What settings for Asus VG259QM 240hz vs 160~fps

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
forii

What settings for Asus VG259QM 240hz vs 160~fps

Post by forii » 01 Apr 2020, 11:11

Hello,

I already bought this Asus version of 24 inch - VG259QM, I waitng for deliver for now.

I really hope the version of VG259QM will not be worse compare to 27 inch (VG279QM ), because I already found that 27 inch has wider gamma. Hopefully thats only downside, I really want faster version like these 27 inch with low input lag and fast response time

I got questions though.

I heard that best is to set
"-strobing + VRR + overdrive 60 with the framerate capped at 200fps so there's not *too* much frame variation.
tftcentral seem to conclude that setting the overdrive to 80 is the best choice if your framerate will be in the 200-280 hz/fps range when using VRR and strobing at the same time on this monitor, and 60 if in the 120-200hz/fps range, and finally 40 if in the 60-120hz/fps range in the game and/or at the quality settings you choose to play at the time,"
If it comes to the Hz I know that 240hz is most stable and best option + overdride in OSD for 80, but after I read that I believe if my fps will be around 120-200 fps range the best will be 60 right?

I play Call of Duty Warzone and even with 1080ti aorusu + 8700k after OC, my avg fps is 160~

So actually I should use 60overdrive, 240hz? or maybe use 280hz (to have lower lag + overdrive at 60 + cap fps around 160 to have stable frame rate)

Also, do I need to run G-sync + v sync in NVCP? And what about FPS cap? because for sure I will not run over 240hz, so maybe in this case I do not need to cap the fps ?
This one guy said that
"-strobing + VRR + overdrive 60 with the framerate capped at 200fps so there's not *too* much frame variation.
So maybe I should actually cap it to hold stable fps? Im consufed, because when I have avg 160 fps I already have almost 90+% GPU Usage which gives a lot of input lag(that is what I heard). So in this case it is actually better to have 144hz monitor instead of 240hz. Im so confused

I got 8700k OC 4,9GHZ and 1080ti AORUS

sk1p

Re: What settings for Asus VG259QM 240hz vs 160~fps

Post by sk1p » 02 Apr 2020, 10:28

Hi. (English is not my native)

I have been using VG279QM for 20 days. Bought it for CS GO and work. You are right, VG259QM will be better. Full HD with 27 little bit irritates me. In CS GO I am happy with this monitor after VG248QE, but with work sometimes I see "corn", but it's not so awfully for me and I can live with it. Unfortunately, there is no VG259QM in the shops at the time of my purchase. I had before(in August) TN 240hz Acer Nitro XF252QX, motion clarity there was little bit better in CS GO(subjective opinion, but VG279QM also cool, don't have possibility to compare them beside), but as for input lag VG279QM seems to me slightly faster(subjective opinion again, so fast as Asus VG248QE).

So what about settings(in my opinion and experience):

1) I recommend do not use 280hz, because of input lag, it's not playable with it but motion clarity slightly better), so I stick to default 240hz.

2) I do not use ELMB, don't like it in CS GO.

3) My best game experience with default OD 60, meanwhile tftcentral recommends to use 80, but gamesense in CS GO became strange, sometimes bullets like are not counted, so my best aim with OD 60 and 240hz.

4) One more important thing with VG279QM that input lag lower with display scaling and turned off substitution of scaling. With GPU scaling mouse little bit swim in CS and becomes harder for me to aim, before on VG248QE I had GPU scaling and everything was right, but not with VG279QM. (if you have Nvidia card, with AMD probably scaling on display will be better also).

forii

Post by forii » 02 Apr 2020, 13:06

Thanks @sk1p

I already have this monitor today and I was playing a lot with settings and gaming, it is actually insane, its like new age of fast IPS monitors with so fast response and low input lag, very good motion blur + 240hz. It is such upgrade for TN panels with bad colors, and you only lose like 1ms (because this asus has 3.6 AVG response time, compare to others also around 2,5~ response time, fastest ips panel I have ever seen). You might not have great motion blur like on TN panels but actually with 240hz is actually very very decent!!!

And yes I already use 240 Hz default with 60 OD. -> 60 OD is better for 120-200 fps range which I reach in my game. I would use OD 80 if I have 240+ fps

Here are my monitor settings for FPS games I set up for my Call of Duty Warzone
- FPS Mode (with default 90 brightness + 80 contrast) - very decent mode which up your brightness, I don't doubt why they call it like that.
- Color Temp I actually use based on tft central calibration (Red=98, Green = 99, Blue 98 - instead of 96 because otherwise it is too much yellow for me)
- Saturation = 60 (but still testing, depends of the map)
- VividPixel = 100 (you see more clear/sharper enemies)
- Shadow Boost = lvl 2 (im not sure about this Dynamic Adjustment, it works weird)

I only have problems with very light spots, where I can't see throught sun light, that is why maybe I consider to lower my brightness from 90 to maybe 80, will see. Or I just avoid sun light fight :D

For desktop work I use default mode (racing + users colors like upside, rest default) but I can't adjust to the low brightness which tftcentral recommends on calibration, brightness = 9 is so low and I can't see a lot, I use Brightess at 50 work my desktop work/movies, and it is still not that high, so I believe this is personal.

