Best option for console games without blur

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
jaquio

Best option for console games without blur

Post by jaquio » 10 Apr 2020, 01:50

Well, i hope i'm not in wrong section asking this, if it's wrong, please forgive a new user mistake.

I wonder if there is a best or mid-ground option for enjoy PS4 or PS4 Pro games through low input lag and minimum motion blur. I just got a BenQ RL2755 and the motion blur is making me nauseous no matter the AMA value. I would buy a 144hz one or higher if it soften up the blur but i don't know how the result would be for 60 fps games.

PS: i didn't know about MPRT response untill 48hrs ago, so yes, the 60hz monitor was the right choice for console but was not a good idea for me due to my motion sickness problem but like i said, i just discovered this forum.

I need to decide if I just return the monitor or exchange it but i need to know if there is actually a solution for me.

Thank you!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Best option for console games without blur

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Apr 2020, 14:55

If you need a strobe backlight technology in a desktop monitor for consoles, the best one is BenQ XL2411P. Not as good colors as IPS, but you can enable motion blur reduction for your 60fps games.

It will flicker a lot at 60Hz, so be warned if you are flicker sensitive. For 30fps, it will create double-image effects (like CRT 30fps at 60Hz). But 90%-95% of motion blur will be completely gone, versus the world's best 60Hz non-strobed LCD panels.

For more information, see motion blur reduction FAQ. Most of these modes only work at 100Hz and up without problems, very few displays such as the BenQ XL2411P will have reduced double-image effects.

Another technique is to buy a 2019 LG OLED HDTV, and use its 60Hz BFI mode to reduce motion blur for your PlayStation / XBox games. Just make sure that the LG TV has a BFI mode.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jaquio

Post by jaquio » 14 Apr 2020, 15:23

Thank you very much for your response, Chief.
I did like the Oled LG recommendation, my only concern with Oled is the Burn-In problem. Well, unless you tell oled burn-in is a past matter.

thank you!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Apr 2020, 15:33

jaquio wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 15:23
Thank you very much for your response, Chief.
I did like the Oled LG recommendation, my only concern with Oled is the Burn-In problem. Well, unless you tell oled burn-in is a past matter.
You have to decide if it is worth it or not. OLED burn-in, backlight wear-tear, IPS glow, TN angles, VA gamma inconsistency, pick your poison!

Personally, there are ways to adjust an OLED monitor (half brightness, orbit, regular reset, etc) to the point where the OLED burn in doesn't become objectionable for a few years, like 3 years. A 1% burn-in is hard to notice even in a solid field, lest a full-detail game. It takes approximately a few-percent of burn in before it gets really annoying to some users. I have seen OLEDs that's been going through 3 years of console gaming with only faint burn-in -- because the person backed off on many settings. Essentially tantamount equivalent to underdriving the OLED. Even that can still be better quality than many cheap LCDs. But it does homework to figure out how to adjust an OLED to make it last much longer.

Ask yourself: How picky are you about which display defect of which technology? It's all a matter of choosing your favourite poison. All displays in humankind are woefully imperfect windows of reality for one reason or another.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

admixues

Post by admixues » 15 Apr 2020, 01:46

Some Sony TVs also have strobing as "motionflow impulse", it looked good to my eyes but the screen got really dim.

jaquio

Post by jaquio » 16 Apr 2020, 17:19

English is not my first language so i still don't know what is "dim", also "strobe backlights" and "microstutters".

Anyway thank you both very much for information and tips!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Apr 2020, 17:53

jaquio wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 17:19
English is not my first language so i still don't know what is "dim", also "strobe backlights" and "microstutters".
To help you with language thesaurus. Translations and animations.

dim = dark = night = low brightness

microstutters = www.testufo.com/stutter

strobe backlights = blur reduction = www.blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction

Unfortunately ULMB doesn't support 60Hz consoles. Most blur reduction is for PC 120 Hz.

Television blur reduction for consoles includes OLED BFI or Sony Motionflow Impulse, or similar.