems to have made a full recovery. thank you.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Apr 2020, 13:33

SilverOne wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 12:41
Some good news.

After 40 hours i started to notice an improvement, i kept the monitor on for 4 days and now it seems to have made a full recovery. thank you.
Excellent news.

Shipping is always full of Murphy's Law when they "almost wreck" a monitor in this manner, ignoring the 4 big fluorescent "RIGHT SIDE UP ARROW" sitckers that I put on all 4 sides of the monitor boxes. The stickers help a lot but doesn't always compel all people at a shipping company. Especially if they're playing Tetris with a nearly-full truck and they rotate the box to fit. I always know when it's never shipped upright -- the dreaded "bracket pressure spot" pattern is the dead giveaway. It can become permanent if the monitor was stored for months in a flat position.

Glad it was only temporary in your case!