I also dont use ELMB because that is only for stable 200 - 280Hz.

I haven't tested yet the G-sync + V-sync enabled in NVCP and I think I will not use that because high Hz like 240 gives me barely any tearing anyway. The only problem might be the stutters.

What I found is that is good to use in game fps limiter to limit the fps at 200, so the gpu is not loaded at full 99%, but max at 97% instead.
There is also option number 2 = to lock fps in game to your AVG FPS, or even lower to have stable framerate time. (in my case it would be 150 fps lock with of course max 240hz.

For sure the all in game settings needs to be put at lowest possible to have as much fps as possible + lowest gpu load (except maybe textures which I have at low instead of very low - its only 2 fps anyway and there is difference in the quality of textures).

If it comes to NULL I still don't know how it works, but I found the best and stable is using just =1 (old pre render frames 1).
I wonder how does it work with MSI MODE UTILITY which I use for my 1080ti (it helps with gpu latency)
I also use app called: Intelligent standby list cleaner ISLC which lower my Timer Resolution to = 0,5ms (but for that you need some tweaks for the system, like turning off HPET in windows (HPET in bios ON) - you need to look for that on your own if you want.

If it comes to the scaling that is what I always used (I found image from google to post english setting)
Full screen + display scaling, in my language the override scaling of games its translated differently, because its actually called: " skip the scaling used by games and programs" - which sounds nice, you want me to turn that on?

sk1p

Post by sk1p » 02 Apr 2020, 14:13

Yep, I have the same setting with scaling mode and without override. Tried every options, this one the best for me.

As for the monitor settings, I prefer to set one universal variant for job and games and not change it. I tried different options and stick with the nearest to default one:

240hz, 60OD (80 OD should be better regarding to TFTcentral with my fps_max 300 in CS GO, but for better game experience I like more 60, don't agree with TFTcentral about this), V-sync off, ELMB off, GameVisual - Racing, Shadow Boost off(before I played with level 1, but it spoil colors in some cases for me so decided to turn off and default I like more), Brightness 70, Contrast 75, VividPixel 0, color mode - USER(default). May be I will try TFTcentral settings of colors later, but I like current.

Thanks for sharing your experience. This is the first 240hz panel which I didn't return to the shop :D (before I had many 240hz TN panels: Benq XL2540, AW2518HF, LG 27GK750F, Acer Nitro XF252QX - I wasn't satisfed by these monitors in different cases: input lag, crosshatching and etc)

forii

Post by forii » 03 Apr 2020, 16:54

sk1p wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 14:13
Yep, I have the same setting with scaling mode and without override. Tried every options, this one the best for me.

As for the monitor settings, I prefer to set one universal variant for job and games and not change it. I tried different options and stick with the nearest to default one:

240hz, 60OD (80 OD should be better regarding to TFTcentral with my fps_max 300 in CS GO, but for better game experience I like more 60, don't agree with TFTcentral about this), V-sync off, ELMB off, GameVisual - Racing, Shadow Boost off(before I played with level 1, but it spoil colors in some cases for me so decided to turn off and default I like more), Brightness 70, Contrast 75, VividPixel 0, color mode - USER(default). May be I will try TFTcentral settings of colors later, but I like current.

Thanks for sharing your experience. This is the first 240hz panel which I didn't return to the shop :D (before I had many 240hz TN panels: Benq XL2540, AW2518HF, LG 27GK750F, Acer Nitro XF252QX - I wasn't satisfed by these monitors in different cases: input lag, crosshatching and etc)
What setting would u run if you had fps around 130-200~?

What about NULL?

sk1p

Post by sk1p » 04 Apr 2020, 04:30

forii wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 16:54
sk1p wrote:

What about NULL?
Yesterday calibrated again, didn't like the TFTcentral settings, right now I have 70 brightness, 70 contrast, color mode - normal and shadow boost level 1. I play Doom Eternal and CS GO only right now, have in DOOM 60-70 fps, it's fine with these settings.

forii

Post by forii » 04 Apr 2020, 06:30

sk1p wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 04:30
forii wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 16:54
sk1p wrote:

What about NULL?
Yesterday calibrated again, didn't like the TFTcentral settings, right now I have 70 brightness, 70 contrast, color mode - normal and shadow boost level 1. I play Doom Eternal and CS GO only right now, have in DOOM 60-70 fps, it's fine with these settings.
it all depends on your preferences, i also changed my user colors settings to my own, i use now 100 red, 100 blue and 96 green because I don't like green that much :D
Btw do you have also your edges on the screen quite less enlightened?
If I look right in the front of my monitor, on the white screen, left down edge of my monitor is like 5% less brightness compare to the middle.
Edit. Ok I read that is pretty common with IPS Panels

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 23 May 2020, 05:13

forii wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 13:06
Thanks @sk1p

I already have this monitor today and I was playing a lot with settings and gaming, it is actually insane, its like new age of fast IPS monitors with so fast response and low input lag, very good motion blur + 240hz. It is such upgrade for TN panels with bad colors, and you only lose like 1ms (because this asus has 3.6 AVG response time, compare to others also around 2,5~ response time, fastest ips panel I have ever seen). You might not have great motion blur like on TN panels but actually with 240hz is actually very very decent!!!

And yes I already use 240 Hz default with 60 OD. -> 60 OD is better for 120-200 fps range which I reach in my game. I would use OD 80 if I have 240+ fps

Here are my monitor settings for FPS games I set up for my Call of Duty Warzone
- FPS Mode (with default 90 brightness + 80 contrast) - very decent mode which up your brightness, I don't doubt why they call it like that.
- Color Temp I actually use based on tft central calibration (Red=98, Green = 99, Blue 98 - instead of 96 because otherwise it is too much yellow for me)
- Saturation = 60 (but still testing, depends of the map)
- VividPixel = 100 (you see more clear/sharper enemies)
- Shadow Boost = lvl 2 (im not sure about this Dynamic Adjustment, it works weird)

I only have problems with very light spots, where I can't see throught sun light, that is why maybe I consider to lower my brightness from 90 to maybe 80, will see. Or I just avoid sun light fight :D

For desktop work I use default mode (racing + users colors like upside, rest default) but I can't adjust to the low brightness which tftcentral recommends on calibration, brightness = 9 is so low and I can't see a lot, I use Brightess at 50 work my desktop work/movies, and it is still not that high, so I believe this is personal.

I also dont use ELMB because that is only for stable 200 - 280Hz.

I haven't tested yet the G-sync + V-sync enabled in NVCP and I think I will not use that because high Hz like 240 gives me barely any tearing anyway. The only problem might be the stutters.

What I found is that is good to use in game fps limiter to limit the fps at 200, so the gpu is not loaded at full 99%, but max at 97% instead.
There is also option number 2 = to lock fps in game to your AVG FPS, or even lower to have stable framerate time. (in my case it would be 150 fps lock with of course max 240hz.

For sure the all in game settings needs to be put at lowest possible to have as much fps as possible + lowest gpu load (except maybe textures which I have at low instead of very low - its only 2 fps anyway and there is difference in the quality of textures).

If it comes to NULL I still don't know how it works, but I found the best and stable is using just =1 (old pre render frames 1).
I wonder how does it work with MSI MODE UTILITY which I use for my 1080ti (it helps with gpu latency)
I also use app called: Intelligent standby list cleaner ISLC which lower my Timer Resolution to = 0,5ms (but for that you need some tweaks for the system, like turning off HPET in windows (HPET in bios ON) - you need to look for that on your own if you want.

If it comes to the scaling that is what I always used (I found image from google to post english setting)
Full screen + display scaling, in my language the override scaling of games its translated differently, because its actually called: " skip the scaling used by games and programs" - which sounds nice, you want me to turn that on?
I can't change color saturation with my VG259QM, In the "Color" section I can only change Color Temp.
Do you know how to fix it?

NVM it was Racing Mode, I just switched to FPS mode and HOLY SHIT it's so much better even at deafault + now I can tweak saturation.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

jnashville

Post by jnashville » 24 May 2020, 06:22

I am using the vg259qm as well. Playing csgo.

I keep it at 280hz with fps_max 0

Elmb off and OD 80.

I dont have any issue with input lag. My previous monitor is the alienware TN aw2518h 240hz panel. Didnt experience any input lag whatsoever and its snappy. My shots registered properly in csgo.

sk1p

Post by sk1p » 24 May 2020, 09:58

jnashville wrote:
24 May 2020, 06:22
I am using the vg259qm as well. Playing csgo.

I keep it at 280hz with fps_max 0

Elmb off and OD 80.

I dont have any issue with input lag. My previous monitor is the alienware TN aw2518h 240hz panel. Didnt experience any input lag whatsoever and its snappy. My shots registered properly in csgo.
Could you tell what sensitivity do you use? Then I will tell you may theory why fps_max 300 better(as for me:D), I use 240hz OD 60 with VG279QM.